CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-10-2007, 11:32 AM   #1
Robert Basile

Profile:

Uneven Floor

I have a bit of a problem. I work out in my (unfinished) basement, but there's a slight but noticeable grade in the floor towards one end. You can see it just by looking at the barbell sitting on the squat rack, and it's significant enough to affect my squats, deadlifts, presses, basically everything. This is a bad thing.

Moving the rack or turning it to one side isn't really an option, because everything's basically packed into my basement. Besides, if I just turned it, I'd still be on an uneven surface, I'd just be leaning back or forward instead of to my right side (which I suppose would be a step up, but not by much). Going to the garage also won't work, because my garage shockingly has a car in it. I could always move outside, but that requires bringing the barbell and weights in and out and then cleaning it off of the floor, which doesn't really work well if I'm doing back squats, and is just generally a pain in the ***.

Does anyone know of any way I could try to fix this? I thought about just standing on a plate or a piece of wood, but my right foot would still be on a slanted surface relative to my left foot unless the bottom side matched the slant in the floor. Would this really be as much of a problem as I think it is? I also thought about putting a giant piece of plywood with the same grade on the floor under the whole workout area to make it level, but I have absolutely no idea 1) how to do that or 2) if it's even possible. Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do?
Old 09-10-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Re: Uneven Floor

Check out performancemenu.com. In one of their back issues they have instructions to build a weightlifting platform on a slanted surface, exactly the problem that you describe.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-10-2007, 12:06 PM   #3
Robert Basile

Profile:

Ah, there's another problem. My basement has rafters, so when I'm doing overhead exercises, I usually have to try to fit the plates between the rafters (not very easy) if I'm adding anything bigger than 10s to the bar. I want to avoid putting any significant amount of wood/rubber on the floor because I'll be that much closer to the ceiling.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:12 PM   #4
Chris Walls

Profile:

What about a thin layer of that self leveling cement stuff for floors.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Basile View Post
I could always move outside, but that requires bringing the barbell and weights in and out and then cleaning it off of the floor, which doesn't really work well if I'm doing back squats, and is just generally a pain in the ***.
Move the car outside instead! http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/1...onwackobz7.gif
Old 09-10-2007, 04:20 PM   #6
Scott Mahn

Profile:

I've been thinking about this myself, and in my situation I'm on a cracked, heaved, garage floor that is unlevel in more than one direction, so trying to use tapered beams (like in the performancemenu.com tutorial) would be impractical, since each beam would need to be custom tapered, sometimes in a concave fashion.

What I'm considering is building a 8x8 shallow perimeter frame to lay on the floor, perhaps of 2x3s on their side. Into this 8x8 frame I could pour sand which I could screed to level, and then lay plywood over the sand. This will become my lifting platform. More sand will naturally fall to the depressed area of the floor and less at the high points, and if I ever need to return the garage to other things I need to merely unscrew the wood and sweep out the sand.

Or so my theory goes...
Old 09-10-2007, 08:01 PM   #7
Rick Frazier

Profile:

Robert,

I'd have to agree with Patrick and say move the car outside. Sounds like the issues to use the basement are more hassle than worth to fix, whereas putting the car outside is an easy fix and from the sound of it, gives you more room without overhead restrictions.

We've embraced the idea of our garage being our dedicated gym area, which then prompted us to get additional equipment. Makes for christmas with each new purchase!

Just a thought.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:00 PM   #8
Clay Jones

Profile:

I had a lifting platform on an uneven, sloping floor once, I shimmed it with sections of 1/8" plywood and it worked fine.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #9
Robert Basile

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Frazier View Post
Robert,

I'd have to agree with Patrick and say move the car outside. Sounds like the issues to use the basement are more hassle than worth to fix, whereas putting the car outside is an easy fix and from the sound of it, gives you more room without overhead restrictions.
I wish this were possible, but unfortunately it isn't. The car in the garage is a take home vehicle that can't be left outside.

Maybe I'll try Clay's suggestion, and put a small platform with something to boost it. I guess I'll have to go outside to do overhead lifts, but at least I'll be able to squat and deadlift without leaning.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:05 PM   #10
Thomas Covington

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Mahn View Post
I've been thinking about this myself, and in my situation I'm on a cracked, heaved, garage floor that is unlevel in more than one direction, so trying to use tapered beams (like in the performancemenu.com tutorial) would be impractical, since each beam would need to be custom tapered, sometimes in a concave fashion.

What I'm considering is building a 8x8 shallow perimeter frame to lay on the floor, perhaps of 2x3s on their side. Into this 8x8 frame I could pour sand which I could screed to level, and then lay plywood over the sand. This will become my lifting platform. More sand will naturally fall to the depressed area of the floor and less at the high points, and if I ever need to return the garage to other things I need to merely unscrew the wood and sweep out the sand.

Or so my theory goes...
I am in the same situation too. I think I will try this with a vinyl lining and self-leveling concrete. Thanks for the idea.