CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-16-2004, 07:46 AM   #1
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
I teach Defensive Tactics for the Pierce County Sheriff's Department. We do a 3 minute fight for life drill at the end of the DT recertification day with instructors in FIST Gear suits and students in lighter gear where they fight us empty handed for a minute, with a soft baton for a minute and then on the ground for a minute. We usually have enough instructors to switch off now and then but there were only 2 instructors for 11 students during yesterday's training. I did all the stand up fights and another instructor did all the ground fights. That was 22 minutes of sparring with just a few moments of rest between rounds to set up the next fight.

I have not been doing any bag work to speak of and have not sparred since the last time I taught in September. Any of you out there who fight know how taxing sparring can be and that fighting requires a very specific kind of endurance. Still, Crossfit saved the day. My training lately has been rowing, riding, swimming and CF workouts with a lot of KB work. I breezed through the fights even though the mostly younger...much younger, students were sucking wind after the first round.

So, my triathlon racing season was the best ever this year as a result of Cross Fit workouts and my endurance for fighting has improved as well. The girls that come to my gym to train reported improvements in the way they look and feel and all said they are much, much stronger since they started training the Cross Fit way.

This Cross Fit thing gets better and better the more I do it.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:08 AM   #2
Brian Gibson

Profile:
This Cross Fit thing gets better and better the more I do it.

My sentiments exactly.