CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:00 AM   #1
Jesse R james

Profile:
Just noticed the increased Affiliation fees...

Was just perusing the FAQ today and noticed the affiliation fee's are going up to $2000 a year on Jan 7 2009.

Kinda makes me wish I had started Crossfitting a bit sooner

(w/f/s) http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#Affiliates1

***Not complaining about it, from what I know its well worth the cost. Just putting it out there so people are aware.***

Last edited by Jesse R james; 01-02-2009 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: Edited for the correct date in Jan, the 7th not the 9th.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:34 AM   #2
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:
Re: Just noticed the increased Affiliation fees...

Glad I got in early. That still isn't much in the scheme of things. Think about how much a license for the NY Yankees or something like that costs...millions.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
Andrew Craig

Profile:

Been a big discussion about this over here in the u.k. $2000 from $1000 is a huge jump. As an affiliate I know how much getting started cost when it was $1000, this i feel will turn a few people away.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
Charlie A Nilsson

Profile:

thats a huge jump...
2000 a year is loads off money, why the huge cost??
A big starting cost maybe, but do you have to be rich to be able to start a CrossFit gym?
What is the big raise in cost that motivates a 100% increase in price??
what's the bang for the bucks??
28/5.6/~150# DL: 419# BS: 330# Press: 155# "Mary" 16+2 "Angie" 15:29 "Murph" 34:15 "Fran" 3:42
Old 01-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:

Here are my thoughts on this,

We have asked for more standardization and greater controls over the quality of the affiliates. By raising the cost of affiliation this will quickly weed out a portion of folks that are not truly "serious" about this. A $1000.00 is alot but $2000.00 is way more in the mind. It now works as a screen. Also, CrossFit HQ is talking about offering affiliates insurance specifically for us and that is going to take some money to get going. Now, that said I was grandfathered in from the beginning so I know for the new affiliates this is going to be hard.

This may not be the reason at all and it may be about greed but so far that is not a pattern I have seen with the Glassmans.

However, $32.00 or $36.00 for a t-shirt (see the new t-shirts) is dumb in my opinion and I will not be buying one anytime soon. I understand the cost in production as I am an affiliate and have to get shirts made but that is just dumb. IMO.

My .02
Old 01-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #6
Jesse R james

Profile:

I think the big shock to me was sort of on two levels:

1. They didn't seem to mention it increasing anywhere else, at least that I've seen.

2. I think I remember seeing the cost go from $500ish in '07 to $1000 in '08. So I was kind of expecting maybe $1500...but $2000 kinda threw me off a bit. (Going off memory, might not have been those exact amounts/time frames)
Old 01-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

The increase was announced on Jan 1st of this year in a letter from Coach on the Affiliate Blog. The FAQ was updated at the same time.

If you would like to read more reasons as to why this cost is necessary, please take a look at the Comments on the Affiliate Blog, or if you're already an affiliate, you can find greater explanation also, by Coach himself, on the private Affiliate Forum, in a thread entitled "The New Affiliates Policy."

The increase takes place on January 7th, so there are still two full days to submit your application and, if accepted, get locked in at the $1,000 rate. I would elaborate more here, but I'd just be repeating myself. Take a look at the Comments on the 1st. Hopefully, my explanation there will clarify some things for you.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #8
Jesse R james

Profile:

My apologies Lisbeth! I didn't see that posting, I'll go search for it
Old 01-04-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
Jesse R james

Profile:

That actually answered alot of my questions, kinda kicking myself for not having seen it earlier...I usually check the Aff. blog daily. Thanks again!
Old 01-05-2009, 02:32 AM   #10
Charlie A Nilsson

Profile:

well if you want a screen.. why not a bigger starting fee, and a sligthly lower annual fee.

if i understood the Affilliation blog comments.. you do get more for the bucks then before.
But still its quite a big steap up from 1000, considering it started as a garage gym... all those small garage gyms will die real soon.. the fee will eat up most of the income for a starting business. just my thoughts.

Well considering i'm thinking of Affiliation.. so i will sell my soul anyway
28/5.6/~150# DL: 419# BS: 330# Press: 155# "Mary" 16+2 "Angie" 15:29 "Murph" 34:15 "Fran" 3:42