CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 03:49 AM   #41
Jason Scheffler

Profile:
Re: T-Nation, Shugart and the Truth About CrossFit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq View Post
CF keeps getting associated with rahbdo of it's own doing, if they don't want to be linked with it, get rid of Uncle Rahbdo
Then I bet we'll hear: "Why are they hiding that it's possible to get rhabdo?"

Old 11-06-2008, 06:36 AM   #42
Allison Bishop

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Waterbury View Post
I just want to take a second to jump on this thread and say that I'm impressed by the discussions that occur on the CF boards. Even when you don't agree with what a person or article states, you still manage to respect the opinions of others without resorting to personal attacks.

That's a great example to set. I wish other fitness forums would take note.
I never thought I'd see the day Chad Waterbury posted on CrossFit.com.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:59 AM   #43
Jimmy Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Waterbury View Post
I just want to take a second to jump on this thread and say that I'm impressed by the discussions that occur on the CF boards. Even when you don't agree with what a person or article states, you still manage to respect the opinions of others without resorting to personal attacks.

That's a great example to set. I wish other fitness forums would take note.

Chad--
Thanks for posting...I've read these boards for a long time and never actually posted...That is the one thing that seperates this community from others..there is a lot of respect.

On a more personal note: Muscle Revolution changed the way I train---good stuff...thanks for writing that. This will probably open up a can of worms---but how could one incorporate the "Waterbury Method" with Crossfit??? I am one of those who loves crossfit and the feeling of euphoria and accomplishment after I finish a WOD---but I also love to lift and follow your method. I understand this may be awkward for you, but I would love to hear what you have to say.

Last edited by Jimmy Smith : 11-06-2008 at 07:21 AM.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:30 AM   #44
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Scheffler View Post
Then I bet we'll hear: "Why are they hiding that it's possible to get rhabdo?"
I don't think that at all. It's entirely possible for CF to promote rhabdo awareness while treating it in a serious manner.

I imagine people would have a similar reaction to a video-game company whose mascot was a kid going into epileptic seizures.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:45 AM   #45
Casey Raiford

Profile:

I can honestly say that in over 20 years over working out, lifting, endurance running, swimming, martial arts and so on...I had never even heard of rhabdo until Crossfit. The affiliate I go to treats the matter very seriously, and in my opinion quite responsibly. It's a safety issue that every newcomer gets briefed on, and there's an info link on the website. It's not glamorized by any stretch. That's possibly because it's a military affiliate and one thing we do well is safety, but I suspect the same is true at most if not all affiliates.

I think Pukey is a decent enough way to have a constant reminder to train responsibly. CF seems to get spotlighted for rhabdo because as far as I can tell, CF is the only organization the promotes any awareness of it at all. There are passing references in some of the LSD running mags I used to get (e.g. Trailrunner, Ultrarunner, etc) but it was always lumped into a list of other possible maladies with a box chart listing symptoms and remides. After that it was never mentioned again until a slow month rolled around.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:25 AM   #46
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison Bishop View Post
I never thought I'd see the day Chad Waterbury posted on CrossFit.com.
Ditto!

Old 11-06-2008, 09:30 AM   #47
Bart Hodlik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Jones View Post
I love those pictures
Didn't say they were bad. Just an example of how the sites and fitness goals are expressed differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
Okay. Let's not use it to make a point then.
Don't agree with this statement. Just because someone can't immediately recall the exact articles where they got their information, doesn't mean the statement is invalid. I'm sure that with the assistance of the power of google, the information could be quickly retrieved.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #48
Robert Wolf

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
Okay. Let's not use it to make a point then.
Brandon-
This has been 3rd party validated in several different communities. The rate is also lower than that of the commonly run marathons. Is there a formalized research paper on the topic? Not yet...but this provides you an opportunity to provide something of VALUE. Start crunching the numbers big-man.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:52 AM   #49
Christian Gotcher

Profile:

Actually, I'd say we have the right to use that to make a point. Let's source it. In Crossfit Radio 3.5. Robb Wolf quotes statistics on the occurence of rhabdo in this country pointing to exercise as being a lesser factor and marathon running contributing to a ridiculous portion of these cases.

Most cases of rhabdo (the ones presented by Mike Boyle), are induced by Boot Camp training according to Glassman and Wolff. Although I haven't read the sourcework on this, a corpsman I spoke to said he had never seen rhabdo before assisting, where it happens on a surprisingly regular basis, and there are 'potty posters' in many training commands with color-correlation charts comparing urine and hydration needs. The brown square signifies "get to the hospital," indicating there's an understanding of the prevalence of rhabdo in those conditions.

Also, Andy indicated in CFR 3.5 that, going over years of statistics from the inclusion of CF in the BUD/S program, there were no instances of rhabdomyolosis connected with CF.

The information may be skewed, obviously- there are many more marathoners and boot-camp privates/SR's than there are CF'ers. Still, the claim that CF is more likely than other forms of training to cause exertional rhabdomyolysis seems based more on the emphasis the community puts on safety than actual fact.

(Robb posted while I was in the middle of writing, so this will sound kind of redundant. Apologies. Small world)
M/22/155|Murph-28:19|Helen-9:39|Annie- 5:12|CFT-700|1.5 Mile-8:35|Strict PU-24|Fran-5:24 log

Old 11-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #50
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
CF seems to get spotlighted for rhabdo because as far as I can tell, CF is the only organization the promotes any awareness of it at all.
This is true. But it's also entirely irrelevant. It is undeniably poor form to have a mascot that makes light of something like rhabdo. And yes, the mascot is making light of it. The rest of the CrossFit publications/media/whatever don't make light of it and take it very seriously, and for good reason. But this mascot only gives ammo to the people who complain about the intensity of our workouts.

This is not a problem with CrossFit's mission. Every CrossFitter who knows about rhabdo also knows that it is a very serious problem. This is a problem with CrossFit's PR. The harm done by the continued use of this mascot far outweighs the good, and at this point I think the only thing keeping it around is stubbornness.

Closed Thread