CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-04-2004, 02:19 PM   #1
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Alrighty.

For a few weeks now, I've been overlooking my current fitness levels, and my goals.

I think that, when I started the crossfit WOD, while it did put me into the crossfit "Mode", I sort of forgot what my original purpose was. That purpose was to increase my strength and conditioning for gymnastics.

My question is, would it be wise to keep the Crossfit methodology, but instead of doing the WOD, use pretty much 3-4/4 gymnastics exercises for workouts? I'm talking nearly all bodyweight stuff, then maybe some additional weight exercises that reflect gymnastics motions, chosen at my discretion.

Or would it be better to just keep doing the WOD?

Like I said, my goal isn't just all-around fitness, it's gymnastics-specific fitness.

Thanks!

-Kevin
Old 03-04-2004, 03:39 PM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Let me give you my workouts as an example. I am an ex-competetive gymnast. I do not follow the WOD, but fully endorse the method and philosophy. My workouts have been of a WOD like structure, but geared towards gymnastics since before I knew about crossfit. I have incorporated many of the crossfit concepts into my workouts, but keep a gymnastics specific training regimine.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:00 PM   #3
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
An ex-competitive gymnast? Oh man, you're about to get such a brain picking...

...in a while. First, I'd like to ask - Could I see an example of a workout for you, just to get an idea?

-Kevin
Old 03-04-2004, 07:13 PM   #4
Jason Lauer

Profile:
Coach always says use the WOD for GPP and then practice your sport. I've dumped the WOD from time to time when I needed to get specific for physical tests to focus on areas I thought I was lacking. If the WOD leaves too wasted to work on it maybe you could scale it down (I know that's hard for me).
Old 03-05-2004, 04:58 PM   #5
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
How about something like this:

http://planetjubei.com/mazone/?page=...aining&id=1872

Coulod I basically take that, and apply it mostly to
gymnastics exercises?
Old 03-05-2004, 06:21 PM   #6
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Or, alternatively, should I just stop whining, do Crossfit, and do gymnastics-specific conditioning in the warmup?
Old 03-05-2004, 06:36 PM   #7
James Taft

Profile:

I think the stop whining option is a good one...go with that:-) I'm messing with you man. I asked a similar question, but with distance running and WOD. I think you should just try to fit in a WOD when you feel particularly strong and then add more as your body adjusts to the new workload. I think scaling it down like Jason said is a good option too. I am working with that idea right now and it seems to be working ok. Good luck

Jim
Old 03-05-2004, 07:26 PM   #8
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Heh. Thanks.

They have a pretty good list of exercises over at drillsandskills.com, so I'm thinking - their list, plus randomization = gymnastics oriented WOD? Just speculating here. :wink:

-Kevin
Old 03-05-2004, 07:26 PM   #9
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Oh, and also, if you guys happen to read this, I'd like the input of Coach, and Tyler Hass.

-Kevin
Old 03-05-2004, 08:40 PM   #10
Jason Lauer

Profile:
Another though if you don't have the paralette training guide from american gymnast get it and print it out. They have different guides for beginner, intermediate, and advanced. Really good pictures and descriptions. Only thing is I keep falling on my face (thank god for carpet).