CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #41
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:
Re: My Midlife Crisis

Thank you for the encouragement and input. I have tried to up my intake of protein to accommodate the increased wear and tear on my muscles. I notice I'm like a newborn baby: I get hungry and have to be fed every two hours.

My beautiful new Olympic weightlifting set finally arrived. I was so excited I felt like a little kid on Christmas morning. I unwrapped them and went right to work. I have never, in all the gyms I have been in, seen such a well-manufactured and professional-looking set of weights. (I bought them from MuscleDriver, and it is their 20kg HD bar with a set of Econ bumpers, for those who are interested.) These babies are going to be my new best friends. I am astonished by the number, variety, and effectiveness of the exercises than can be done with such a simple weight set.

As for the workout I did today:

At first I attempted the Bear Complex at 115 lbs. Uh, let's just say it didn't work out and leave it at that.

Then I went for tomorrow's WOD:

Clean one rep every minute on the minute for 15 minutes.

I used 165 lbs, because I was concerned about not finishing the workout. I did finish it as Rx'd. The first few reps seemed laughably easy, but got progressively harder. I noticed that every rep I pulled the weight very high, with no leg drop.

I could probably add 50 lbs to my clean if I could get under the bar. In the Bear Complex, I noticed my front squat was a real weakness compared to the other lifts. I need to work on that exercise.

I will be back in Ridgecrest at my branch office for the next couple of days, so I will be away from my beloved home gym. Even though tomorrow would be a rest day for me on my routine (3 on, 1 off), I feel pretty good, at least at this point. I will try to hit the gym tomorrow if I am able.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #42
Kevin Simons

Profile:

Dude that is awesome about your weight set! It will be one of the best investments you have ever made. I got the exact same set. Then I went to Wal-Mart and picked up some red, blue, yellow and green duct tape for the circumference of the plates. Instantly color coded for the different denominations and you just saved a few hundred bucks.

And yeah that Bear Complex is something else! I did it last week and then they just had to post a video the very next day of Rob Orlando doing it (slightly) modified in half my time haha. It's a killer though. Go with less weight some time and try it again. It really is a great workout. Especially if you enact the burpee penalty!

I just can't tell you how fantastic I think it is that you are jumping headfirst into this lifestyle! The benefits just get better and better as you go. Way to be brother!
m 23 5'7" 192 lbs. Angie 9:13, Grace @ 225lbs 4:15, Elizabeth 3:40, Fran 2:09, King Kong 2:11, Back Squat 505, Deadlift 505, Press 235, C+J 325, Snatch 255. Log | YouTube
Old 04-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #43
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I was so inspired by my new weight set I did a second workout tonight. I did 3 sets of ten reps of front squats at 115 lbs. Since that is a weakness, I figured I might as well address it.

I hope I can recover fast enough to do twice-daily workouts and some light training on my "rest days". I want to be the next Kevin Simons.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #44
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I have noticed two unexpected effects of my new training habits:

One, the briefcase I carry around all day, crammed with thick files, has gotten lighter. It used to be soooo heavy. My arm hurt as I struggled to carry that cannonball from courtroom to courtroom. It used to bend me over sideways at the end of a long day of lugging it around. Strange, it seems so much lighter now, even totally full. I can lift it up on my desk with ease.

Also, I don't need to drink like I used to. Could it be that the new stress relief has helped? Or perhaps the feeling of personal improvement has contributed to an enhanced sense of well-being?

Tomorrow's workout will be to try for the five rounds of two minute sprints with one minute rests again. I bonked on that one last time I was at the park in Ridgecrest on the fourth round, so maybe the second time is a charm.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:50 AM   #45
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Ben,

Congratulations on getting your bumper set. I should probably spring for a set to keep here at the house for when I cannot make it to the affiliate.

You are a beast! First off, to try the bear complex with 115# on a "first go" at that WOD is nothing short of amazing in itself. I have yet to even attempt it (though I should), simply because my technique in a couple of the lifts is so poor.

Cleans at 165# are pretty amazing also.

BTW, if you have time while you are in Ridgecrest, check out the affiliate in California City (CrossFit California City). Here is a link to their site (wfs): http://www.crossfitcaliforniacity.com/
The owner, Bob Guere, is a great guy and loves CF as much as anyone I know.

Take care and keep up the great work!
Old 04-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #46
Kevin Simons

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Greene View Post
I hope I can recover fast enough to do twice-daily workouts and some light training on my "rest days". I want to be the next Kevin Simons.
And the compliment of the year award goes to... Benjamin Greene! Haha, thanks man that made my morning. Keep in mind though that I have been training for years and have spent some time developing my work capacity. At this stage in your training, I would be most concerned with the intensity you are able to put into each WOD. If you find that you are able to add in some supplementary work and still go all out in your workouts, then go for it. Just remember that recovery is key. If you look through my log, you'll see that I routinely take unscheduled rest days or days of active recovery when I feel I need it. Likewise I'll push myself extra hard when I am feeling on top of my game. Listen to your body and you'll be in great shape.
m 23 5'7" 192 lbs. Angie 9:13, Grace @ 225lbs 4:15, Elizabeth 3:40, Fran 2:09, King Kong 2:11, Back Squat 505, Deadlift 505, Press 235, C+J 325, Snatch 255. Log | YouTube
Old 04-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #47
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

Hey guys, thanks for the pointers. I will check out the Cal City Cross fit while I'm in the area. California City is pretty small, so if they have a cross fit affiliate, it really shows how much the concept has penetrated to even small towns. There is a pretty big military presence in the area, and there really aren't a whole lot of positive things to do out there other than work out, so the market definitely exists.

As for the overtraining issue, I would agree that stepping up my workouts too fast is definitely something to avoid. I don't want to injure myself and, ahem, miss four months. Thankfully, goofing off and skipping workouts has never been much of a challenge for me, and I used to have the belly to prove it. So I'm not too worried. I do try to listen to my body.

Just as a story, I was once being trained by a personal trainer who just forced me into the most over the top workouts imaginable, on a schedule that was way too frequent. The experience started to resemble a Russian prisoner in the gulag being worked to death mercilessly. I kept telling the guy that I was in constant pain both inside and outside the gym. I finally got so sore that I could barely walk. Ultimately, I quit before something permanent happened. It just goes to show that some trainers have no common sense, and sticking to some rigid schedule without regard for your body's feedback is a recipe for disaster.

For all those who have offered me support on this site, a big thank you! The Cross Fit experience has all the positive benefits (encouragement, pointers, accountability, advice) of having a personal trainer without the downsides. I used to spend $1000 a month on "executive" personal training. I also used to have a surly, ignorant personal trainer at a big box gym who slept through almost every appointment we had. His idea of a workout was spotting me while I bench pressed. Cross Fit offers the best of the training experience without the negatives.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #48
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

Since today was a rest day and I felt pretty well, I decided to make it an active rest day and work on the skills that bedevil me. So, I strung together a few single reps of double-unders and I was able to do two assisted ring dips, with my feet on a bench. Both of those were improvements. When I started three weeks ago, I couldn't do double-unders at all or do assisted dips at all.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #49
Kevin Simons

Profile:

Nice work man! Those are the perfect kind of things to do on rest days. Skill work that won't tire you out too much and still let you recover. I suggest practicing some handstands and basic gymnastics stuff like forward rolls and cartwheels once in a while too. That kind of coordination will help in all of your other movements, is fun, and not terribly hard on your body. And thanks for reminding me, I gotta get working on those double-unders myself. Keep it up!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:55 PM   #50
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

See, I'm getting the idea.