CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 04-16-2010, 12:54 AM   #31
Scott Ewan

Profile:
Re: My Midlife Crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Greene View Post
Also, to my delight, my fifteen year old daughter, Erica, has expressed an interest in starting CrossFit workouts.

Nice one !!
I wish I could engender that interest from my boys!
I've managed to get the oldest (13 years old) to try a few "park" workouts and some Oly progressions but his interest comes and goes (mostly goes ).
If you have any more success with your kids, share it with us - it's bound to help.

btw You clearly need no more encouragement for yourself - I can see you're hooked ... seriously though - you're doing great - getting stronger and taking on some of the scariest WODs.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:58 AM   #32
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

Yes, my name is Ben, and I'm a workout addict. I have been abstinent from working out for 30 hours...

Yes, finally an addiction that I can talk about in public without people giving me funny looks.

It has been a great way to deal with my high-stress job. "I'm strong enough, I'm fast enough, and by golly, people like me..."
Old 04-17-2010, 12:03 AM   #33
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

Well, worked a full day with all kinds of crazy stress, then helped my wife drive her daughter to visitation. A nice 12 hour day, with no time for workouts.

Momma said there would be days like these. This is the second two day break this week. I need to step my game up.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #34
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I just tried to do the Muscle Up on the rings. Very discouraging. I couldn't even begin to do a dip on the rings, no matter how much I cheated. Sigh.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #35
Kevin Simons

Profile:

Rings are tough dude. There aren't many other situations where one moves in a frictionless plane. But it is certainly worth the effort to learn. Here is a quote from an interesting conversation in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
If you can do handstands, dips, push-ups on the rings it will make the same exercise on stable ground easier. THIS IS NOT BECAUSE RINGS ARE UNSTABLE!!! Rings are inherently stable actually. What Rings ARE is a frictionless plane. This means that any amount of force directed anywhere but straight down causes the rings to move.

The reason Rings are so effective is because they force you to train your body to ONLY direct force the direction you need it to go. You must control your body and not allow any extraneous effort in other directions. When a person does a normal push-up they are not just pushing down against the ground, they are wasting energy pushing in several different directions without really knowing it. You take that same person and put them on the rings for push-ups and they will have a hard time controlling the rings. Once they do get control though, and get comfortable doing push-ups on the rings they will have better control of their body and will be able to better direct their pushing force in ONLY the direction they want it to go, down. Now take them back to the ground and push-ups will be easier BECAUSE they are no longer wasting energy. All their energy expended goes to pushing straight down against the ground.
Work up to it. Practice holding yourself in a support above the rings and see how long you can go. Lower them and work on push-ups and body rows. Put your feet up on a box or high chair and see if you can do dips that way. Just play around. The more time you spend on the rings the more comfortable you will become on them.
m 23 5'7" 192 lbs. Angie 9:13, Grace @ 225lbs 4:15, Elizabeth 3:40, Fran 2:09, King Kong 2:11, Back Squat 505, Deadlift 505, Press 235, C+J 325, Snatch 255. Log | YouTube
Old 04-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #36
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

Good suggestions. I will put them into practice tomorrow.

I am still assembling the equipment for my home gym, and still conditioning my body for the CrossFit workouts, so I still substitute my own made up workouts with the equipment I do have.

Today, I did pullups on the rings: 6 (PR), 2, 1

Then 3 minutes doing alternating one arm swings to face level with a 35 lb kettlebell. It was by far a personal record, since previously despite hard effort I could only get to 2 minutes. Big difference.

Then I did two 3 minute rounds using fists on the heavy bag. Then I finished up with about 40 seconds of Farmer's Walk using two 50 lb. dumbbells.

Right after I finished my workout, I laid down on the couch and went to sleep. I guess I can't ask anything more from myself than a workout to sheer exhaustion.

I like my new hobby. It is a much healthier stress reliever than drinking until unconsciousness, my previous hobby.

My garage gym is really coming along. By the time all the equipment I ordered arrives, I will be able to do lots of exercises in the privacy and convenience of my own home. Even though I tried to keep it basic, the total cost of what I bought this week was about $2300. ($800 for flooring, $1500 for Olympic weights and accoutrements.) If someday I just go back to lifting vodka shots, my wonderful garage gym will stare at me and remind me of my commitment to fitness. Believe it or not, I had to stop myself from buying even more stuff. My wife was like, "Next month, Ben. Take it easy..." By the end of the year, my garage gym will be as well equipped as any affiliate anywhere, at least for one person. And I will have no excuse not to be in Navy Seal shape.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #37
Dustin Standel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Greene View Post
Good suggestions. I will put them into practice tomorrow.

I am still assembling the equipment for my home gym, and still conditioning my body for the CrossFit workouts, so I still substitute my own made up workouts with the equipment I do have.

Today, I did pullups on the rings: 6 (PR), 2, 1

Then 3 minutes doing alternating one arm swings to face level with a 35 lb kettlebell. It was by far a personal record, since previously despite hard effort I could only get to 2 minutes. Big difference.

Then I did two 3 minute rounds using fists on the heavy bag. Then I finished up with about 40 seconds of Farmer's Walk using two 50 lb. dumbbells.

Right after I finished my workout, I laid down on the couch and went to sleep. I guess I can't ask anything more from myself than a workout to sheer exhaustion.

I like my new hobby. It is a much healthier stress reliever than drinking until unconsciousness, my previous hobby.

My garage gym is really coming along. By the time all the equipment I ordered arrives, I will be able to do lots of exercises in the privacy and convenience of my own home. Even though I tried to keep it basic, the total cost of what I bought this week was about $2300. ($800 for flooring, $1500 for Olympic weights and accoutrements.) If someday I just go back to lifting vodka shots, my wonderful garage gym will stare at me and remind me of my commitment to fitness. Believe it or not, I had to stop myself from buying even more stuff. My wife was like, "Next month, Ben. Take it easy..." By the end of the year, my garage gym will be as well equipped as any affiliate anywhere, at least for one person. And I will have no excuse not to be in Navy Seal shape.
Wow...Balls to the Wall into the new lifestyle...

Best of luck to you in your efforts to improve your life and your families.
My Workout Log Box Jump-36"; Deadlift-335; Clean and Jerk-150; Split Jerk-155; Weighted Pullup-20; Squat-245; Press-140; Bench-210; 3RM Thruster-145; DT 22:43 (105#)
Old 04-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #38
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

Thank you very much. The blessing and the curse of my personality is that I go into things all the way or not at all. My wife calls me an "extremist" in everything I choose to do, whether it be business, my family, or whatever. It's hard to argue with that when we are having our seventh child.

I prefer to think of myself as committed to excellence. Anything I choose to do, I want to be as successful as I can be at it. I think it's important for me to remember that it takes time to go from the couch to the CrossFit regionals and my body and psychology need to adjust at their own speed. I hope next year to at least attend the Sectionals as a competitor.

I have to say I am getting a lot of positive emotional feedback from my increased feelings of self-esteem from doing these workouts. I used to just relax all weekend and then wonder Sunday night if I had really accomplished anything worthwhile. Well, now I have accomplishments I can celebrate every day.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #39
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

As promised, today was a day to focus on the rings, an area I have tremendous challenges in.

I started with a half mile run in 3:29.

Then three rounds of 10 ring pushups followed by 5 second holds in starting dip position with feet up on a bench. Believe it or not, despite my 245 lb bench press, that was the best I could do on the rings. Those are instant humility.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:08 AM   #40
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Hi Ben,

I wanted to stop by and visit your log (love the title). Welcome to CrossFit....you have obviously "tasted the Kool Aid". I tend to be what my wife calls "obsessive" in terms of my devotion to CF, but it does that to you. I can honestly say that before my 4 month hiatus at the end of last year, I was easily in the best shape of my life, even though I have been pretty active and fit most of my years. I getting back into it, though.

You are really doing a great job with your workouts. Your CFT for someone with such a relatively "short" CF workout history is awesome. Obviously the lifting and pretty solid fitness background helps. But don't be afraid to scale the workouts to your ability. "Linda", as Kevin said, is a b**** and one of the most difficult CF workouts. It's also called "the Three Bars of Death" for good reason. I haven't even attempted it yet in my year and a half of CF, in that my form for cleans is awful, but I am working on it. There is simply no reason that I have not tried it scaled to my ability.

Also, be certain you are taking in enough food (primarily protein) to support your workouts. You are hitting it pretty hard and for a guy your size, with less than 20% body fat, you should probably be taking in 23 blocks of protein a day (each block being 7 grams), with your total equaling about 160 grams or so (1 gram per pound of lean body weight).

Best wishes on your trek down the CF road!