CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #71
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: Cheap Paleo Bulking

i think Mr. Dries hit the nail on the head... this topic has gotten off into the land of talking about healthy and such... but look at the title of the thread. the OP ask for "cheap paleo bulking". he stated in his first post that he was already spending more on food than he wanted. i think common sense says that discussing what is optimal for long term health and what is a cheap way to bulk are going to be different. obviously bulking is not a lifelong way of eating. the OP can go back to his current diet when the bulk is accomplished. also eating cheap and eating the way that is best for health are two very different things.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #72
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Well there's your problem. You went from low carb to carb overload - actually, probably food overload if that was a side dish to a meal, of course your body didn't like it. A pound of potatoes at one sitting?
Yea, I only eat twice a day and therefore have monster meals. I once eat almost 2 pounds of "hard" food in one meal (meat+potato+dessert), so dont worry
Old 07-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #73
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Ok, sorry, lets continue this discussion then.

Since I am not an expert on carbs, how much of them do you recommend to OP, before they can affect healt? What is the role of them? Only to provide energy? If thats the case, perhaps UCAN product SuperStarch could be useful or similar?
As a general rule athletes should aim to consume 6-10g of carbohydrate per kilogram of bodyweight per day. As for how much the OP can consume without affecting health, that really depends on how much exercise he plans on doing. In theory though the only limit to the amount of carbohydrate that can be oxidised during exercise is human endurance and the need for sleep.

Report of a Joint FAO/WHO Expert Consultation: Carbohydrates in Human Nutrition - The Role of Carbohydrates in Exercise and Physical Performance.

Position of the American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine: Nutrition and Athletic Performance.

IOC Consensus Statement on Sports Nutrition 2010.

IOC Sportsoracle.com - Nutrition for Athletes.

IAAF - Nutrition for Athletics.

British Dietetic Association Food Fact Sheet: Sport.

Irish Nutrition and Dietetic Institute Factsheet: Food For Sport.

*All links wfs*

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 07-26-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:09 AM   #74
Kevin Jansen

Profile:

Sorry I haven't been on here in a while, been busy. I know I won't be answering all questions with this post, but wanted to give an update on everything.

Currently, I am doing a hybrid of CFSB. I do DL on Monday, Bench Tues, break Wed, FS Thurs, Press Fri, and supplement all those with 3 days on 1 off with some metcons, usually geared more towards lifting weights than gymnastics.

For bulking, I've been experimenting with eggs and some protein powders. I've been eating a lot of fruit, and recently bought a bunch of Larabars, so my carb intake is up, but I think it should be up a little more, so I might start adding rice to my diet. I eat sweet potatoes a lot too, mostly PWO, so I have that.

Everything seems to be working pretty well. I seem to be gaining mass without feeling bloated, sick, or by gaining any fat.

Thanks for all the help, and let's keep this amiable. I'm looking for help, not arguments!
Old 07-31-2013, 06:26 AM   #75
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Jansen View Post
Thanks for all the help, and let's keep this amiable. I'm looking for help, not arguments!
Sorry, that's my bad
Old 08-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #76
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Sometimes chicken breast bone-in is $2/pound on sale.

Frozen fish is a good source of protein and pretty cheap. I get a kilo of fresh frozen sardines for $5. The suckers are big - 10x bigger than canned.

Rice with beans is better than rice - soak beans overnight and cook well. Black beans are less problematic than red for example. Look up "cook-up rice" which also has beans, coconut milk and chicken or beef, and lots of flavour - eg, http://allrecipes.com/recipe/guyanese-cookup-rice/
Old 08-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #77
Enrico Chacon

Profile:

how about canned tuna? Sometimes I throw a whole can on a salad or with brown rice and black beans.

Its cheap too.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #78
Ben Joven

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Jansen View Post
Hello All.

I am currently trying to build some muscle/get bigger. I am eating paleo, and I don't have a lot of money to spend on loads and loads of food to bulk up any way I want.

Is there a cheap solution to gaining muscle mass on paleo? All the things I've read involve just upping portions, but those portions are already costing me more than I should really be paying for food.

Thanks for the help!
Lots of ground beef w/ coconut oil.

And this stuff right here

v

Trader Joe's Canned Alaskan Salmon $2.99 a pop

Last edited by Ben Joven : 08-13-2013 at 10:12 PM.