CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-26-2004, 02:09 PM   #1
Davis Bates

Profile:  
Hi All,
I'm so glad to have found this site! I'm looking to start a crossfit program however, I need to start something somewhat basic as I haven't lifted in over two yrs.. I assume a program consisting of Squats, Presses,Pull-ups, ab work would be the basics..should I add more exercises? What is the frequency?? 3 days on 1 day off? is this too much? Any help would greatly be appreciated..Thanks

Davis
Old 01-26-2004, 03:18 PM   #2
David Werner

Profile:
Welcome Davis
to get the most out of Crossfit do not worry about program design for a while. You need to do the WOD to the best of your ability. Read my post in this thread.
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/24/2524.html

Download this article for an introduction.
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-download/CFJ-trial.pdf
Note: the real goal of a Crossfit workout is a neuroendocrine response, make sure you strive toward that.

Do not worry if you can't do all the excercises, hardly anyone can until they are in outstanding condition. If you have soreness or injuries or lack of equipment/facilities just work around them. Skip days only when you must, but take workouts slowly whenever you need to.

Consistency will pay off

Good Luck
Dave Werner
Crossfit North
Old 01-30-2004, 05:26 PM   #3
Davis Bates

Profile:  
thanks Dave! I really appreciate your help.. I'll be making sure that I take things slowly..
Generally speaking, What should I shoot for time wise for a workout??

Thanks again,
Davis
Old 01-30-2004, 06:59 PM   #4
Steve D.

Profile:

Davis,

Welcome to Crossfit! I found this website late last year. I'm 48, haven't worked out for a few years, and although I was inspired to start, I knew I couldn't get near to the times and loads posted by the "monsters" who post here (40 pullups???!!!). So I needed a starting routine, with minimal equipment requirements.

I found a perfect starting routine in the May 2003 CrossFit Journal. It's a 12-week program, five days a week, combines 400M runs with deadlifts, push press (on the Exercises page, click "presses"), and squats. You need shoes, bar, and plates. The early weeks were too easy for me, so I stepped it up a bit.

I think this put down a foundation so I've been able to keep up with the WOD (with a little adjustment now and then) for a few weeks now.

So I highly recommend ordering the May 2003 CrossFit Journal, if this sounds like you'd be interested in the approach.

Good luck, and hope to see you posting soon!

Old 01-31-2004, 02:22 AM   #5
Davis Bates

Profile:  
Great!! Thank you Steve D. Sounds like I'm just about where you were last year.. I really appreciate the info..I'll get the May 03 CF Journal this weekend! I'm 41, however, I've got a fair base to start with as I'd been training for the most part for the past 20 yrs..
How has your training progressed??What type of routine do you currently have? I'm very interested in "us" older people training this way..My biggest concern is frequency and recovery.. Anyway thanks again!!
Old 01-31-2004, 05:49 AM   #6
Mike Yukish

Profile:
I'm 43, and I just follow the WOD preceded by the recommended warm up. I bend over backwards to follow the WOD to the letter. It's almost a game in itself to figure out how to do that. For post-workout, I usually do something afterwards to practice technique or cool down. Maybe a run. I'm working on the handstands as per the CFJ.

I also ski 3-4 times per week as a patroller. When the snow melts I'll be climbing and trail running.

I started in slow with the WOD to avoid any injuries from ramping up too quickly. New exercises (read: the oly lifts) get a light day their first time around. That seems to have done the trick, as I haven't had any problems with frequency -vs- recovery. I do sleep well at night, and use rest days just for rest. I also am seeing gains.

I'm off to go ski...
Old 01-31-2004, 12:42 PM   #7
Steve D.

Profile:

Yes, now that I've created the foundation, I, too, just follow the WOD as closely as I can. It's great due to the variety. Boredom is never a problem. Sometimes terror is. I can see rapid improvement in running times and in the amount of weight used in the O-lifts. But maybe that's because I started out at such a low level.