CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-08-2011, 08:08 AM   #11
Brian Pressman

Profile:
Re: Crossfit's definition of health

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
^^ well yea, and that's the rub. At what point does your exercise routine start taxing your body beyond healthy levels?

And health goes beyond exercise. Sleep, stress, relationships and diet probably impact a person's health more-so than exercise.
I totally agree. But, I was just using Mr. Glassman's definition which excludes all of this stuff (just focusing on fitness/work capacity)
Old 06-08-2011, 08:11 AM   #12
Brian Pressman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
If you want "health" and/or "longevity" you should focus on long walks, tai chi, good genetics, and a traditional diet.

Weight training and crossfit are poor choices for "health" as most define it.
I agree. I was just wondering tho, is crossfit a poor choice given Mr. Glassman's definition? A crossfitter does so much more work than say, a walker... but if he gets hurt more often and misses time due to injury, is the walker ahead in the long run?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:19 AM   #13
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pressman View Post
I agree. I was just wondering tho, is crossfit a poor choice given Mr. Glassman's definition? A crossfitter does so much more work than say, a walker... but if he gets hurt more often and misses time due to injury, is the walker ahead in the long run?
I am confused by why it matters what glassman says. CF - and every thing else in the world - has costs/risk and benefits. If the benefits outweigh the costs to you personally then do it. If not, then don't.

Who cares about any other analysis?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #14
Dan Graziano

Profile:

Like any program there are holes in it. CF is has so many variables because it is pretty easy to gain affiliation with so many new coaches anxious to start affiliates right after or even planning before being certified. Many coaches who are level 1 also have zero experience training/coaching anyone ever and seems to be the "if you build it they will come" mentality.

What does this mean? Overall there are poor coaches that do not teach things properly and result in injury. For example, this gym owner (not CF) went from a construction job to gym owner to CF certified (first certification or education ever in fitness) and has clients at both extremes (newbies and 40+ fat out of shape) cleaning and pressing on day one and when struggling on the press after a ****ty clean, I hear, "come on man, push that **** up, yeah, get some!"

An extreme case yes but from experience it happens quite a bit in some variation or another. The biggest question every person who walks in the box or any gym, is the risk versus the reward less or greater if I start program a,b or c? If the risks are too much walk away and do what Adam suggested (great example btw haha). Just as you could blow out your back out by sneezing you can blow your back out by max deadlifting, with the same odds (assuming you have proper coaching and experience).

CF is not for everyone and may benefit more from 1 on 1 training and BOSU ball workouts. Thats fine, just have to ask yourself what your goals.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #15
Pär Larsson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
If you want "health" and/or "longevity" you should focus on long walks, tai chi, good genetics, and a traditional diet.

Weight training and crossfit are poor choices for "health" as most define it.
Disagree. You're right as most people define "health" but that's not my definition.

A person who for 70 years is strong, fast, capable of doing 80% of the workload of an equal-age professional-level athlete in any one of a multitude of different disciplines, lived a healthier life than the long walk-tai chi-diet guy who lived for 80 years.

What kind of life do you want? What kind of stuff do you want to do with it? Or do you just want to survive, in which case maybe don't ever drive a car or play sports or have an exciting, physically demanding job.

The most dangerous thing we do at CF is drive to the gym. If you just stop driving to the gym, statistically you might very well have a better chance of long-term survival. If I'm right about that, then the average CF lifespan might well be shorter than the general population's.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #16
Andrew James

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Don't tell that to this poor dude....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXFgUAvzUaM (wfs)
Those are the worst "pullups" I've ever seen. Even before the fall.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #17
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pär Larsson View Post
Disagree. You're right as most people define "health" but that's not my definition.

A person who for 70 years is strong, fast, capable of doing 80% of the workload of an equal-age professional-level athlete in any one of a multitude of different disciplines, lived a healthier life than the long walk-tai chi-diet guy who lived for 80 years.

What kind of life do you want? What kind of stuff do you want to do with it? Or do you just want to survive, in which case maybe don't ever drive a car or play sports or have an exciting, physically demanding job.

The most dangerous thing we do at CF is drive to the gym. If you just stop driving to the gym, statistically you might very well have a better chance of long-term survival. If I'm right about that, then the average CF lifespan might well be shorter than the general population's.
I guess I was trying to make my point too subtly because that is exactly what I was saying.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #18
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew James View Post
Those are the worst "pullups" I've ever seen. Even before the fall.
Those look pretty good for butterfly kipping pullups--you've never seen that technique before?
Old 06-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #19
Andrew James

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Those look pretty good for butterfly kipping pullups--you've never seen that technique before?
No, I haven't. And I think it's a joke.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #20
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew James View Post
No, I haven't. And I think it's a joke.
Why is it so much worse than kipping?