CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-01-2010, 09:51 AM   #21
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Reflections after 9 months of CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrik Tomasson View Post
It is a bit of a stock answer on these boards to anyone struggling. Go on SS. Eat like a pig. Drink a vat of milk. You are too weak.

For me the attraction of crossfit is the variety of disciplines and becoming a decent all rounder. I think you can get strong enough to do wods as rxd in an average time by doing plain old mainpage, working hard and resting sensibly. It took me a couple of months.

I've done SS (ok i technically was a you are not doing the programme as I controversially did some cardio on the offdays in the fom of soccer). It worked. I got stronger. But I dont really think theres that much practical advantage to be had by having a 2x bw backsuat as opposed to a 1.5x). Unless you compete in a genuine strength or power sport

You can get obsessive about these things. Eventually your life starts revolving around your lifting. You get heavy. Your thinghs and butt get big. You get slow. Ask any doctor whether they would question the health benefits of lots of heavy lifting and excess calories. You may not be so keen to try.

And really who cares? Why do you need to be that strong? What happened to being quite strong, quite fast, and in good shape?
Patrik,

How does one define strong? The truth is that the VAST majority of CrossFitters could stand to increase their absolute strength. No, they don't all need to become powerlifters, but any male that lifts weights for more than 6 months should be able to demonstrate decent strength and many CrossFitters cannot.

I think the approach of focusing on strength for a period and then getting back to a more met-con approach is not a bad idea at all. Once you have built a certain level of strength it is relatively easy to maintain the majority of it (not talking about elite levels here).

Oh, and no, I don't think SS is the best way to do it. Keep in mind also that I said FOCUS on strength, that doesn't mean you need to drop your CF training entirely.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #22
Derek Franks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stone View Post
he stated he had been doing it for 9 months without gaining appropriate levels of strength ...
Did you actually read everything he wrote? Because that's pretty much NOT what he said he was doing. For 4 out of the last 5 months, his only workout has been the CFWU.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:44 AM   #23
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Franks View Post
Did you actually read everything he wrote?
Yes. That he was doing very scaled down WODs / CFWU-only during the spring has no real bearing on my reply.

He has been doing CF, by his title, since November of last year. His diet, by his statements, isn't the greatest. For the last two months, by his statements, he has been really focussing on doing the main-page WODs at his local CF box -- but he is too weak / unable to sufficiently recover quickly enough to do multiple days in a row.

Today was the official first day of my 8th week doing CF, and I am older than he is. I don't have the problems he is having because -- in my opinion -- I have addressed some of the issues I (and almost everyone else here) raised: proper nutritional intake, proper strength training.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #24
Jeff Stanek

Profile:

CrossFit will get you stronger. Especially as a novice! No specializing required. Comparing a new CFer to Spealler is ludicrous. Spealler's weakness is absolute strength (due to his size), so he focuses on that to be competitive. Chris got great by being faster and going longer/harder than everyone else.

The OP (just like a client) specifically mentioned wanting to increase his metcon abilities. Rippitoe mentions that doing SS is purely designed for strength, and you should expect to lose metcon while doing it. Doing SS and metcons at the same time is not truly doing SS.

Strength is only one general physical skill...and not the most important.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #25
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Stanek View Post
CrossFit will get you stronger. Especially as a novice! No specializing required. Comparing a new CFer to Spealler is ludicrous. Spealler's weakness is absolute strength (due to his size), so he focuses on that to be competitive. Chris got great by being faster and going longer/harder than everyone else.

The OP (just like a client) specifically mentioned wanting to increase his metcon abilities. Rippitoe mentions that doing SS is purely designed for strength, and you should expect to lose metcon while doing it. Doing SS and metcons at the same time is not truly doing SS.

Strength is only one general physical skill...and not the most important.
What is the most important?
Old 08-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #26
Jeff Stanek

Profile:

None! Our goal is to be fit across the spectrum.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #27
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Patrik,

How does one define strong? The truth is that the VAST majority of CrossFitters could stand to increase their absolute strength. No, they don't all need to become powerlifters, but any male that lifts weights for more than 6 months should be able to demonstrate decent strength and many CrossFitters cannot.

I think the approach of focusing on strength for a period and then getting back to a more met-con approach is not a bad idea at all. Once you have built a certain level of strength it is relatively easy to maintain the majority of it (not talking about elite levels here).

Oh, and no, I don't think SS is the best way to do it. Keep in mind also that I said FOCUS on strength, that doesn't mean you need to drop your CF training entirely.
Oh, I like you.

And, I'm not liking many people today.

And, I'm sure many people are not liking me, haha.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #28
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Bad answer based upon your previous statement.

This was your statement:

"Strength is only one general physical skill...and not the most important."

This statement indicates there is something more important than strength.

Do you rescind this statement, or what do you really think? Forget the CF answer, what is your answer?
Old 08-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #29
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Oh, I like you.

And, I'm not liking many people today.

And, I'm sure many people are not liking me, haha.
And you didn't even curse in saying so . I must be doing well.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #30
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
That means, by your very definition, strength is as important as anything else. You just disagreed with your previous statement.

I disagree with both of your statements. I say that in some circumstances, strength is the most important aspect to focus on -- and in others, the least. It depends on the individual and their circumstances, and anyone arguing a "one size fits all" like you are is not living in reality.

Here is an example:

OP's OH is 125#. Many WODs as RX require multiple reps OH of 108% of OPs 1RM. All the muscular endurance in the world, all the cardio, all the "GPP" will not allow OP to do multiple reps at 108% of his 1RM. Ever.

Sufficient strength training to turn that 108% into something more like 60%, on the other hand, will allow the OP to do the WODs as RX'd.

So in OPs case, strength is something he needs to look at improving.

Now if OP was putting 225 up over his head for multiple reps, strength would not be something I would argue he needed more of (as it pertains to doing WODs as RX).