CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-03-2012, 06:06 AM   #11
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: Battle of the Bird Chest

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Witherspoon View Post
To be candid with you, I don't know. Sounds like I got some work to do. I feel like a kid who didn't bring in his homework...
ok, then what is your age, height, weight, and body fat percentage?

and if you are going to a box and don't know your max lift, then i would suggest you know to discuss that with your coaches and find out as soon as possible. have them put you through a CFT one day and then an olypic total a few days later. these are things you need to know.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Witherspoon View Post
Starting off I couldn't Rx men's kettlebell at 53lbs, now I can. I no longer have to use bands for pull-ups. For push press I started with 75lbs for high rep WODs. Now I can confidently get through high reps at 105. In general, I'd say when I started I could usually Rx female weight for all the upper body lifts you see in the arsenal. I'm currently in between female and male.
It sounds like you ARE getting stronger, but probably not as efficiently as you could be. Like the others, I believe that after 3mo of being at a box, if you don't know your 1, 3 or 5 rep maxes you're not getting enough dedicated strength work if your goal is to get strong.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
James Witherspoon

Profile:

First of all, I really appreciate everyone's time and feedback. This alone has taught me a lot.

I'm 6'4, 175lbs and about 13% body fat.

Judging from you guys help, I'm focus on finding those numbers and go from there. I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #14
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I think we found the problem.......

Your 5" taller then me and 15 pounds lighter then me. We have the same body fat.

What CrossFit affiliate are you attending? We need to go to their website and see what they are programming. If they lean heavily towards met-cons then this is not the programing you need.

This is not an attack on your coaches. 90% of the people coming into CrossFit start from a different point then you. They want to lose weight.

The usual pattern is to do CrossFit, correct diet, drop a lot of body fat, be happy with your results, then get interested in better performance, then get interested in strength training.

Your coaches may be totally happy to help you focus on strength and weight gain for awhile. I work with a 19 year old kid who is under weight to go into the Air Force. He has a different set of instruction then my average member. If you like your box then usually you can work something out. You will lift heavy more often, eat a lot of clean food, keep the met-cons short and no more then 3 a week.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #15
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

^ this.

eat more. lift heavy things. gain alot of muscle.