CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #3491
Terry Dickman
Member Terry Dickman is offline
 
Terry Dickman's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Manteca  CA
Posts: 546
Re: Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jaeckel View Post
Cholesterol improvement: not what I'd hoped, but better overall and in every category.

TOTAL HDL LDL VLDL TRIGLYCERIDES

11/2 283 57 183 43 214
3/27 274 64 180 30 151

Still high on the LDL, but real low on the VLDL and the jury's out scientifically on LDL anyway. VLDL is the bad stuff. Higher on HDL, also good. And triglycerides much improved.

There are still a couple of areas of my regular diet that are not rigidly (or even semi-rigidly) Paleo, and there I can improve.
Hey John, I just had mine done 2 weeks ago.

TOTAL-265
HDL-66
LDL -185
TRIGLYCERIDES-70

I used to be on meds for high cholesterol but quit because in my opinion the side effects were not worth it. My diet has been pretty good for the last year, very strict Paleo. I feel better than ever, my body fat is way down.

I think this whole thing about high cholesterol is really subjective.
Have you had the test where they measure particle size? LDL is calculated and it's really more important to find out what the particle size is, large particles are better, there is new data out there that suggest that particle size is a better indicator of coronary risk. You can have low LDL an be at high risk if particles are small or vice versa, be at low risk with high LDL and large particles.

We have an over 50 member in our gym who had a TRIGLYCERIDE level of over 400, 6 months after paleo it was down to 80.

check these links out both WFS
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/w...king-the-myth/
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...terol-a-primer

and listen to Robb's webcast episode 19
http://*************/2010/03/16/the-...on-episode-19/
__________________
53/5'11"/200 lbs My workout log (WFS)

Last edited by Terry Dickman; 04-01-2010 at 08:28 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:31 AM   #3492
Jeff Kilinski
Member Jeff Kilinski is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Glen Ellyn  IL
Posts: 303
Re: Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In

Thursday, April 1st,

3 sets for times:
Run 800 m @ 80% 4:04, 4:23, 4:22
rest 3 min
Row 800 m @ 80% 2:56, 3:05, 2:59
rest 3 min

Today's a rest day. Well, sort of. Taking the kids to Museum of Science and Industry, IMAX Hubble Space Show, then Chinatown.
__________________
_________________
M, 51, 6', 175
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:07 AM   #3493
John Jaeckel
Member John Jaeckel is offline
 
John Jaeckel's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus  OH
Posts: 1,103
Re: Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Dickman View Post
Hey John, I just had mine done 2 weeks ago.

TOTAL-265
HDL-66
LDL -185
TRIGLYCERIDES-70

I used to be on meds for high cholesterol but quit because in my opinion the side effects were not worth it. My diet has been pretty good for the last year, very strict Paleo. I feel better than ever, my body fat is way down.

I think this whole thing about high cholesterol is really subjective.
Have you had the test where they measure particle size? LDL is calculated and it's really more important to find out what the particle size is, large particles are better, there is new data out there that suggest that particle size is a better indicator of coronary risk. You can have low LDL an be at high risk if particles are small or vice versa, be at low risk with high LDL and large particles.

We have an over 50 member in our gym who had a TRIGLYCERIDE level of over 400, 6 months after paleo it was down to 80.

check these links out both WFS
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/w...king-the-myth/
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...terol-a-primer

and listen to Robb's webcast episode 19
http://*************/2010/03/16/the-...on-episode-19/
Hey Terry, yeah, I listen to Robb's podcasts pretty much every night. GREAT stuff. I think my triglycerides were as high as they were because I sort of fell off the wagon on booze a couple of times the week leading up to my test. I have been really good on Paleo, though I do need to eliminate the odd bowl of ice cream.

I have not had my LDL particles examined, but I have a suspicion that mine is as high as it is largely due to exercise, not diet. There's a lot of evidence that muscular inflammation from heavy training causes elevated LDL, and that's not a bad thing. The Framingham Heart Study clearly states that there is zero correlation between elevated LDL and heart disease risk. But there is with VLDL (and by association, triglycerides).

Seems like the latest science points to HDL being optimally high and triglycerides/VLDL being optimally low as the key to reducing your heart disease risk. And that said, I feel pretty good about where I am and what I am trending toward.

Conversely, I read a great article (online—no link available right now) about "Wheat Belly", by an MD, basically talking about the low HDL and high triglyceride numbers (and borderline diabetic FBG) of physically active people who eat the USDA recommended 10-12 servings a day of grains.
__________________
M/52/6'/205 DL-345 BP-240 BS-300 SP-150
"This isn't rocket surgery."
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #3494
Jim Cordes
Member Jim Cordes is offline
 
Jim Cordes's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Santa Barbara  CA
Posts: 854
Re: Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In

4/2 WOD

”100 Up”
Take weight from the ground to overhead in any fashion that you’d like. However, every time that the weight is put down it’s time to run 400M.
Weights – 95# barbell/ 45# dumbbells (alternate after each run)

26:05 @ 75# barbell, 35# dumbbells, power cleans and jerks on all reps. Another very hard WOD! Did sets of about 20-30, so only three runs. Resting barball on back of neck was a bad idea. It was too hard to bring it over head, and then it just fell hard, stressing grip. Resting bar in lap while hunched over was most efficient rest. Resting dumbbells on legs above knees was pretty efficient too. Toward ends of each set I was resting between each lift. Augie just plugged away like a piston, and was done in about half my time; Glenn cranked them out too. KJ picked an enormous weight and once again dug very, very deep to finish this one. I won't be sad if this doesn't come up again for a couple years/ever.

The Claw
__________________
M/52/5'8"/162 lbs aka "The Claw" at www.crossfitpacificcoast.com (WFS)
Twitter: @ClawIsFit
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #3495
John Jaeckel
Member John Jaeckel is offline
 
John Jaeckel's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus  OH
Posts: 1,103
Re: Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In

04/02/10:
(3rd Week, Wendler 5/3/1, OHS Day)

WARMUP:
re-configured my gym, which involved a lot of schlepping weights and equipment (and 110 lb. mats) around
OHS 5x45, 5x55, 3x65
Full body stretch
PVC rollovers

STRENGTH:
OHS
5x80
3x90
8x100

WOD:
100 Ball Slams (25 lb)
5:01
__________________
M/52/6'/205 DL-345 BP-240 BS-300 SP-150
"This isn't rocket surgery."

Last edited by John Jaeckel; 04-02-2010 at 02:40 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:37 PM   #3496
John Jaeckel
Member John Jaeckel is offline
 
John Jaeckel's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus  OH
Posts: 1,103
Re: Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cordes View Post
4/2 WOD

”100 Up”
Take weight from the ground to overhead in any fashion that you’d like. However, every time that the weight is put down it’s time to run 400M.
Weights – 95# barbell/ 45# dumbbells (alternate after each run)

26:05 @ 75# barbell, 35# dumbbells, power cleans and jerks on all reps. Another very hard WOD! Did sets of about 20-30, so only three runs. Resting barball on back of neck was a bad idea. It was too hard to bring it over head, and then it just fell hard, stressing grip. Resting bar in lap while hunched over was most efficient rest. Resting dumbbells on legs above knees was pretty efficient too. Toward ends of each set I was resting between each lift. Augie just plugged away like a piston, and was done in about half my time; Glenn cranked them out too. KJ picked an enormous weight and once again dug very, very deep to finish this one. I won't be sad if this doesn't come up again for a couple years/ever.

The Claw
Funny, I would have done a lot of it with behind the neck jerks
__________________
M/52/6'/205 DL-345 BP-240 BS-300 SP-150
"This isn't rocket surgery."
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #3497
Pat Quigley
Member Pat Quigley is offline
 
Pat Quigley's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Phoenix  AZ
Posts: 867
Re: Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In

Did "Tabata Something Else". 4 exercises: Pull ups, push ups, sit ups, and squats do for 20 sec, 10 sec off for 8 rounds each. No rest between exercises. Did 62 Pull ups, 82 Push ups, 67 Sit ups (on ground, not GHD), 183 squats. This is no PR. still a great workout.
__________________
M,72,5'11",255. Level 1, Movement. certs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #3498
John Scott Rezendes
Member John Scott Rezendes is offline
 
John Scott Rezendes's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Seoul  Korea
Posts: 265
Re: Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In

4-2-10

Beautiful day here in southern GA so I executed a 13 mile bike ride as a warm up and pretty much discovered the folly of it too late.

WOD: 3-3-3-3-3 Hang Power Cleans
115x10
125x3
135x3
145x3
155x3
165 F

Was just plain ol' gassed early on and my form suffered mightily as a result. My 1 RM for the HPC is #175. Live to fight another day.
__________________
m/54/5'11/198
"Oh, come on, Little Debbie, don't cry! It makes my knees hurt!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #3499
Jim Cordes
Member Jim Cordes is offline
 
Jim Cordes's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Santa Barbara  CA
Posts: 854
Re: Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jaeckel View Post
Funny, I would have done a lot of it with behind the neck jerks
Except that the movement was floor to overhead, so doing behind the neck jerks meant extra distance clearing my head and going back down to shoulder. I tended to put bar in rest position after completing an overhead rep, so it came down behind my head, then I had to pop it up and over on its way down to the ground.

(Man, there's a lot of stratergy in this stuff. )

The Claw
__________________
M/52/5'8"/162 lbs aka "The Claw" at www.crossfitpacificcoast.com (WFS)
Twitter: @ClawIsFit
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #3500
John Burch
Member John Burch is offline
 
John Burch's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Valparaiso  In
Posts: 741
Re: Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In

CFC WU

Pushpress
5@ 95#
5@ 115
5@ 135
5@ 150
5@ 160

WOD
10-1 95# snatch
1-10 95# thruster
25:08

felt strong in the early rounds then the thrusters came into play

m/55/178 CrossFit Chesterton
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sign this guy up for CF John Tuitele Equipment 5 05-27-2014 06:16 PM
Roadside Sign ideas Jennie Yundt Running a CrossFit Facility 8 07-06-2008 04:00 PM
AF Equipment Newsletter Sign-up Jon Gilson Equipment 0 04-27-2007 11:36 AM
Is this a sign of supercompensation? Stephen Kichuk Fitness 4 02-01-2007 06:24 PM
CrossFit Ann Arbor's New Sign Douglas Chapman Running a CrossFit Facility 6 11-26-2006 04:22 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:54 AM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.