CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-20-2003, 06:04 PM   #1
David Heyer

Profile:
I am a physical education teacher, a martial arts instructor and a newly converted crossfit follower.

I have been teaching for many years and I have observed a few things about MOST people that I would like to share.

1. PEOPLE ARE LAZY! Given the choice between working out hard or taking the easy way out, 90% will go with the easy way.

2. PEOPLE ARE SUCKERS! They will believe in and purchase any exercise equipment/supplement/etc. if some buffed guy is pictured using it.

3. PEOPLE CARE MORE ABOUT THEIR LOOKS THAN THEY CARE ABOUT ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE/HEALTH & FITNESS.
The kids in my class ONLY want to know how to get ripped and couldn't care less that they could hurt themselves in the process. Many even resort to using steroids. Knowing full well that they are illegal and dangerous.

4. PEOPLE ARE PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY WEAK! They quit when it starts to hurt/discomfort sets in. My P.E. students talk tough, but are a bunch of slackjaws when they try and keep up with the old man.

5. PEOPLE THAT FOLLOW CROSSFIT ARE PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY SUPERIOR TO 90% OF THE POPULATION.
The 10% would be for the athletic freaks of nature.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-21-2003, 07:44 AM   #2
SHANE WERNER

Profile:

David,

i agree with you on all points, however

1.PEOPLE ARE LAZY. i think genetically humans like most animals were ment to use their energy spurtingly, look at wild cats, they sleep around 17 hours a day. however humans have reached a point in habitat domination were the only spurting is done when we drink our cola to fast
2.PEOPLE ARE SUCKERS. again i think people are just lazy, if a guy looks big and strong, then he must be right? of cource not but many people dont care enough to go do the research to know that.
3. PEOPLE CARE MORE ABOUT THEIR LOOKS THEN THEY CARE ABOUT ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE. i can talk for probably every guy in my age group (11-89) when i say that, for the most part what i do is based around girls. its true that some members of the male gender, mostly in cross fit learned if we can throw those big steroid using monkeys over our shoulders and not look like Arnold that it will impress girls more.
4. PEOPLE ARE PHYSICALLY AND MENTALY WEAK. again, pain is our bodies way of saying something is to hard. a certine amount is good and you have to learn to live with but i bet if you let those "big talkers" be chased around for a while be some wild boars, they would show you sprints worthy of any spartan.
5. PEOPLE THAT FOLLOW CROSSFIT ARE PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY SUPERIOR TO 90% OF THE POPULATION. well ill give you the mentally part right of the bat. the people you purpasly do cross fit are the true hybred humans. in a world were humans have completly tamed everything that was supposed to test their ability, the only way to do so is self inflected. on the strength issue, it will come eventually, but i have many friends that lift wrong and are stronger. however sticking with crossfit for a prolonged peiriod of time will change that.

as you can see, i agree with you on all points, i just thought i should try to salvage some of our reputation.

shane
Old 05-21-2003, 09:14 AM   #3
David Heyer

Profile:
Shane,
Great points! It just irritates me to see lazy people. Maybe I'm just being too hard on them.

Thanks for the reply.
Dave
Old 05-21-2003, 11:14 AM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Great catch Shane...very paleo!
Robb
Old 06-27-2003, 06:35 PM   #5
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
our culture is lazy. americans want it all without having to work. fat is in(disgusting)and people totally disregard the adverse health effects of both obesity, their crappy diets and their couch potatoe existence because, well, gee, can't i just have a pill, please doc?
Old 08-04-2003, 08:27 AM   #6
Clay Jones

Profile:

David, I agree with many of your points. I am a teacher (4th grade) and martial arts practitioner. Even though I have been lifting for over 20 years, and certainly know better, I often find myself slipping into laziness when I approach my workouts, and find myself wanting to quit or tune out when things get difficult. I also see the same behavior in my students as well. I might give an assignment, and while most kids will get to work right away, some will drag their feet or do the least amount of work possible.

One thing I have found that helps "lazy" kids (and myself) is to pair them with someoene who is not lazy. Unfortuantley, I can't really do this with my own workouts, since I lift at home, but that's why I like crossfit--I know that a lot of oter people are doing each WOD, which gives me the motivation to try and work through it (I'm stil modifying the workout heavily). Funny, when I go to the gym, I'm NOT motivated to lift, because most of the people I see working out are doing it all wrong.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:49 AM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Clay-

This forum has been an incredible motivator and support network. It is great to see someone here who can start weaving some Crossfit philosophy into a PE program for youths. Welcome and let us know how things progress.
Robb
Old 08-07-2003, 04:18 PM   #8
Mike Rounsville

Profile:  
I agree with Clay. I know alot of other people are suffering thru the same WOD that I am and that motivates me. I keep records of my WOD's so when I look back I can see the improvement...I am torn however between agreeing with David AND Shane...people are lazy, weak suckers...that will take the easy way if possible. the exception seems to be those that subscribe to crossfit or other similar training programs
Old 08-07-2003, 05:00 PM   #9
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I can only speak for myself, but almost every workout there is a point where I wonder what the hell I'm doing. Case in point: the 5K I did two days ago. I'm 232, and my legs were killing me from the lunge workout a couple days before. I wanted to quit a quarter mile into it, but I just said: "Ok get to those trees (ignore the 13 year old girl that just blew by you), now get to the lightpole, etc." I can't be the only with thoughts like that.

I think the difference between Crossfit types and the "rest of the world" is that the pain of quitting is greater than the pain of continuing. Over and above that, we've learned that the feeling of completing a difficult challenge is a reward in and of itself that you can't get any other way.

No matter how crappy my performance--and believe me, I'm not confusing myself with a good athlete--I look forward to posting my score, for the simple reason that it's like planting my flag and saying: "There, I did it." It may not have been pretty, but no one can take it away.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:05 PM   #10
David Heyer

Profile:
Joe Paterno (Penn State's Football Coach) just said that kids now work harder than ever!
My P.E. students are Adjudicated Juveniles, a big difference from a D1 Football players.
I have used Crossfit style workouts during class, only to find that most (90%) students won't put forth effort because it's too hard for their ego and they don't believe it will pay off in the end.
The kids that work at it are performing better athletically regardless of the sport we play, have far less injuries, have less bodyfat/more muscle mass, and are on fewer psychotropic medications.
I think back to when I was a kid in H.S.. I can recall very few obese, some overweight and many athletic kids. Now, I see the reverse, some obese, many overweight and few athletic. It is sad.
Three weeks ago, I went to the beach. It was really depressing to see so many people who care so little about their health/fitness.
Television, video games, cars, sugar-loaded foods, computers, drugs, easy-way-out supplements, fashion/bodybuilding magazines, bowflex and other crap have lead our country into a lazy bunch of slackjaws.
It may be in human nature to be hedonistic, but in nature it is the survival of the fittest.

If it came down to survival, I'd eat the hedonist! :angry:
Dave