CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-30-2006, 08:20 AM   #1
Peter Queen

Profile:
Wow! You people are in a whole different league than I am. I found your link through the Mens Journal website and have been reading your mail for sometime now. I thought that I was in pretty decent shape for a 40 something year old. I get up at 3:30 every morning and run 3 to 4 miles while carrying 10lb dumdbells in each hand. I do a series of upper body cardio work while running, such as punches, overhead dumdbell press and side lateral raises for my shoulders. It's pretty intense. On the days that I don't run I walk. While walking I carry 15lb dumdbells,each hand, while wearing a 30lb weight vest. I still do the same type of upper body cardio work but I do more since I am using less energy from not running. Walking or running, when I am done I do 3 sets of pushups with my feet elevated on a chair followed by 9 sets of stomach crunches(3 sets per side and 3 sets for the front). When I am done I take my shower and go to work. I have dramatically changed my eating habbits now also. I use to eat good meals but would always fill the rest of my day with junk food. Now I eat healthy all the time and consume only about 15% junk food. Hey, I watch what I eat but I still love junk food but not nearly as much though. I have eaten more salads and soups in the last 3 months than in the last 3 years. When eating salads i use my favorite yogurt as opposed to salad dressing. It taste better and is healthier anyway. I have shredded a lot of body fat and no longer have that bloated feeling from eating gabbage. I also drink up to a gallon of water every day to help the kidneys flush out everything more effectively. I take garlic pills with my meals and fish pills after I am done. Even when I used to run marathons I was never in this good of shape and being 6ft 5in at 250lbs that's saying something, because big people don't normally run a lot. But after seeing what you all do, it is really crazy. I want to be crazy like that. I have started tailoring my workouts to mimick the CF philosophy. Wow, I am feeling the burn in a whole new way. Thanks for the insperation. As a volunteer firefighter I can greatly bennefit from always pushing that proverbial envelope in the fitness area. Any further advice is greatly welcomed. It's nice to have a place where people like me can go to to learn and share ideas because if you are like me, there are not many people within my world who take exercising as seriously as I do.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:06 AM   #2
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Peter,
Welcome. The only advice I would give you is jump in and do the WOD for a couple of months.
Jeff
Old 01-30-2006, 02:13 PM   #3
Peter Queen

Profile:
Thanks for the response Jeff. I have looked at some of the WODs and found them to be very informative. I will work hard to incorporate them into my workout. I really appreciate reading and having good communication with others like myself but who are more informed than me. This is the type of knowledge that I've always looked for throughout most of my life. That is why at 45 I can still do most of the things that I could at 25. It's funny because I am in better shape than most of my much younger fellow firefighters. Partly, because I am old school and did not grow up in the computer or tv game world. As kids we actually played outside until our parents came looking for us. I titled my original heading "Superhero in Training" because I have always been a big fan of superheroes: Spiderman, Captain America, Thor, Batman, Superman ect.., and I have always tried to keep myself in the best shape I can throughout my life. I still collect comic books now. Don't worry I am not unstable; I am the sanest person I know, ha, ha. What can I say, I'm a big kid at heart. But that's what helps to keep us young right? Basically I have always admired people in general who keep themselves in top shape, from in the military, my track and field experience, martial arts experience as well as my continued experience as a firefighter. I like reading your crossfit discusion board because I have discovered a new group of people who share my super hero mentality. I look at life as everyday being a new adventure. Talk to you soon.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:36 PM   #4
Motion Macivor

Profile:
Peter,
You know your own fitness level beter than anybody else, but be sure to take a cautionary aproach to the WODs in your first couple of weeks. Espescialy when your trying new movements like plyometrics and O lifting. I'm not saying this to be patronizing it's just that these workouts have a funny way of knocking people down a couple notches (myself included). Other than tat Giv'er!
Old 01-30-2006, 03:00 PM   #5
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Peter, welcome to CrossFit!
Old 01-30-2006, 08:08 PM   #6
Russell Biser

Profile:
Peter I definitely agree. I do the WOD because I got tired of waiting for a radioactive spider bite. Cheers.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:34 PM   #7
Skip Chase

Profile:
Peter,
Welcome!

Sincerely,
Superman
Old 01-30-2006, 10:55 PM   #8
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Okay then I get to be Captain America.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:28 AM   #9
Jamila Bey

Profile:
I'm Storm from X-men!
Old 01-31-2006, 07:10 AM   #10
Peter Queen

Profile:
Cool, I appreciate the responses from everybody. Motion, I like your spider monkey, it's pretty funny. Thanks Superman, Capt,Russell and Frank. Hey Jamila great choice, as far as female superheroes go, Storm has always been my favorite followed by Susan Storm of the FF. Plus I have another reason to like you, you are from my home town of DC. Shout out to the east coast. Russell I understand where you are coming from, I was bummed out knowing that I was actually not the son of a Norse god also, so I decided to get in shape the hard way like a good little mortal, ha, ha. Personally I've always fancied Colossus of the X-Men because like me, he is also over 6ft 4in, weighs 250lbs is big, muscular and likes to help people. Anyway, I will continue to work out in a whole new way thanks to CF and will continue to share in future discussions.
Thanks for your support and for being there everybody.
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/20/19187.gif