CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-14-2010, 05:17 AM   #1
Yotam Wei

Profile:
How to warm up for max weight olympic lift

I know I am "Wasting" energy by doing too many sets/reps in my warm up.

How many reps and sets are recommended?

Eg, lets say you are going for an attempt at 3 reps of 200 pound deadlift, and your previous 3-rep-max is 195.

I know you start with the "the cross fit warm up".

then what?
currently I do something like:
10 reps with a wooden dowel/air
10 reps with 40 pounds
5 reps with 80 pounds
3 reps 130 pounds
3 reps 160 pounds
3 reps 180 pounds
3 reps 190 pounds
3 reps 200 pounds

Am I being too cautious? Exhausting myself on my warm up? What is the recommended progression for a warm up?
Old 12-14-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
Meghan Reid

Profile:
Re: How to warm up for max weight olympic lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotam Wei View Post
I know I am "Wasting" energy by doing too many sets/reps in my warm up.

How many reps and sets are recommended?

Eg, lets say you are going for an attempt at 3 reps of 200 pound deadlift, and your previous 3-rep-max is 195.

I know you start with the "the cross fit warm up".

then what?
currently I do something like:
10 reps with a wooden dowel/air
10 reps with 40 pounds
5 reps with 80 pounds
3 reps 130 pounds
3 reps 160 pounds
3 reps 180 pounds
3 reps 190 pounds
3 reps 200 pounds

Am I being too cautious? Exhausting myself on my warm up? What is the recommended progression for a warm up?
I don't think you need to do the full crossfit warm up, especially on a strength day. Just do something to get your blood moving and your muscles loose. We usually stretch out then do something related to the strength exercise of the day to wake up the CNS. So, to continue with deadlifts (which, just FYI, aren't technically an olympic lift), we'll start with 4-5 sets of 3 broad jumps.

If you're deadlifting 200x3, you're definitely wasting your time with PVC. I lift just a little more than you and I usually start with 50% of my 1RM max on the bar. If you feel like you need to work on form, that should be plenty light. You need weight on the bar to gauge your form. My progression, on a good day, usually goes:

105, 135, 155, 175, 195, 215, 225
Old 12-14-2010, 06:35 AM   #3
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Dude, you are killing yourself for no reason. And, yeah, like Meghan said, a deadlift is not an Olympic lift. Olympic lift = snatch, clean and jerk.

Are you going for a new 3RM, or are you doing 3-3-3-3-3?

If I was going for a 3RM at 200 lbs, I would personally do something like:
5 x 95 lbs
3 x 135 lbs
2 x 155 lbs
1 x 170 lbs
1 x 185 lbs
3 x 200 lbs
Old 12-14-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
Greg Kemp

Profile:

I am a HS football coach and have done strength and conditioning for our players for 16 years. The standard we use is Burgener warm up (we do it everyday) and on a Max day we go 70% x 3, 80% x 1, 90% x 1, New Max attempt. We don't waste any extra energy on warm ups, just enough to get the body adapted to more weight each rep. If a kid misses his max attempt we give them 3 attempts to get it and then they are done for the day.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:26 AM   #5
Yotam Wei

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Dude, you are killing yourself for no reason. And, yeah, like Meghan said, a deadlift is not an Olympic lift. Olympic lift = snatch, clean and jerk.

Are you going for a new 3RM, or are you doing 3-3-3-3-3?

If I was going for a 3RM at 200 lbs, I would personally do something like:
5 x 95 lbs
3 x 135 lbs
2 x 155 lbs
1 x 170 lbs
1 x 185 lbs
3 x 200 lbs

Thanks everyone for the advice.

One q: i thought doing 3-3-3-3-3 was intended to find your new 3RM?
Old 12-27-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Quote:

Nope. Doing 3-3-3-3-3 is just doing 5 heavy sets of 3. If you happen to get a new 3RM, that's great.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:

It can be, but doesn't have to be depending on how you feel that day. If you are feeling like you can set a new 3RM, you'll be better off going for it in the 3rd or 4th set rather than the 5th, because if you've already pulled 12 relatively heavy deadlifts you'll probably be too smoked to PR on the 5th set.

Then again it all depends how you approach it: going 300x3x5 (sets across) creates a far different stress than going 250x3, 270x3, 290x3, 310x3, 320x3.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:34 AM   #8
Yotam Wei

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post

Then again it all depends how you approach it: going 300x3x5 (sets across) creates a far different stress than going 250x3, 270x3, 290x3, 310x3, 320x3.
Eric, which approach do you recommend? My goal is GPP, and I am focussing on getting the weights of my lifts up because that is my weakness.

Eric, I would also love to hear your thoughts on my original question (first post), am i doing too much in my warm up?
Old 12-28-2010, 04:26 AM   #9
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Eric, which approach do you recommend? My goal is GPP, and I am focussing on getting the weights of my lifts up because that is my weakness.

Eric, I would also love to hear your thoughts on my original question (first post), am i doing too much in my warm up?
Pick a dedicated strength program. Do it. GPP is not a goal. A 300 lb squat is.

If you were aiming to find a new 3RM, then you did too much in your warm up. If you were aiming to do 3-3-3-3-3, then you did one of the many possibilities for that WOD.

Just go do Justin's S&CP http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=62078 (WFS). Don't be the guy who spends the next several weeks contributing to a thread where we once again debate whether you should do SS or CFSB or CFFB or Gant's Hybrid or whatever. Each day you spend talking about it is another day that you are not getting any stronger. See barbell. Lift barbell. 3-2-1-Go.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:42 AM   #10
Yotam Wei

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Pick a dedicated strength program. Do it. GPP is not a goal. A 300 lb squat is.

If you were aiming to find a new 3RM, then you did too much in your warm up. If you were aiming to do 3-3-3-3-3, then you did one of the many possibilities for that WOD.

Just go do Justin's S&CP http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=62078 (WFS). Don't be the guy who spends the next several weeks contributing to a thread where we once again debate whether you should do SS or CFSB or CFFB or Gant's Hybrid or whatever. Each day you spend talking about it is another day that you are not getting any stronger. See barbell. Lift barbell. 3-2-1-Go.

Thanks Tamara. Well put.
6 weeks ago I read cfsb journal article. I am following (my understanding of) their "notes for beginners": doing each of their recommended lifts as part of my warm up (1 each time!), trying to hit a new 3rm each time, followed by a WOD. I have added 10-20 kg to each of my lifts. My aim Is to get to lifting my body weight.

How does that work? My plan is, once I stop seeing gains, to follow cfsb closely: I don't think I am ready yet, they clearly say that cfsb is not for beginners.

The point of this thread was that I was worried i was being too cautious and taking too long in my warm up. But now that you raised it, I'm wandering what you think of my overall plan?

By the way, looking at your last name, I assume that you are of the faith? Someone really should start up CF4J (cross fit for Jews). Only join if you have the (matzah) balls.