CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 05-20-2006, 07:55 AM   #1
Garrett Smith

Profile:
So I decided to tackle the second hill (second "step") on my way to conquering the monstrous third hill near my house.

I believe it's 1/3 of a mile from the base to the top, with signs saying it's an 18% grade (the third hill is well over 18%, it's also shorter d/t being straight up a hillside). Note that I ride a fixie with a shorter-than-standard crankset. Maybe someday I'll count my gearing again and check on the crank length, maybe not (it won't change anything I do, so why bother?).

So I ride about 2.7 miles to warm up. Didn't feel great in the legs, considering the last two days of working out (30 rep snatch WOD on Thursday, 5k NordicTrack x-country ski and 5 x 5 OHS workouts yesterday, PRs on all workouts, yesssssss).

Got up the hill without any switchbacking. Very happy day. Max HR I saw was 179 (I just like looking at it, HR training doesn't hold much for me anymore). Came back down the first 2/3 of the hill using only eccentric/negative pedaling as a brake, trying to go slow--I like to make the most of the earned kinetic energy, besides, going fast down this hill is really dangerous and stupid. The last 1/3 was steep/slick enough that I was actually skidding every time the pedals passed the 3 & 9 o'clock positions. That's when I started using my front brake.

Anyway, a quick 3.7 mile bike ride on a great Saturday morning. My fixed-gear, relatively short (~1 hour or less) bike rides keep getting stronger--that's with once a week rides (at the most!).

I'm looking forward to adding the mile run after the bike rides (per Eugene) to complete the brick workout, I decided to skip it today as I PR'd on the MC workout I did yesterday and I figure I'll start next time.

Living in Tucson, seeing two deer cross the road in front of me on my warmup also made my day--that's not a common sight.