CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 10-13-2007, 08:17 PM   #81
David Aguasca

Profile:
Re: One arm chin up competition

Derek, i'd focus on strength...i'm not sure if doing any metabolic work is going to help your OAP ability...find a way to attach more weight to yourself and do triples!

anyway, i'm definitely out of this one for a long while; i'm climbing 3-4 days a week now, i barely have enough juice left to do some metcon after all that.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:38 PM   #82
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Great to hear you are climbing David. Hope school is going well and give a holler when you're back in town!
Old 10-14-2007, 12:02 AM   #83
Derek Maffett

Profile:

David, you're right. Metcon isn't going to give me a one arm chin and it is only going to slow me down. However, I need the metcon. Back when we all started, I had a pathetic metabolic conditioning. For the last month and a half, I've been doing both metcon and strength and I have doubled my metabolic conditioning.

I never want to see another twenty minute Fran or seven round Cindy. If it takes me a little bit longer to get the OAC, then so be it. If I'm going to be good in one area, I will be at least average in the rest.

That having been said, I do need to do more weighted chin ups. The lifting belt I was using broke recently, but I think I might be able to use a ratchet tie down as long as it doesn't dig into my waist too much.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:58 AM   #84
Jonathan M. Guberman

Profile:

Quote:
That having been said, I do need to do more weighted chin ups. The lifting belt I was using broke recently, but I think I might be able to use a ratchet tie down as long as it doesn't dig into my waist too much.
Derek, have you tried wrapping an old towel around the tie-down to keep it from digging in? That's what worked in my set-up which uses a chain and carabiner, but I'm sure it could work for tie-downs, too.

My update on the one-arm chin: after getting my right arm a month ago, I played around with it for about a week, and was able to get up to two consecutive reps on the hangboard at my climbing gym, but still no left arm. I found it very stressful on my body, so I decided to back off and get stronger a bit before continuing my one arm attempts on either arm.

I've been doing pulley assisted one-arms, working my way up to sets of four and then reducing the assist. It's usually taken me about a week after reducing the assist to get up to four reps, but now that I'm down to really low assist weights (I'm using 4 lbs, but my system is very high friction, so it's a much higher assist) it's taking me a bit longer (this week was the first time where I didn't make it up to four reps).

To help break the plateau, I started adding in a few unassisted elements to my routine: at the top of the last rep of each assisted set I let go of the pulley and lock off at the top, and then do a slow unassisted negative, locking off when my arm is at 90 and 120 degrees. Also, I've started doing partial range unassisted reps, where I go up with two hands, lock off, let go with one arm, go down part way, and then pull back up. Going down and up from 90 degrees is pretty easy with either arm, and I'm working on extending the range. I really feel the unassisted negatives and lock-offs are helping. In particular, I can feel my left arm getting stronger in the bottom range, which is always where it's been weak.

I'm hoping that if I keep up this routine with patience and discipline that fairly soon I'll be down to no assist and able to do multiple reps on one-arm.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:06 AM   #85
Derek Maffett

Profile:

No, I hadn't thought of using a towel. Thanks!
Old 10-24-2007, 02:55 PM   #86
Daniel Carney

Profile:

I'll jump in on this. I've been wanting to get a OAP for awhile, but have not been doing anything about it lately.

Currently can do 34 MR pull-ups (goal is 50 for Eugene's Bday challenge) and my previous 1RM was with 75# hanging from my waist.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:15 PM   #87
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Welcome aboard, Daniel!

I'm doing the Birthday Challenge, too. The two seem to complement each other nicely. One thing I know is that by the end of this year, pull-ups will no longer hold me back in any workout.

Update on my progress: Might be able to make 90 degrees to the top if I give it everything I've got. Last 1RM was 78 lbs. Now working heavy chins on 3 on, 1 off and seeing good gains.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:21 PM   #88
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Righty with 10 lb assist on a low friction pulley system. Almost there!

Steven, have you tested the full chin yet?

Unrelated, but I was also able to do muscle-up singles on the rings set-up I have at home (Five feet of clearance below the rings, if that).

Last edited by Derek Maffett; 11-09-2007 at 03:25 PM..
Old 11-09-2007, 05:37 PM   #89
Steven Low

Profile:

No, I'm pretty lazy on that. I don't want to waste my energy trying when I can train, lol.

My biceps are my weak point because of my strength from cross. The assisteds actually threw me for a loop and decreased my biceps strength oddly enough so I'm back to the basics with the negatives. I think I am near the same level as back about 2 months ago which is really ****ing me off. I am going to try to get a weighted pullup max tomorrow at Judd's CF opening day and see where I'm at.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:45 PM   #90
Steven Low

Profile:

I'm now making this the unofficial 2x bodyweight pullup thread too since it's related to OAC/OAP.

Pulled a single for 110 lbs today and was about 4 inches off 115 lbs at 135 lbs bodyweight. 110 lbs is about 81% of my bodyweight so I'm back on par with what Jim said he was pulling a few weeks ago. Gotta beef it up more though!