CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #71
Doug Blankenship

Profile:
Re: sweet potatoes versus fruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Seubert View Post
Um, well.... carrots and onions do have a fair amount of sugar in them, especially if they are thoroughly cooked, a process which breaks down the complex carbs in those foods into simple sugars. So, if thoroughly cooked onions and carrots are eaten in large quantities, yeah, you can get an insulin spike.

I'm not saying people should avoid these foods. I am eating onions and carrots this very day myself, and I am on a very low carb diet right now. But folks should be aware that some veggies carry a considerable carbohydrate load, and that the glycemic index can change substantially with processing and/or cooking.
It's post like these that make new people learning how to eat properly start fearing foods that are good for you. I have never eaten enough veggies in a single day that would actually provide me with enough carbohydrates to fuel what I do. And, I eat a large amount of veggies daily.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #72
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Wow. I started this thread defending fruit, and now I'm having to defend carrots and onions? Has the board completely lost its collective mind?

They are vegetables. They are good for you. Eat them.

Luke, need I remind you that French onion soup is traditionally served with both bread and cheese, either of which would completely overwhelm the caloric load of the onions?

I'm not convinced that it's even physically possible to eat carrots or onions (even caramelized) in diet wrecking quantities. One meal, maybe, but beyond that? It's certainly not something that's going to happen accidentally.

Katherine
Old 06-17-2012, 04:45 AM   #73
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
Actually, guys have started threads about the huge insulin spikes caused by carrots. And onions.
Well apparently you shouldn't eat carrots either.

Soooo, too much protein causes kidney problems, carbs spike insulin and make you fat, and fat straight up causes heart disease.

This bring us to the conclusion that Glassman and Rip probably knew all along: For optimal results, all your daily calories have to come from alcohol!

I propose a new Zone diet, it'll be 20P/20C/20F/40A.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:50 AM   #74
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Like many of the things Robb Wolf says this is bad advice and kinda stupid if you think about it.
LOL hahahah

Fructose is bad man, you anaware?
Old 06-17-2012, 05:20 AM   #75
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post

Wow. I started this thread defending fruit, and now I'm having to defend carrots and onions? Has the board completely lost its collective mind?

They are vegetables. They are good for you. Eat them.

Katherine
I don't quite get it either.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:22 AM   #76
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Would you people please go back and read ALL of what I wrote, and not just selectively read what you think I wrote and then complain about that. Stop taking me out of context!

At no time did I say carrots and onions are bad for you. At no time did I say that people on low-carb diets should avoid them. In fact, I am on a very low carb diet right now and I eat them myself, along with tomatoes. Here's is a recent post to my Workout Log showing me eating these foods:What I did say is that these vegetables, along with others, do contain higher quantities of sugars and starches than most vegetables, which tend to be very low in both glycemic index and glycemic load. This is just a simple, straightforward, scientific fact. People who are on a low-carb diet should be aware of these veggies, and consume them in moderation.

Here are some of my quotes from this thread to support what I just stated in the paragraphs above:
Quote:
I'm not saying people should avoid these foods. I am eating onions and carrots this very day myself, and I am on a very low carb diet right now. But folks should be aware that some veggies carry a considerable carbohydrate load, and that the glycemic index can change substantially with processing and/or cooking.
Quote:
In the end, starchy and sugary vegetables simply contain more carbs per 100 g serving than low glycemic index, low glycemic load veggies. Compare the carb profile of onions or carrots with, say, asparagus or broccoli or collards. There is a big difference. Those few people who are on a very carb-restricted diet should be careful with their portion sizes when eating the higher carb veggies.
Again, read what I actually wrote. People on a low-carb diet need to be aware of the high-carb veggies and eat them in moderation, not avoid them. People who are not on a low-carb diet need not worry about this issue at all.

Ahh, but somehow, everybody seems to think that I wrote, "Starchy, sugary veggies are bad for you! Avoid them at all costs whatever diet you are on!"

Yeah, ooookay. Whatever.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #77
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Would you people please go back and read ALL of what I wrote, and not just selectively read what you think I wrote and then complain about that. Stop taking me out of context!

At no time did I say carrots and onions are bad for you. At no time did I say that people on low-carb diets should avoid them. In fact, I am on a very low carb diet right now and I eat them myself, along with tomatoes. Here's is a recent post to my Workout Log showing me eating these foods:What I did say is that these vegetables, along with others, do contain higher quantities of sugars and starches than most vegetables, which tend to be very low in both glycemic index and glycemic load. This is just a simple, straightforward, scientific fact. People who are on a low-carb diet should be aware of these veggies, and consume them in moderation.

Here are some of my quotes from this thread to support what I just stated in the paragraphs above:

Again, read what I actually wrote. People on a low-carb diet need to be aware of the high-carb veggies and eat them in moderation, not avoid them. People who are not on a low-carb diet need not worry about this issue at all.

Ahh, but somehow, everybody seems to think that I wrote, "Starchy, sugary veggies are bad for you! Avoid them at all costs whatever diet you are on!"

Yeah, ooookay. Whatever.
Just to get some perspective, 20-30% Carbs is considered a low-carb diet. So for 2500 calories a day, 175g of carbs is actually still considered low-carb. Any veggies should be fine here.

Now, if we talk about CKDs and PSMFs, then ya, tough luck.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #78
Jo Hsu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
Well apparently you shouldn't eat carrots either.

Soooo, too much protein causes kidney problems, carbs spike insulin and make you fat, and fat straight up causes heart disease.

This bring us to the conclusion that Glassman and Rip probably knew all along: For optimal results, all your daily calories have to come from alcohol!

I propose a new Zone diet, it'll be 20P/20C/20F/40A.
Except we can't have beer, which is wheat based, and wine and cider , which are fruit-based. Fermented grass-fed beef cocktails, anyone?
Old 06-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #79
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
What I did say is that these vegetables, along with others, do contain higher quantities of sugars and starches than most vegetables, which tend to be very low in both glycemic index and glycemic load. This is just a simple, straightforward, scientific fact. People who are on a low-carb diet should be aware of these veggies, and consume them in moderation.
The problem is that "moderation" is such a difficult word for people. The minute you say that *any* food contains sugar, the carbophobes go nuts.

My own view is that pretty much any natural food is fine in moderation. But the consensus around here seems to tend toward extremes.

Katherine