CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-19-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
Joe Gasparre

Profile:
Box Jumps

A soon to be trainer and I had a little disagreement during a Fight Gone bad today. When I do my box jumps I come to full extension before hitting the box. I jump high enough to be at full extension in the air land on the box and jump off. My friend (the other trainer) says that he thinks a box jump is to be preformed by hitting the box then coming to full extension. The discussion wasn't over who did them right or wrong. It was over how to correctly execute them. I believe if your on top of that box at full extension: Mission Accomplished. He thinks it's cheating.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:27 PM   #2
Brett Valego

Profile:
Re: Box Jumps

i've always done them by jumping up on the box and before i jump off make sure i'm at full extension. that's how i was taught. you don't have to be full extension when your feet hit the box. that might be difficult to accomplish if the box is high or fatigue from reps has set in. hope that helps
Old 06-19-2008, 08:59 PM   #3
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Re: Box Jumps

Same amount of work, bet technically two different things - one involving more power at the beginning (with faster cycle time) and the other being slower with more of a squat. Both are legit and you will likely see the first form when fatigue is low and more of the second in the later reps.

It should be noted, however, that the quick movement of the feet involved with your friend's idea is limited in how high the box jumps can become. You would have to start jumping higher at the start regardless.