CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #1
Robert Hann

Profile:
Programming Advice

Iím 18 years old, 5í10Ē and weigh about 155#ís. Iíve been doing crossfit type workouts for about 2 months now, and I love it. Last April, I bought SS and began a SS program when I weighed about 140, and I gained some strength and put some weight on. Unfortunately, I had a bad ankle sprain from playing soccer and got sick about 3 weeks into the program. I couldnít bear any weight on my ankle for about 10 days, and was sick for another week. I lost almost all the strength I had gained and the weight I had put on. Long story short, after some research and reading on this forum and other places, I set up a new program that I started about a week ago. It would appreciate it if yíall would take a look and let me know what you think.

FYI: My olympic lifts form is pretty good. Iíve done a lot of practice over the last two months based off the reading and exercise demos on the main website and from SS. Also the Metcons are done at a crossfit class at my local Y. The instructor is great and has also helped with my oly lift form.

Goals (in order of importance to me)
1. Increase overall fitness
2. Gain Strength
3. Put on weight

Sunday and Thursday: GSLP and Mobility/ Skill Work
Back Squat: 2x5; 1x5+
Press: 2x5; 1x5+ / Bench Press 2x5; 1x5+ (Alternating)
Deadlift/ Snatch / Power Clean (Chosen on the day based on if lifts were used recently in a metcon)
Mobility/ Skill Work

Monday, Wednesday, Friday: Metcons

Tuesday, Saturday: Rest Days

Nutrition: Iíve realized I need to increase my caloric intake. I am up to about 4000-4500 calories per day. Iím also drinking about ĺ a gallon of 2% milk a day. I havenít gone completely paleo, but I am definitely conscience of it. I have cut down on grains in my diet except for mainly oatmeal that I put in shakes with milk, bread on meat sandwiches, and peanut butter (to help with the weight).

Thanks in advance for the help. Please just let me know if this is a good program based on my goals and if there are any ways to tweak it or change it, especially if you see any red flags. Any help on nutrition would be great too.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Programming Advice

This looks like a reasonable program but based on your goals and your current weight/height I wonder if you would be better off focusing more on strength and limiting the metcon to 1-2 a week. You could either add another strength day, OR do two strength days, 1-2 metcons and then some type of light GPP work--walking, light sled work.

I like your program for someone who has exhausted a basic Linear Progression programs, is happy with/or close to their desired bodyweight and doesn't mind if the strength gains slow as long as they keep coming and wants to start upping their conditioning.

Strength can take a long time to build, conditioning can come a little quicker. For metcons if you have a higher strength base the metcon weights won't be the challening part, the pace you choose to do the metcon will be the challenge.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
Craig Horstman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
This looks like a reasonable program but based on your goals and your current weight/height I wonder if you would be better off focusing more on strength and limiting the metcon to 1-2 a week. You could either add another strength day, OR do two strength days, 1-2 metcons and then some type of light GPP work--walking, light sled work.

I like your program for someone who has exhausted a basic Linear Progression programs, is happy with/or close to their desired bodyweight and doesn't mind if the strength gains slow as long as they keep coming and wants to start upping their conditioning.

Strength can take a long time to build, conditioning can come a little quicker. For metcons if you have a higher strength base the metcon weights won't be the challening part, the pace you choose to do the metcon will be the challenge.
what he said. go to the 3 day gslp with 2 metcons a week and once you hit your end with linear, then switch it up
Old 06-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

looks like you have a good start. diet is good, monitor and adjust as necessary. as other suggested, it might be a good idea to go with the three day a week GSLP and only two or three metcons a week, with at least 2 on the same days as the lifting, giving you more rest days. or, you might also consider following CFFB. either way, i think the interesting thing about your goals is that in order to accomplish them, you might have to do them in reverse order. i bet that if you gain weight you will get stronger and then will notice a substantial increase in your fitness. not that you need to get fat or stop conditioning. but for now you would be best to focus on getting strong while adding quality weight.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
Robert Hann

Profile:

Thanks for all the great feedback.

I think I'll take y'all's advice and switch to a 3 day GSLP. And once the linear progression slows, I'll dial it down to the 2 day GSLP to focus more on conditioning (but hopefully that'll be a few months down the line if everything goes as planned).

With the metcons, Andrew I'm curious about your comment of having doing the metcons on the same day as the strength training. I was hoping you could embellish a little more on them. What type of metcons (strength heavy? body weight exercises?)? How long? (<10 or 20 to 30 min range) What time of day works best? (metcon in morning/ strength in afternoon or vice versa?)

Once again, thanks for the advice!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

When I was doing 3x per week GSLP lifting I'd typically lift M/W/F and do a metcon after the W and F lifting, and sometimes on Saturday. You'll want to keep them in the 6-12 minute range, short and intense, and do them after your lifting so they don't affect your ability to lift heavy.

I'm a big fan of keeping them simple....KB swings, burpees, hill sprints, sled pushes, sandbag work, rowing repeats, etc. Basically movements that aren't skill dependent (i.e. high-rep Oly lifting would be a bad idea) and that won't mess up your recovery or leave you too sore for your next lifting day. So doing 100+ pullups and ripping your hands or doing 100+ wallballs and smoking your quads would not be the best way to go.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:45 AM   #7
Craig Horstman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Hann View Post
Thanks for all the great feedback.

I think I'll take y'all's advice and switch to a 3 day GSLP. And once the linear progression slows, I'll dial it down to the 2 day GSLP to focus more on conditioning (but hopefully that'll be a few months down the line if everything goes as planned).

With the metcons, Andrew I'm curious about your comment of having doing the metcons on the same day as the strength training. I was hoping you could embellish a little more on them. What type of metcons (strength heavy? body weight exercises?)? How long? (<10 or 20 to 30 min range) What time of day works best? (metcon in morning/ strength in afternoon or vice versa?)

Once again, thanks for the advice!
i've been lifting mon, wed, fri and doing metcons tues, thurs with no issues. but thats just me. ive also been in the army for 13 1/2 years and my body is used to a lot of physical work. as for the workouts, i got the gslp 50 conditioning workouts to work out of, as well as a buddy of mine gave me a bunch of short, heavy metcons.