CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-13-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
Ron Winter

Profile:
I've been saving my money to purchase a Concept 2 rower and I was wondering if the "E" is worth the extra money in comparison to the "D". This will be my first rowing machine and I was wanting some feedback since this is a big purchase. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
Stuart Smith

Profile:
Hey Ron. I was asking myself the same question a couple weeks back. I got the impression from people that there was little functional difference between the two. I know there is a different computer screen with a couple new features, the arm that holds the screen is longer, and that the whole thing is a little higher off the ground. I did a comparison of the D and the E money wise, taking note of the cost of a PM4 screen (for the E) compared to the PM3 (which comes on the D), and the difference in cost was pretty close to the price of the PM4 screen, so I basically figured that is the main change. The new features on the PM4 screen are all over the website if u want a more detailed comparison. I personally went with a D, but that may not be your choice.

(Message edited by Thanatos on May 13, 2007)
Old 05-13-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
Ron Winter

Profile:
I appreciate the feedback Stuart. I know if I upgraded the "D" with the PM4 then I'm still about $200 away from the "E". I'm trying to be sensible with my money and $200 can easily go towards something else to outfit my gym. I appreciate your input. Are you satisfied with the "D" that you purchased??
Old 05-14-2007, 02:27 AM   #4
Stuart Smith

Profile:
Still waiting for Delivery Ron, so I am afraid I can not comment just yet. Hopefully other people will be able to give some experience based feed back. For what its worth, the things I have heard tend to indicate that it is a really good machine, but that is second or third hand information at this point.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:09 AM   #5
Ron Winter

Profile:
Does anyone here own a Model "E" or "D" ??....I know that there's not much difference between the two but I'm just curious if the "E" is worth the extra money.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:53 AM   #6
Don King

Profile:
Ron,

I recently purchased a model D. It is my understanding that the model D and E are essentially the same machine, other than the fact the model E has a 6" higher sitting position and comes standard with the PM4. The model E does weigh slightly more due to additional support brackets and has a beefier support arm for the PM4. I'm guessing that this machine is being marketed more to commercial customers than individual customers. I personally see no reason to spend the extra money for the model E, unless you have really bad knees and need the higher sitting position...but then again you would probably not be doing Crossfit if that were the case.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:47 AM   #7
Bob Holman

Profile:
Ron,

My wife got me a Model E for Christmas, she spoke directly with a sales guy at concept II, he told her to get the model D over the model E, the only real reason to buy the E would be for 1) someone who has difficulty getting into the lower model D and 2) the PM4 is designed for wireless communication with other PM4s for racing, etc. You should definitely spend a couple of minutes talking with them on the phone. I haven't regretted the choice , I just added the HR monitor cable to the machine (about $30 on their website).

Revan
Old 05-14-2007, 07:51 AM   #8
David Bennett

Profile:
Ron, unless you find some feature or quality that only the model E has that you really want (like the extra height or having the latest model is important to you), I'd go with the model D over the model E for cost reasons. I've rowed on both a D and an E. Both are great machines and well worth the money. My family physician has used a C for years and years and loves it, so consider it a durable item that will provide years of service. I bought the E for my home gym because I wanted my mom to be able to try it and thought it would be easier for her with the extra height. Plus, I like having the "latest and greatest". However, that may not have been the most money-wise decision I've ever made. A local affiliate has several D's and when I am rowing on them, I don't find myself thinking - "gosh I miss my model E." So if money is an issue, save the extra $$ and put towards other stuff in your gym.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:55 AM   #9
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
We have D's and E's at work. For a home gym, I would not spend the extra money for the E. The bluetooth connectivity for racing is nice, but worthless if you only have one. A model D with a PM3 will easily do everything you need it to as a CrossFitter. The E is a little beefier in general and higher off the ground as other people have mentioned, but model D's are built like tanks as well and do well even in commercial setting. I would save the extra money and use it for additional equipment.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:21 PM   #10
Ron Winter

Profile:
I appreciate all the feedback everyone. Is there any advantage to me getting the PM3 over the PM4 or do you think it's just a waste of money? One other thing, the PM3 doesn't have a rechargeable battery like the PM4 so does the PM3 use alot of batteries? These are my last batch of questions -- I'm ready to start rowing!