CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-19-2013, 02:41 AM   #1
Chris Jones

Profile:
shameless

ok so its a totally vain goal, but id really like to be able to see at least the outline of my abs. Im 6' 192 right now, relatively lean but i have no clue on BF percentage. My diet is primal with 3 carb backload days a week and heavy lifting 3x a week doing GSLP. I drink coffee, water and unsweetened tea so no soft drinks or easy things to cut out really. I eat usually only 1 piece of fruit a day, sometimes two. I drink my PWO shakes with 2% milk so only about 12oz of milk each day. Im pretty lean in lower body and upper body, but im soft around the middle. I honestly think its mostly loose skin, after college and i quit drinking i lost about 40lbs quickly, but i wasnt overweight for very long. So all that longwinded backstory just to set up the question, are there specific ab exercises that i could on T/TR in between GSLP days to get a little mass in my abs and tighten up, maybe heavy weighted exercises? Should i just cut out the backload days maybe? I dont know, im just not great at the nutrition part. And most likely i will never see big nasty blocky abs, when i first started Crossfit i got down to 176 and still didnt see a ton of definition. Anybody have any advice/suggestions?
Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
John Holcombe

Profile:
Re: shameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
ok so its a totally vain goal, but id really like to be able to see at least the outline of my abs. Im 6' 192 right now, relatively lean but i have no clue on BF percentage. My diet is primal with 3 carb backload days a week and heavy lifting 3x a week doing GSLP. I drink coffee, water and unsweetened tea so no soft drinks or easy things to cut out really. I eat usually only 1 piece of fruit a day, sometimes two. I drink my PWO shakes with 2% milk so only about 12oz of milk each day. Im pretty lean in lower body and upper body, but im soft around the middle. I honestly think its mostly loose skin, after college and i quit drinking i lost about 40lbs quickly, but i wasnt overweight for very long. So all that longwinded backstory just to set up the question, are there specific ab exercises that i could on T/TR in between GSLP days to get a little mass in my abs and tighten up, maybe heavy weighted exercises? Should i just cut out the backload days maybe? I dont know, im just not great at the nutrition part. And most likely i will never see big nasty blocky abs, when i first started Crossfit i got down to 176 and still didnt see a ton of definition. Anybody have any advice/suggestions?
How long have you been doing crossfit? You might see results if you give it some more time or add some cardio on non lifting days. I don't think having ab definition is a vain goal btw.

Some exercises that work well - GHD situps, weighted decline situps, weighted knee raises, toes to bar
Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
Jeff Enge

Profile:

I can't speak to the nutrition part too much (I've been constantly gaining weight all my life and still slender, never had to or wanted to lose so haven't learned much about it), so - and this is totally serious - I could always see my abs... until I started growing chest/stomach hair. That really covers up a lot of definition somehow. Just a little insight depending on how much hair you have.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
Chris Jones

Profile:

John i was crossfitting 4-5x a week for about 5 months, but as of almost 2 months ago i started GSLP 3x a week with 2 short metcons because i was losing weight fast doing all that cardio. Even at 176# i still never really saw sweet abs lol. Ill try the weighted leg raises to mix it up, i dont usually do those.

Jeff-im not a gorilla, but im not a calvin klein model either I usually keep my body hair buzzed pretty short but not straight shaved. But hell if it would give me abs id be slicker than owl sh*t!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Shave and a tan will do wonders

Hard to say but changing up diet a little, adding some extra easy body conditioning (walking 30 mins) can all help

In the end it's diet and work. Some people really struggle to get that definition
Old 02-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Mark Pieciak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
Shave and a tan will do wonders

Hard to say but changing up diet a little, adding some extra easy body conditioning (walking 30 mins) can all help

In the end it's diet and work. Some people really struggle to get that definition
Shawn Wilson got it right. Walking is the key here. You're doing Crossfit and your diet is in check, and that's the bulk of it. The finishing touch would be walking, simply because low-intensity exercise, such as walking, uses triglycerides for fuel.

In a blog I write in, I made this a topic of my last post (shameless plug, I know)(WFS).

High-intensity work gets all the glamour, but walking never gets the credit it deserves.

Last edited by Mark Pieciak; 02-19-2013 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: had to clarify if link was WFS
Old 02-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
Sara Mathews

Profile:

I'll toss in my two cents: I had rocking abs in my teens from swimming, went a little soft in my early twenties, still fairly thin but lost definition and bloated.

Since starting CF they have come and gone and returned and I'll tell you one thing that determines whether they are defined for me: If I'm eating grains or not. When I started CF I got strong, and they were under there, but didn't pop out till switching to paleo and then primal. when I slacked off on diet but kept CF going, belly bloat crept back and definition waned. I'm currently back to no grains and what do you know? Abs are back! Within a week or two.

I am a complete belly bloater when it comes to grains. Not saying it will be the same for you or if you would be willing to try, but it can't hurt. Especially if you are lean and strong everywhere else, they don't call it a wheat belly for nothing!

Oops, and I just re-read your post and saw that you already are doing primal, shoot, I got nothing for ya! I'll second the walking though, I lost a good bit of body fat when training for Grand Canyon hike by just walking to break in my boots and ruck.

Last edited by Sara Mathews; 02-19-2013 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: re-read initial post- correction
Old 02-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #8
Chris Jones

Profile:

sounds like walking may help, but good lord its boring! On my 2 off days ive been going to our gym at work after i get off and doing slow elliptical and slow stationary bike for an hour. Will that work too, or does it need to be walking specifically? If i have to walk, ill have to do it outdoors so i dont lose my mind
Old 02-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Should do the same thing as long as you keep it in the aerobic range. I'd definitely just walk around outside if I were you. I don't know from experience, but they say talking a little walk fasted in the morning is most effective.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:17 AM   #10
Chris Jones

Profile:

Jeff i wish i could do the fasted walks in the morning, they do claim to work wonders. But i work night shift so i dont usually wake up until about 9PM, not really anywhere around me that i could go walk when its dark and our neighborhood isnt that big lol