CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
I went for a job interview today as a oga instructor for a therapeutic summer camp for kids with ADHD, bipolar, aspergers, etc. In the end, they asked me what else I can do (as I am social worker working with special needs) since their goal is to use spokrts to help kids with social skills. I told the interviewer (a sports psychologist) and CF and that I am attending a cert nxt weekend. He lit up and asked how I can integrate this into the program. Does anyone running CF kids have any input as I am sure it can work..based on team workouts, supportiveness and helping each other out while building strength, endurance and stamina. The kids will be btwn 4/6-14
BTW, I was asked on the spot if I can commit within two weeks. The ball may very well be in my court now based on salary.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I've worked with kids with special needs in a gymnastics setting and it is really great. Depending on the function level of the kid involved a specific helper may need to be present in a group setting.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:21 AM   #3
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Sarena,
Contact Mikki at:
Mikki.CrossFitKids@Gmail.com
She'll be able to help you out. One of our CrossFit Kids Magazines fetured a youngster who has special needs. Also each month the magazine has games and team workouts that can be easily adapted to different age groups and abilities.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:06 PM   #4
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Thanks a lot all! I will see where I go with this based on what they are offering salary-wise!
Old 03-08-2007, 05:15 PM   #5
Yael Grauer

Profile:
You may want to educate yourself on different types of special needs so you can see what accomodations need to be made. A good book is Including Students with Special Needs by I think Marilyn Friend. It's written for classroom teachers but could be helpful.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
I actually have worked with this population for a while. I was also an assistant teacher in a class of special needs students a few years ago! I am pretty aware of varying needs and accomodations but will def. check out that book Yael. Thanks for the input
Old 03-09-2007, 12:22 AM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
I have worked with, like Roger a lot of diffent kids in gymnastics. Most were ADHD, different stages of autism, or cognitive learning disabilities.

Though he is not into CF, look up a guy named Gene Hurwin as he is big in the gymnastics world when it comes to special needs and gymnastics.

http://www.bigfungymnastics.com/our-...rwin-gene.html

Safe for family, work and pets.