CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-23-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
Curtis Nelson

Profile:
I feel that I have to voice my views on this whole PUKIE thing that I keep reading about on this website. I grew up an athlete in wrestling; football and I eventually went on to college to play baseball. I have trained so hard that I have fainted but I can’t say that I have ever puked from training (and trust me when I say – I have trained pretty intensely). I have almost puked several times but I feel that I had the mental capacity to realize that I needed to stop what I was doing for the moment. Five minutes later I felt fine.
I eventually came across the whole Crossfit type of training and I have to say that I love the training methods, the mentality toward training, and the website is great at being open forum for everyone interested. The only problem I have with the site is the promotion of working out until you puke.
Now I’m not here to claim superior knowledge over anyone but I’m here to tell you that PUKING is an extreme reaction from your body trying to tell you to stop doing what you are doing. I also feel that there are only a few reasons why your body feels the need to puke. I’ll just skip the whole drinking to much step.

1. And the most important – DEHYDRATION – If you do not hydrate you will dehydrate! I once read an article that said that - over 40 percent of Americans are walking around in a dehydrated state. I’m here to tell you that when I am hydrated, no matter how hard I train, I have a great workout. When I don’t hydrate correctly I can try and run around the block and I would feel like crap. I can tell you from two-a-day football practices during hell-week in high school that the people that puked during the sprints were probably 90% of the time dehydrated.
2. NUTRITION – Just like water, when I eat whole healthy foods I can train like an animal. If I eat junk I train like junk. The closest I have ever come to puking I can honestly tell you that it was because of what I ate that day or lack there of. The next time someone on this site posts that they met PUKIE ask them what they ate before they trained. I bet it wasn’t good. Also keep in mind that about 80% of your success or failure in fitness can be attributed to what you put into your body not what you do to it. Of course you have to train hard to achieve physical fitness (that is not what I am trying to say). It doesn't matter if your goal is to gain or lose weight if you don't eat healthy you will never gain or lose that 10 pounds you were shooting for.
3. YOUR BODY CAN’T HANDLE WHAT YOU ARE DOING TO IT – I know that this is going to rub a lot of people on this site the wrong way but it is not a slap to crossfit. I train in crossfit and can say that I train harder than most people I know and I have never puked from working out. If you puke it is the most extreme way of your body saying, “please stop killing me.” You should always train as much as your body can handle. If you are not in good shape and you can’t do the workout, just do what you can, write down your numbers, and beat them next time. It takes time to get into better shape people. It doesn’t happen any faster or slower if you sit out that final set of thrusters or if you train until you puke - trust me. You know when you are going to puke. It doesn’t just happen – at least it doesn’t to me. So the next time you get that queasy feeling stop what you are doing, take a breath, drink some water, lie down and put a moist towel on your head. You can train again tomorrow.
4. YOU ARE SICK – You have the flu or something which means you should be in bed asleep getting better so you can train until you almost puke.

On a final note: I once again have to say that I am saying this out of respect and encouragement for everyone to keep training hard at what you are doing. I love crossfit and I visit the site religiously and follow their workout routine. I only disagree with this one little thing. Now go train smart!
Old 06-23-2006, 02:25 PM   #2
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Dude, what's with you posting this topic on several different forums?
Old 06-23-2006, 03:20 PM   #3
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I'm so pleased that you joined so that you could educate all of us. You must think it's a pretty important message too, what with all the cross-posting and all.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
Paul Findley

Profile:
If you crossfit and puke, be sure to first confirm you are not pregnant.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:45 PM   #5
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
"Now I’m not here to claim superior knowledge..."

Really? That's a good thing. You had me fooled for a second there.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:17 PM   #6
Curtis Nelson

Profile:
The reason I posted several times was to reach a wider audience. If that offends you then I will not do it again. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:50 PM   #7
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Do not cross post. The audience is the same.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:08 PM   #8
Skip Chase

Profile:
It takes all kinds........
Old 06-23-2006, 05:22 PM   #9
Adrian Bozman

Profile:
""The only problem I have with the site is the promotion of working out until you puke."

Curtis,

Where exactly is the promotion of working out until you puke? With all due respect, I think you're taking the whole pukie thing a little too far. Nobody is advocating training till you puke on a regular basis. Every Crossfit trainer/affiliate I've ever come in contact with puts emphasis on going hard, but being smart about it. Being aware of potential side effects of an intense workout in a lite-hearted way (ie having pukie the clown as a mascot) is not telling people to work out until they lose their lunch.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:32 PM   #10
Lisa Ray

Profile:
Consider reading the CrossFit Journals 33 and 38 for May and October 2005 on killer workouts and rhabdo and understand no one is advocating puking. https://store.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F37328&rnd=6769432&rrc=N&aff l=&cip=207.192.254.63&act=&aff=&pg=ste_cat&startro w=25&searchstr=&searchrpp=25&s earchtyp=&ref=cfjbak&cat=&catstr=

CrossFit is all about scaling the workouts, starting slow and building a base. Mr. Pukie is a warning in a cartoon.