CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-22-2009, 05:33 AM   #11
Mick Byrne

Profile:
Re: Jones Machine - Front Squat

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
So Mick, the Smith Machine is out for squats, bench, deadlift, etc. So, the question is: What DO you have access to? Lets be constructive and figure out what things you can do for overall lower body strength.

I think back squats are ok and deadlift too. The Jones machine I use I think is a better version of the Smith machine and allows movement in 3 dimensions. The only reason I cant front squat is thats its impossible to get it off the hooks once I am in the rack position.

Cant shoulder press becuase doesnt have the height.

The only weights in the gym (above 50 or 60kg) are ones that fit the machine.

Yes buying my own is the answer, I have a bar but weights are expensive. I will build them up eventually.

WOD is deadlift tonight and dont see how I can really do this.

The one thing the Jones is good as is for use as a pullup bar!

Later,

Mick
Old 09-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #12
Derek Franks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Byrne View Post
I think back squats are ok and deadlift too.
No they're not. You probably aren't going to hurt yourself, but you're also not doing yourself any favors by using a Jones machine for any lifts.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:53 PM   #13
Daniel Higgins

Profile:

If it comes to buying anything, do NOT purchase a Jones/Smith machine. Use that money for a set of bumper plates and decent bar.

Weights/racks aren't cheap so if the gym you frequent doesn't have them, you might be better off saving your membership fees for some simple equipment. Check craiglslist or local classifieds for used free weights; they usually go for pretty cheap.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #14
Paul Siegel

Profile:

Sounds like your in a globo-gym type of set-up. Otherwise you could just sell the smith/jones machine and buy some bumpers.

What about heavy dumbbells or kettlebells? You can do Goblet squats as a sub for front squats with those. And for deadlifts, just pick heavy stuff up. Remember the functional movement part of the perscription? nothing more functional than picking heavy stuff up. Remember that mid-line stabilization and lumbar curve and you'll be alright.

When you can, move to a barbell, but until then be creative. Try as best you can to emulate the intended movement with what you have around and not just in the gym.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:12 AM   #15
Mick Byrne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Siegel View Post
Sounds like your in a globo-gym type of set-up. Otherwise you could just sell the smith/jones machine and buy some bumpers.
Not sure what a Globo is, I guess its an American thing. Its just a leisure centre with lots of machines and a few free weights. Max barbell is 35kg, dumbells 2 x 20kg.

Selling the Jones machine is a good idea, I just need to work out how to sneak it past the receptionist!

I will eventually set up a garage gym when I am happy that crossfit and me is a good combination.

I guess my main problem is when it comes to 1-1-1-1-1-1 due to the lack of heavy weights at the gym. Should I just do more reps now and work on my form and worry about lifting heavier weights when i buy my own?

I do agree that the Jones machine is not the same as using free weights but its my only option at the moment.

Later,

Mick
Old 09-24-2009, 05:51 AM   #16
Luke Hale

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Byrne View Post
Not sure what a Globo is, I guess its an American thing. Its just a leisure centre with lots of machines and a few free weights. Max barbell is 35kg, dumbells 2 x 20kg.

Selling the Jones machine is a good idea, I just need to work out how to sneak it past the receptionist!

I will eventually set up a garage gym when I am happy that crossfit and me is a good combination.

I guess my main problem is when it comes to 1-1-1-1-1-1 due to the lack of heavy weights at the gym. Should I just do more reps now and work on my form and worry about lifting heavier weights when i buy my own?

I do agree that the Jones machine is not the same as using free weights but its my only option at the moment.

Later,

Mick
hi mate, 'Globo' or 'Globogym' is CF's generic term for gyms like yours and all the 'fitness clubs' etc - chain gyms with all the latest 'high tech' equipment and machines and rows of treadmills and steppers and stationery bikes and so on ...the sort of place where no one even works up a sweat in case it spoils their makeup

...the term comes from the film Dodgeball

I used to go to my local leisure centre and it was just like that. They even got rid of the squat rack to put more machines in!!

I worked out at home for a bit with a 50kg weights set from Argos

I then found out that my local college has a gym that is also open to the public! It is only 20 a month and they train the college sports teams there, and also one of the top UK strongmen! so there's weights, kettlebells etc plus tyres and kegs and all that stuff!

...though strangely still no squat rack!! just a smith machine

I therefore only do front squats, which is limited to what I can clean from the floor. I stay well away from the smith machine.

Have a look on ebay for old weight sets that are close enough for you to collect - there's loads on there.

You could get something heavy to lift at home on max effort days, then do the other wods at your globo