CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-02-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
Joe Miller

Profile:
This isn't an injury per se but it seemed like the most logical choice for forum:

I've always realized I didn't seem to have a normal lumbar curve, but never really thought much of it. (Not sure why, just ignorant I suppose. My back doesn't hurt, and I have a normal, fully upright posture -- I don't lean forward or anything). Rather than curve "in" at 20-30 degrees, my lower spine actually bows "out" slightly. (I guess my hips must be rotated oddly to have me still stand up straight? I don't know.)

Anyway, I went to a chiropractor for the first time in my life (on a doctor's recommendation, when she noticed my spine in a physical). He seemed very concerned, played around with my lower back and wants to see me again (often, apparantly).

But the bottom line is that he told me to do absolutely no more "squats, deadlifts, lunges, or any other exercise with loading on the lower back." I told him I do these exercises regularly with no problems or pain. He still advised against it.

This sucks and I don't know if I want to listen to his advice. I realize that no one on here is a doctor (or, if you are, that you can't actually examine me), but does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm really not sure how to proceed at this point.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:38 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Find another chiropractor and get a second opinion.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:33 PM   #3
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
I second Veronica's advice.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:45 PM   #4
Ben Krey

Profile:

Does he want you to lay off for a while or stop them forever? There is a big difference. Did you go to him with acute LBP? You said it wasn't an injury per se. Has he worked on you at all? Did it seem to help? For what purpose did a doctor recommend you see a chiropractor? You might need a new chiropractor, but we don't have enough information to say for sure.

As for the lumbar spine curve, a forward curve (lordosis) is helpful for optimal biomechanics. It may be something you can reduce but not necessarily reverse especially if it has always been that way.

Adaptation is a funny thing... it might actually be no big deal depending on your physical needs. If you are doing crossfit with much intensity, I have a feeling your needs are great, lol.

Above all make sure you getting adequate recovery. Don't ignore your body. Use ice. And if you persue chiropractic care, my advice is to go with the perspective that you are trying to make the most of what you have.

If you are going to a good chiropractor he will actually help your body adapt more quickly to be able to do those things you love so much. (coo coo) :crazy:
Old 01-02-2006, 06:59 PM   #5
Joe Miller

Profile:
Ben - no I have no acute lower back pain. My general doctor literally just noticed that my lower back didn't curve normally and was concered about the compression loads this might be putting on my vertebrae when I did heavy weight-bearing exercises, so recommended I see a chiro (I'd never seen one before). The chiro apparantly shared her concerns, and told me to stop.

I *think* his order to stop was temporary, although I think he really just wants to work with me some more before making any final judgments. He worked on me a bit -- didn't seem too make much of a difference either way to me. I came home from his office and did a few sets of heavy front squats (in disobedience), they felt fine to me.

He recommended I just do seated machine leg extensions and laying-in-a-machine "hamstring curls" (I have no idea what that exercise is really called). These recommendations alone biased me against him, I have to admit.

I think the advice to get a second opinion is good. I'd have honestly probably not thought of that, as it's not something I've ever done before.

Old 01-02-2006, 08:41 PM   #6
James Hall

Profile:
Joe,
I've seen pts who've been told one side of their pelvis is too high and get a shoe lift. Yeah, if you want to create a problem intoduce it into the real being.
These guys make their money off this crap. (Don't mean to offend any DCs, as PTs are just as bad!) If it doesn't hurt, don't screw with it! If I ever find the perfect, symmetrical human being, I'm gonna be a rich guy. It doesn't exist!!
Old 01-03-2006, 03:20 AM   #7
Paul Symes

Profile:
My own experience of Chiropractors is that they are more concerned with making money that helping anyone get over a back injury.

If you haven't even got a back injury just leave it alone.

A chiro nearly killed me once. I was nearly fixed and he half crippled me, I couldn't walk for a month.

As for GPs, they don't know their asses from their elbows. 'Don't do deadlifting' is just an out of office reply; they're just playing it safe witout really knowing what they're saying.

Old 01-03-2006, 05:39 AM   #8
John Velandra

Profile:
Joe,
Here's a suggestion... not knowing anything about the area you're from, I would drop an email to the CrossFitNC (or any other CrossFit affiliate that has a chiro that trains) as Jason is a Chiro (Oly coach and PL as well I believe) and he can point you in the right direction.

My problem with so many chiro's is that they do not exercise - be in conventional or not - in which they DO the functional movements. Yeah, don't deadlift, but then any time you lift something off the ground, guess what you're doing?

So with all the rambling, check out their site and drop him a line, I'm sure he can offer some good suggestions...
Old 01-03-2006, 10:52 AM   #9
Ben Krey

Profile:

I am a chiro as well and can understand some of the negative sentiment. Sorry you had such a bad experience, Paul, but no, as a whole, we are not more concerned with making money than helping people. I know you are just speaking from your own experience but lets not get carried away. Also to say that GP's don't know their asses from their elbows is a pretty ignorant thing to say across the board... at least qualify your statement.
I had back problems at 12 and an extra transitional segment (2a) where part of the sacrum separates and becomes a lobsided vertebrae. I had daily headaches and was on daily medication until 10th grade. Chiropractic care changed my life literally. I told everyone in 10th grade that I was going to be a chiropractor... Knowing that I can help someone that has it as bad as I did gets me up in the morning... not the smell of money. I do agree with you that many doctors let their malpractice insurance company do the talking (don't do this, don't do that).
My back is stronger than ever and I get adjusted every week. I am 6' tall and am closing in on a 300# olympic style squat. Isn't that bad for your back? lol.

James, I know what you mean with the heel lifts. It really can mess with someones overall biomechanics to throw a wedge under them. The don't mess if it isn't broken is a separate debate, lol... what do you mean by broken?

Joe, I respectfully disagree with the leg curl and extension recommendations. Send me an email if you have any specific questions toshrug@gmail.com or just post in this thread.

John, I think you are right on the money.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:21 PM   #10
James Hall

Profile:
Hey, Ben!
No dissing the DCs, seriously, some PTs I work with make my head hurt!
Came home one day and the wife says ask your son (14 yo) what he wants to be? A chiropractor. No offense, but I just about crapped. He doesn't want to be a MD because of the blood. But you know what? I don't want him to be a PT either. I want him to be a DC that is also a CF trainer, and Oly lifting certified!
Course it made me feel better when he said, "But we can work together Dad, I'll hire you." I still smile and get a kick out of that!