CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-21-2007, 12:58 PM   #1
James Riley

Profile:
Crossfit Split

I've been a lurker for a while and I combine some principles of Crossfit with some other ideas from Ross Enamaitís web page.

Can someone explain to me the thought process between the Crossfit split. I believe it is METCON/ME/METCON/rest, or something like that.

So basically itís a conditioning day, a strength day, a conditioning day, and then a rest day.

Is this correct or am I missing the boat?

Thank You
Old 10-21-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Split

That's the general 4 day cycle, yes.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:48 PM   #3
Annlee Hines

Profile:

Start with this (w/f safe) - http://www.crossfit.com/journal/2006...undations.html

and then spend $5 for this (w/f safe) - CFJ Feb 2003 -

http://tinyurl.com/2b9xyq

which discusses the WoD methodology in much more detail. I found it very enlightening.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
James Riley

Profile:

Cool, thanks. I bought that journal and found it very interesting. It looks like the WODs have evolved a little since that was written. They don't apprear to follow it exaclty, but I could be wrong.

Where does the 21/15/9 split workouts come from? I've tried them a few times and they're brutal.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:06 AM   #5
Daniel Carney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Riley View Post
Can someone explain to me the thought process between the Crossfit split. I believe it is METCON/ME/METCON/rest, or something like that.
I think you're referring to the ME Black Box, which is detailed in the April 2005 and August 2005 issues of the Performance Menu.

http://www.performancemenu.com/

It has also been discussed here on the CrossFit message boards. Try this: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=2978&page=1

While your doing your research, be sure to check out the CrossFit Total article by Coach Rippetoe. It's a free download.

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/2006..._mark_rip.html

Good luck!
Old 10-24-2007, 02:00 PM   #6
James Riley

Profile:

I purchased the Crossfit Journal number 6 and found it very interesting. However, I am trying to match what I read with what I see as the current WODs.

The journal breaks down the Crossfit workout into a 12 day cycle (three 4 day routines including a rest day), The FIRST day of each cycle is the "single element day." yet when I look at the WODs for the past few weeks, the first workout after each rest day is some form of combined workout (like helen or lynne). Am I reading the journal entry wrong, or has the Crossfit method simply evolved?

P.S. On Lynne, is there rest between the Bench press and Pull-Ups, or between rounds, or is it five rounds for time?
Old 10-26-2007, 04:30 PM   #7
James Riley

Profile:

Just a bump, but I'm looking for a comment on my post above. I am confused when I read the Crossfit Journal, it lists the 12 day split as:

M-MG-MGW-rest-G-GW-GWM-Rest-W-WM-WMG-Rest

However, several WODs following rest days recently have been "multiple modality" workouts as opposed to the single modality the journal discusses.

Can someone explain this to me?

Thank You
Old 10-26-2007, 04:44 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

There have been a lot of heroes workouts recently which probably can explain that. Otherwise, honestly they just want to throw in some variation.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:05 PM   #9
David Wood

Profile:

James, one thing that Coach has always maintained is that the workout structure described in the CFJ from Feb 2003 was "a" way to build up WODs, not "the" way.

In fact, I believe there was a fair amount of discussion back at the time in which it was explicitly acknowledged that the main-page WODs did not always follow that structure.

Creating a WOD structure over time is as much art as science. The CFJ article provides a solid basis for one way to do it (where the "art" can still be in selecting the specific movements used). I suspect that asking for a specific explanation for this or that particular sequence will go unanswered.

For myself, I've honestly not worried that much about it. I do the WODs if and when I can, and enjoy the results. If I fall more than a week behind, I just skip up to the current day and dive in again. Over time, the variations even out, and I'm (mostly) continuing to improve.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:40 PM   #10
James Riley

Profile:

Ah, I see. So the methods are evolving then. What I was glad to see was that there is a method to Crossfit's madness. One of my earlier criticisms was that the workout was totally random, but I see now that I was wrong.