CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-12-2006, 11:50 AM   #1
Luke Schollmeyer

Profile:
I do MMA training, so my shins take a pretty good beating from time to time both standing up and on the ground. A few weeks ago, I developed a somewhat large hematoma on my right shin, midway up the shin, right on the edge of the shin and muscle on the inside of my leg. It was the size of a small egg.

At first, I didn't think anything about it. Localized bleeding can cause swelling like that and it usually dissipates in a couple days. But it didn't, nor did it begin to discolor like a bruise normally would.

I thought that perhaps I was continuing to irritate it enough that it stayed swollen like that until I took a week off due to some obligations and it stayed just as swollen.

I got into my internal medicine doc knowing that he would probably refer me to an ortho, which he did. The appointment was supposed to be Monday.

Here's the weird thing: I went to BJJ class last night and KNEW it was there because I asked some of the other guys about similar injuries. Rolled for about 90 minutes, went home and showered and voila! Nothing. No lump, no bruising, no pain, nothing.

Do you guys think I should still get it checked out by the ortho?}
Old 04-12-2006, 12:08 PM   #2
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
I have had the exact same thing. My Thai coach took a bunch of Thai liniment and a small wooden stick and rolled out the lump. There was a bunch of bruising afterwards, but no more lump.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
Luke Schollmeyer

Profile:
I've heard stories about the liniment...

But did you have the swelling for that prolonged period of time? I ask this because it didn't act like any type of injury I had before...and I've had everything bruised, twisted, torn and broken.

I'm not a wuss, and I've always been the sort of wait-until-you-can't-sleep-because-it-hurts-so freakin'-bad to get anything checked out. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't throwing a clot into my lung or something (yes, I'm kidding).

Sounds like you have a good MT school. We're kinda Muai Thai Lite around here -- we only use it for what we can for MMA. I'd like to do more concentrated work myself.

Old 04-12-2006, 02:16 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Found this, very conventional advice:
http://www.mdadvice.com/library/sport/sport162.html

Were there any other changes in the shin (lumps, bumps, calcifications) that have remained?

I'd say if you show up to an ortho and have nothing to show him, he'll end up saying one of two things. One, you need an x-ray. You may disagree. Two, there's no problem. Your call.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:27 AM   #5
Luke Schollmeyer

Profile:
Garrett,

Thanks. I actually had found that very same page.

Here's a question: Are there situations where fascia can have soft tissue poke through it similar to how a typical abdominal hernia works?

Old 04-13-2006, 01:06 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Luke,
Yes that can happen. I either have singular fascial hernias or hidden lipomas in both of my anterior tibialis muscles. Neither of them present any future concern, so I don't worry about them. It's fun to freak people out when I jump rope and these little bumps pop out on landing and disappear in the air.

Fascial Hernia (from http://www.chiro.org/rc_schafer/mono-5.shtml)

Fascial hernias develop from contusions or small puncture wounds producing a weakness in the fascial sheath that envelops all muscles. They may also develop in weakened aponeuroses in patients with chronic compartment syndromes because of the increased pressure. Such hernias are sometimes found after injury where a muscle's nerves emerge from its fascia. Palpation then reveals a tumor-like mass when the muscle is relaxed, which may disappear when the muscle is activated. This is the opposite finding of a hidden lipoma.

Why don't I know what mine are? When I activate my anterior tibialis, the mass can't be found. If I'm standing on the balls of my feet (increased compartment pressure), they stick out (note the ant. tib. has tone in this position, I wouldn't say it is "contracted" though)--and they can be pushed right back in, no "solid" mass to speak of. There is no evidence of anything when the muscle is relaxed. I'm not concerned.

I did used to get somewhat of an anterior compartment sydrome when I walked fast for decent distances (this was at least 6 years ago). Now that I've changed both my walking and running "styles", I haven't ever had that problem again. So, it could be from that.

Guess I just felt like sharing...:happy: