CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-23-2007, 11:38 PM   #1
Allen Lee

Profile:
Here is some backround. I have bee doing crossfit religiously 3 on/1 off for the last 4-5 months. During Linda ~ a month ago I felt a sharp pain in my neck/trap and decided to take a few days off just to be safe. I ended up taking about two and a half weeks off completely because of a trip(the pain went away within 3 days).
On the Saturday before the last, I decided to start up again and with a scaled WOD done nice and slow to ease myself back in. On Sunday the 13th, I did the 50/40/30/20/10 glute-ham, bacl ext, double unders(subbed tuck jumps, scaled to 42/36/24/16/8) full bore. I did the GHD situps on a large balance ball with my feet anchored. This was my first time doing GHD situps and I struggled to get through them while the back ext and tuck jumps were relatively easy. On Monday I felt soreness in my ENTIRE abdomen, same on Tuesday, but on Wednesday my abs felt INCREDIBLY sore and TIGHT. So sore that I could not stand up straight after sitting down for a few mintues. I would have to lie down flat on my back to very painfully stretch my abdomials in order to be able to stand up straight. Both standing up straight and lieing flat on my back felt were very painful on my abs. This went on for a few days and has been slowly getting better. It did not help that this occurred during graduation week and more or less every night was a drunken celebration.
Well today, a full week and a half after the inital workout, I finally felt good enough to try a L-sit, which I could do pretty easily before, and I could not get to 90 degrees. I then tried to do a sit-up and ONE regular situp was very hard. Any ideas on WTF I did to my admonial muscles and how to get back to doing xfit again?
Old 05-24-2007, 02:21 AM   #2
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Coach tells a story in one of the CFJs in a similar vein. A guy does balls out on GHD situps having never done them before. The results were worse than yours. You pretty much ripped your abs apart, maybe some localized rhabdo. Any swelling? In Coach's story the guy developed a hydrocele. The fluid/swelling from the abs drains downhill, and there is a very convenient space in the groin for extra fluid to accumulate(scrotum). I've seen up to basketball-sized personally.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:30 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:
You likely strained (slightly tore) your abdominal muscles. You should rest the area (at least don't do direct abdominal work) until the pain/discomfort is completely gone.

I think the moral of this story is, if GH situps ever get hard for someone new to them, STOP doing them or pay the consequences.

GH situps for rookies (to this particular exercise) are no joke, as you are noticing. There should be a note somewhere about this in the FAQ, IMO--not that most OCD exercise junkies will listen, but at least it will be there anyway. Stories like this one and the hydrocele do not help CF's reputation...a warning might at least prevent some of these events.

Before I got a GH bench, I always did decline situps. I never had any issues with the GH situps by progressing in this manner.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:01 AM   #4
Allen Lee

Profile:
I did notice some slight swelling starting on saturday/sunday in my left lower abdomials, but it was hardly noticable. How should I start exercising again? The pain is more or less completely gone, still feels a little sore when I stretch, but completely fine in everyday range of motion.

(Message edited by flmz on May 24, 2007)
Old 05-24-2007, 11:09 AM   #5
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Allen:

I did my first GHD sit-ups at CF San Diego during a visit several weeks ago. I did exactly 15 GHD sit-ups under the direct supervision of Lisa Lugo, trainer and owner. I spent the following two days walking like a crab! You simply overworked and strained the muscles in the abdomen and had severe DOMS.

Eeeaaassse back into ab work, and for heaven's sake scale the GHD sit-ups for awhile! I still approach any new exercise as if I'm doing one of my first CF WOD's and scale intensity and reps the first time in order to avoid your experience.

Man, I got it from 15; I can't even start to imagine how I would have felt after all the reps YOU did!
Old 05-24-2007, 03:21 PM   #6
Luke Hope

Profile:
I am still slightly sore from the GHsitups too. (I did the full 150, wish I hadn't!) I have pretty strong abs, but this really killed me.

Personally, I'm going to be extra careful to scale bodyweight exercises like I do weighted ones and see how things go from there. It's a lesson learned for me. I really didn't like having to miss out on my martial arts training!

-Luke
Old 05-24-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
James Falkner

Profile:
Doing 20 GHD situps was my intro to CF. Up till then I thought I was bad *ss because I could do 100 crunches. Needless to say, the GHD situps were an eye opener. A GHD was the first piece of "real" equipment I added to my garage gym!
Old 05-25-2007, 08:37 PM   #8
James Goodell

Profile:
Add me to the list of people who were humbled by the GHD situp and had a sore midsection for weeks. I had eased my way into them, but jumped from 50% scaling of situps in the WOD to doing all 100%. Big mistake. I thought I was at a point where I could handle the full load - WRONG! I recommend starting them by doing 10% (if the WOD calls for 150 total, do 15) until there is no DOMS, then 20%, then 30%, all the way up the line (and don't just pop from 50% to 100% like I did). You can always add in some of whatever you were doing for abs (flat situps, KTE, L-sits, hollow rocks, etc) before you started doing GHD situps until you get yourself up to speed. This exercise seems to humble fit people who are inexperienced with it more than any other CF standard exercise. Hopefully some newbie will search on "GHD", "situp", and "scaling" and read this thread and save themselves some misery. As Dr G said, a note in the FAQ would be ideal, but I doubt people would heed the warning.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:35 PM   #9
John McBrien

Profile:
I've experienced a similar situation with the GHS informing me of how difficult it really is. My left hip flexor is very tight and sore - it took the brunt of the punishment.

When I first did the GHS I had back pain and then it went away. I did the CFWU today and the sharp pain as I extended back had returned. Would this be from being sore/injured as a result of too much too soon? My abs didn't feel anything today because I was cautious to extend all the way to the floor. I also found that weird - they weren't killing me! Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:52 PM   #10
Becca Borawski

Profile:
I seriously thought I had appendicitis for three days, once. Turned out it was just g/h situps. :crazy: