CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-14-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
James Compora

Profile:
Form Check - Hang Power Clean

It was my first time doing this exercise so if its sloppy thats why. I felt like i did it right when i was doing it but after watching the video im not sure. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng0XaHi6L4M

I i tried to embed but it wasnt workin lol
Old 04-14-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Re: Form Check - Hang Power Clean

James,

Just a couple things. This thread will probably be moved and in future, post videos for critiques under Digital Coaching.

The angle of the camera wasn't the best, but I thought I observed three things. First, you dip forward at the hips instead of keeping your torso erect, and it looks like you actually start your drive from this compromised position. Second, it looks like your arms bend on the dip, possibly because the bar is hanging up on your thighs in the dip. Those arms should remain straight until you hit full leg and hip extension. I noticed also, I think, that your elbows ended too low. You really need to whip those elbows up such that they are pointing forward more than down.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Scott Allen Hanson : 04-14-2008 at 02:39 PM. Reason: something else
Old 04-14-2008, 04:28 PM   #3
Jason Staples

Profile:

The biggest thing is that it looks like you're involving way too much upper body in the whole process. As Scott mentioned, your arms are bending prior to/during the pull, which is a clear indicator of trying to "muscle" the bar up to the catch position.

Your upper body should be extremely relaxed, with the only real upper body involvement being the shrugging of the shoulders on the pull. Your biceps and shoulders should have virtually no role in the lift. Keeping your elbows straight (meaning your arms are totally relaxed, letting the weight pull them down) illustrates you're getting this right.

Scott is also correct in that your back is bowing on the dip (which is also way too long in terms of time; it should be a quick movement). You should bend only from the hips (and only a bit), not from the waist. Your back should remain erect (it'll even look a little curved backwards) rather than bending forwards.

Your catch is indeed too low -- it should be caught on the shoulders, not in the hands (the hands are on the bar, yes, but the weight falls on the shoulders, pushing the elbows up at the catch).

Honestly, it looks like you're doing more weight than you should until your form is a bit better -- you're muscling it because you haven't learned the feeling of letting the bar truly go weightless as the result of a really explosive pull. Drop a little bit until you feel like you're not using your upper body at all -- then you'll be able to increase your weight rapidly.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Agreed with what Scott said, mostly.

Your dip is coming more from your knees than from thrusting your hips backward. As a result, your pull is coming more from knees/legs than from your hips, where there would be more power generated.

Try to either get some better lighting from that angle, or moving the camera over towards the water heater area in front and to the side of you.

Also mind the bending of the arms, like Scott said. THis is also a result of your starting dip in the beginning, but remember that once you get them straight, keep them straight until triple extension and then dip underneath the bar again.

There should be minimal pulling from the arms. Someone once said to think of them like ropes attached to the bar.

All in all, a good start -- maybe film a few more reps next time. Leaps and bounds better than my HPC
Old 04-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
James Compora

Profile:

Thanks a lot everyone. Yeah I felt like i was doing it right so i was still upping the weight. I have a 5lb bar for standard weights I'll start working on the form for next time. Next time it comes around ill post a video again. Thanks everyone