CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
Meredith Simmons

Profile:
Help Training for Games 2011

Where can I find times, max lifts etc to know where a member is compared to others competing?
Also any tips on training a client (female) for games...she's strong but needs hlep w/ body weight work.
Thank you
Old 01-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Thomas Green

Profile:
Re: Help Training for Games 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith Simmons View Post
Where can I find times, max lifts etc to know where a member is compared to others competing?
Also any tips on training a client (female) for games...she's strong but needs hlep w/ body weight work.
Thank you
here you go!

w/f/s
http://scores2010.crossfit.com/scoring/2010/

Just click on the "List of Competitors" for their numbers.

What are her weak points/what particular bodyweight exercises is she lagging behind in?
Old 01-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
Meredith Simmons

Profile:

she's slow on her pull ups, can't do ring push ups...slow on her push ups etc. Probably her weakest is body weight WOD's.
Should I be focusing on strenght work outs as well as body weight skills?
I've been training for several years but she's my first competitor
Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
she's slow on her pull ups, can't do ring push ups...slow on her push ups etc. Probably her weakest is body weight WOD's.
Well you said she is strong, so assuming she is able to hit all RX weights for for the lifting movements currently, she should be able to pretty easily maintain strength while focusing training bodyweight movements. I think its pretty much a given that we will see muscle ups and HSPU at the games considering current mainsite programming, and considering that you say she has trouble with ring and standard pushups, those are likely to be weaknesses for her that she should seriously work on.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Concentrate on gymnastics strength. But make sure she knows how to kip everything. Pull-Up, Muscle Up, HeSPU... I only advocate the kipping because you never know if it would be allowed at the games and that can make up for a lack of strength, but the primary focus should be on developing pull-up, dip, and HeSPU strength.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Well you said she is strong, so assuming she is able to hit all RX weights for for the lifting movements currently, she should be able to pretty easily maintain strength while focusing training bodyweight movements. I think its pretty much a given that we will see muscle ups and HSPU at the games considering current mainsite programming, and considering that you say she has trouble with ring and standard pushups, those are likely to be weaknesses for her that she should seriously work on.
Second this. Muscle ups, HSPUs, double unders, and other "standard" Crossfit movements *will* be at the Games, the qualifiers, or both. A first goal would be to make sure that she is competent at all such movements. A second goal would be to make sure her times are in the range of past competitors on past workouts, and to bring up weaknesses as needed. And then a third goal would be to make sure she can handle the volume of three (or more) workouts in one day.

Katherine
Old 01-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #7
Meredith Simmons

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
Concentrate on gymnastics strength. But make sure she knows how to kip everything. Pull-Up, Muscle Up, HeSPU... I only advocate the kipping because you never know if it would be allowed at the games and that can make up for a lack of strength, but the primary focus should be on developing pull-up, dip, and HeSPU strength.
Thank you...that's what i've been looking at (Jeff Tuckers site)...just wasnt sure if i should still add strenght training to a couple WODS a week?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #8
Meredith Simmons

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Second this. Muscle ups, HSPUs, double unders, and other "standard" Crossfit movements *will* be at the Games, the qualifiers, or both. A first goal would be to make sure that she is competent at all such movements. A second goal would be to make sure her times are in the range of past competitors on past workouts, and to bring up weaknesses as needed. And then a third goal would be to make sure she can handle the volume of three (or more) workouts in one day.

Katherine
Got it Katherine! Thank you!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
Meredith Simmons

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post

got it thanks rebecca.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Thank you...that's what i've been looking at (Jeff Tuckers site)...just wasnt sure if i should still add strenght training to a couple WODS a week?
If you look at past winners, they're almost all doing some form of strength biased program. So to emphasize Katherine's point of building up training volume to multiple wods per day, your athlete should absolutely be able to incorporate a couple strength sessions for focused lifting on the same day as a wod a couple times a week.