CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-10-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
Tim Newsome

Profile:
I'm just starting the Olympic lifts. I just have a cheap set of weights, no bumper plates. Because of a previous back injury, I want to take it easy and don't deadlift my light weight from the ground, but from the height that the bar would actually be above the ground in an Olympic setup. Can anybody tell me what that height is?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 05-10-2007, 04:52 PM   #2
Don Stevenson

Profile:
the centre of the bar will be 225mm (9") above the ground as the plates used in Olympic lifting are 45cm across
Old 05-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #3
Tim Newsome

Profile:
Thanks, Don. I'll find something (couple phone books?) to support my bar on each end.

Tim
Old 05-10-2007, 10:36 PM   #4
Bryan Gollhofer

Profile:
Tim,

If you have the means to do so you might consider cutting some plywood into disks the same size as weight plates. You will have little weight but at the same time the plywood plates would support the bar mimicking regular plates. Great for training and practice before you move up to regular plates or bumpers.

Grab a jigsaw, trace out a plate on the wood and cut away. I use them regularly when I am working towards form on the lifts. Good luck, and have fun.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
Tim Newsome

Profile:
That's an excellent idea, Brian. I'll swing by the hardware store this weekend to see if I can pick up an appropriate saw. (All I've got is a hacksaw now.) How thick is the plywood you use? I'd like it to support about 200lbs of weight total. Of course if I drop it the wood is going to break.

Tim
Old 05-11-2007, 09:59 AM   #6
Tom Fetter

Profile:
I made my plywood discs out of two thicknesses of 3/4" ply, screwed and glued together. Cut up an old ensolite pad from my camping equipment, and stapled 3 thicknesses on all round the edges to make them into poor man's bumper plates.

They weigh about 10 pounds each, and have been durable so far - about 3 months in. Not that I've dropped them with lots of weight. The foam tends to develop a "flat" spot where it sits, if you leave the bar loaded between workouts.

t.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:45 AM   #7
Bryan Gollhofer

Profile:
Tim,

Although it is ALWAYS nice to buy more tools, you might just consider ordering some bumper plates, then you have exactly what you are looking for. I know that Glenn Pendlay has a set of bumpers for about the price you would pay for a new jig saw at the hardware store, and you get free shipping. Check his site out, and also Jonathan Gilson's for the deals. I would invest your money there, unless you want the saw, and I couldn't blame you for that!

As for my plywood disks they are also 3/4 made out of scrap wood I had sitting around after I made my plyo-box. I use them specifically for form practice only although you can and I have seen extra weight used on the bar as well.

Good luck, go for the bumpers!
Old 05-11-2007, 01:45 PM   #8
Tim Newsome

Profile:
Heh, when I mentioned picking up an appropriate saw, I was thinking of something like this: http://tinyurl.com/338sku (w/f safe). Not a power tool of any kind. I agree that if I was going to spend that much money, I'd go for a real bar/plates instead. I hope they're in my future anyway, but I'm going to use the cheap stuff I have now until it's not heavy enough.

Sounds like 2 3/4" plywood discs on each side is the way to go.

Thanks, all
Tim
Old 05-11-2007, 02:26 PM   #9
Nick Cruz

Profile:
For my small diameter plates I use my PVC paralletes that I made. I cut them to the right height and they work perfect for empty or near empty bars. Then I can do some L-Sits on em when Im done.

There is a thread here somewhere detailing the construction of these puppies. Cheap and way durable!
Old 05-11-2007, 02:39 PM   #10
Warren D. Caldwell

Profile:
When you are ready for more weight, try Craig's List.