CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-18-2004, 09:28 AM   #1
Thomas Whitehead

Profile:
Hi, I'm still relatively new here. Today will be my third day doing the WOD. I'm actually in fairly good shape. I've been able to complete the last 2 WOD's in their entirety. What I'm looking for is a good warm-up routine that I can use on a daily basis. I'd also like maybe some additional exercises to work-in before or after my lift. I already do PushUps throughout the day, with a few sets included in my workout routine. I do additional ab work, mostly situps, if the ab work doesn't smoke me during the WOD. And, I add additional running into the mix. I have heard some people talk about handstands and gymnastics. I'm just looking to maybe get some input as to what everyone else does. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:59 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Thomas-

Handstand walking, handstand PU's, pullups, aspects of the O-lifts. These are the main things I have been focusing on. I have been using a progression of cartwheels, to round-offs for warm up. There is a whole Crossfit Journal devoted to the warm up.

It is really up to you! Look at the WOD as your core strength and conditioning program. From there find sports and skills you would like to work on.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Robb
Old 03-18-2004, 06:31 PM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
This is a warmup sequence Mike Burgener teaches to all of his Olympic lifters. (e.g. Stephane Rochet and me.) It reinforces good O-lifting technique, gets the blood flowing and the joints loosened up. It also serves as an effective and safe drill to help learn the snatch; it can be done several times per day if needed.

Use a 5' PVC pipe ($1.37 at the local hardware store). Use a snatch grip (i.e. wide with a hook grip). All steps are done for three reps.

1. Shrug.
Straight arms, hook grip, wrists cocked in, elbows rotated out, squat stance. Try to hit your ears with your shoulders.

2. Shrug + pull.
Like step 1, then pull to chest height. Don't bend arms until shoulders are fully shrugged. Keep the bar in very close to the body. This is a fast move, with no pause between the shrug and the pull.

3. Muscle snatch.
Like step 2, then finish pulling the bar to the overhead position. The bar should end up in line with the back of the ears, with the wrists cocked back.

4. Behind the neck press.
Still using a snatch grip, press from the shoulders where the bar normally sits in a back squat. This is not going to wreck your shoulders; it's only a 4-ounce PVC pipe.

5. Behind the neck push press.
Like step 4, but with a little knee kick. Do NOT go up on toes, kick through the heels.

6. Pressing snatch balance.
Squat stance. Press the bar up as you simultaneously go down into a bottom position overhead squat. With practice, the bar doesn't really move. This is not a quick move.

7. Heaving snatch balance.
Squat stance. Like step 6, but with a little knee kick. This is a quicker move than step 6.

8. Drop snatch.
Move the feet a little closer, into the pulling stance. Use little knee kick like step 7 but drop down into the bottom of the overhead squat position as fast as humanly possible while popping the feet into the squat stance. Minimize air time. Faster. Faster still.

You can also add a step 9 if you wish, snatches from the hang position. The whole sequence flow from one step to the next and should take no more than a minute or two. I do this drill before every single stinking workout, even when I'm not going to do any O-lifts that day, one time through the sequence with a PVC pipe and then again with an empty barbell.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:45 PM   #4
J. D. Hernandez

Profile:

I've always liked the warmup that John Davies uses in his "renegade" training books. Each of the following exercises are performed for 30 seconds each for a total of 8 mintues:

Jumping Jacks
Shuffle Splits
Mountain Climbers
Burpees with a jump

It's a real killer if you give it full intensity. I tend to just do it 2-3 times before my couplet days, and all 4 rounds on my focus days.

J.D.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:40 PM   #5
Tom Frankl

Profile:  
JD--

I am familiar with jumping jacks...
What are the other three exercises?
Where can I learn abouth them?

Thanks, Tom
Old 03-20-2004, 08:15 AM   #6
J. D. Hernandez

Profile:

Tom,

The shuffle splits are like a boxer shuffle. One leg comes forward bent the other goes back. Alternate legs in a shuffling type manner. I like to increase my distance between my legs, but the regular distance in approximately two feet.
The mountain climbers are simple. It's a basic military exercise. Get in a pushup position, bring one foot up to meet your hand, bring that foot back, then repeat with the other leg.
Burpees are as follows, jump up and as you hit the ground thrust your leg back into a pushup position. Bring your legs back to your core (like your crouching with your hands still on the ground), jump and repeat. Burpees are really simple, but I think they are extremely demanding. I tend to use burpees in my workouts, as there are many ways to vary the exercise itself. Steve Maxwell wrote a really good article on it which I'll post. Hope this helps. If I wasn't clear and anyone has a better way to explain the movements, feel free to post. Hope you enjoy the warmup, trust me it'll feel more like a workout the first couple of times you try it :-)

http://www.circularstrengthmag.com/17/maxwell2.html
J.D.