CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-05-2006, 04:23 PM   #1
Ben Jackson

Profile:
Has anyone tried Super Squats? If so how did it work? Can someone outline this workout and diet for me?
Old 04-05-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
Dave Campbell

Profile:
Is that from the guy who started the Herdgainer website (Stuart McRoberts?). I haven't tried it but I've done plenty of 20 rep squats. Take a weight that you normally do 10 reps with and do 20 reps. It's a killer and you'll be sore for days! The only Crossfit WOD I've done that comes close to the pain in my legs is Tabata squats.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:17 PM   #3
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Yep, super squats involves 20-rep squats and drinking a gallon of milk a day. You can get similar info from this site:

http://bulkingup.moonfruit.com/

Old 04-05-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
John Seiler

Profile:
That's funny to see this as I just posted about SuperSquats on your other post. The program is great. Now that I know about Crossfit, I would use it like the ME black box; say back squats only every 2nd day of our 4 day split, every 8 days. I would also do full range instead of the parallel squats I did. Crossfit will take care of the rest.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:16 AM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
I was introduced to Super Squats back in HS during weight training with the football team. By some loophole I got into that class. He is also an X-fit affiliate ( SST- Steve Kenyon ).

I remember them as 20 rep, 3 breaths per rep, and weight was supposed to be around bodyweight.

If anything I really wonder if I was taught to squat full range back then. I don't remember doing so, but would do it with dumbells.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:22 AM   #6
Tony Young

Profile:
Here's the original source. Dr. Randy Strossen wrote the book based on routines from JC Hise, Mark Berry and others in the '20's. I've used it and had great success in weight gain and overall strength. I've used it 1 day a week in a CF schedule with a trainee and he did well, too. It's a massive mental challenge after the getting-used-to-it beginning phase.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:30 AM   #7
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
I've heard good things. The milk thing sounds a little tough to handle but is probably one of the major reasons it works.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:00 AM   #8
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
I've heard a lot of great things about the program for weight gain. Note that weight gain does not discriminate between muscle and fat. The guys I know who have tried this program and found success with it were extremely skinny and happy to add any type of weight to their frames. Also, if I recall, the original program called for 2-3 sessions per week - the rest of your time was spent relaxing and eating (and drinking whole milk of course!). For this reason I'm weary of integrating the routine into a CF split. In my humble opinion, doing so would compromise both recovery and gains. If your main goal is to add some size the program certainly will do it for you, but give it your complete attention for 6-8 weeks and then come back to CF bigger and stronger. My 2 cents....
Old 04-06-2006, 09:04 AM   #9
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I just finished the book which is available from Iron Mind. Jon is right: the premise is that you want to gain large amounts of muscle -- I think the subtitle is "how to gain 30 pounds of muscle in 6 weeks." I don't think the milk part is a critical element -- what it is recommending is upping your caloric intake considerably with a good source of protein.

I'm going to try to focus only on the 20 rep squat, which the book says is the only thing that matters. The rest of the exercises they propose are "icing on the cake." A 20 rep squat at maximum effort twice a week doesn't sound too incompatible with CF. To paraphrase the book, "load the bar with a weight that you can lift 10 times, and then do it 20 times." In other words, you have to use your mind to exert the intensity to overcome your natural limit -- sounds pretty CF, no?
Old 04-06-2006, 09:45 AM   #10
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Elliot,

I don't think that the two are completely incompatibile, I simply feel that you are going to compromise your muscle gains by incorporating the program into a CF template versus using it as a stand-alone program. Most of the guys who are looking to gain muscle have a hard enough time consuming enough calories to facilitate muscle growth using an abbreivated program (2-3 days per week). Adding in CF-style metcon work to the super squats program is going to necessitate even higher calorie consumption to offset the calories burned during the extra workouts. It's doable, but why make the situation more difficult?