CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-01-2005, 02:16 PM   #1
Eric Moffit

Profile:
after the video posted on 050930, a few people (including myself) were wondering what were some exercises to help develop a mature squat. so, i thought id start a thread to share thoughts and maybe get a word from Coach or one of the Big Dogs.

first of all, in addition to CFJ #4: Squat Clinic, i found these two threads pretty helpful:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/10520.html
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/10508.html

ive also come across several exercises to help develop a mature squat:

OH squat (as well as back and front)
OH lunges
Romanian DL
back extensions (especially on a glute-ham developer)
reverse hypers or hand/headstand presses

for the moves where your feet are on the ground, as Ben Krey points out in the latter of the two links i posted, its important to 'Keep (your) body upright and pelvis tilted anterior'. this means lumbar flexed and hamstrings and glutes engaged (lumbar flexed and engaged posterior actually applies to all the moves mentioned). your weight should be balanced on the heels, where some have mentioned wiggling toes or even placing plates underneath toes during squats to force this. also, flexibility is a major issue w/ a mature squat so be sure to work that as well.

please add any additional recommendations for developing a mature squat.

Old 10-01-2005, 03:56 PM   #2
Russ Greene

Profile:

The best thing I've ever found is facing the wall squats. Start a foot or so away from a wall, do a squat, and then after each squat move a little bit closer. When you can do squats with your toes touching or almost touching the wall, without shoes on, you will have a mature squat. If you're feeling adventurous try them with a broomstick overhead. I've found nothing better at forcing me to stay upright and on my heels and to engage my hips and hammies as much as possible.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:15 PM   #3
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I will second Russ' idea. Toes-to-the-wall OHS are the real deal. Even more fun is to do them with weight.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:22 PM   #4
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Thanks for posting
Before watching the video i figured i had a pretty good squat, after watching, and trying infront of a mirror i realise its "pre-teen" at best, with alot of growing up to to do.
Its "Ok" not alot forward lean , heals on the ground, chest raise, untill i get to quads parallel, evey thing stays the same but then the pelvis tilts and i lose the lumber flexion.

Any one have any ideas on how to combat this.
Im going to try the toes to the wall thing this morning.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:14 PM   #5
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
*blinks* Wow. I learn something new every day. I've actually taught guys squats by having them do just that, but I never thought about doing OHS.

I just tried it with my PVC pipe. Fell (actually rolled back) on my butt. But now I've got something new to work on!

Good stuff.