CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
Caitlin McDonald

Profile:
squishy lady starting xfit

Hey everyone, I'm new to crossfit, and luckily an affiliate just opened way up here in Bismarck, ND. I am about 60 lbs over weight, and my cardio endurance is pretty pathetic. I'd like to hear from people who started xfit as non-athlete outta-shapes like me. Sometimes it seems like a lot of what I read here is from people who started xfit after already building up some fitness. I'm not discouraged but sometimes I feel out of my league!
Old 06-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
Camille Lore

Profile:  
Re: squishy lady starting xfit

Does about 40 lbs overweight count? I did martial arts once a week, but I was severely out of shape. I started with the buttercup level of the BrandX workouts www.crossfitbrandx.com (WFS)
The workouts for each day are here: http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index..../viewforum/16/ (WFS)

Start at buttercup and do what you can. Also, nutrition is key. Try not to eat junk and if you're feeling adventurous, check out the Zone and Paleo ways of eating.

Good luck!
Old 06-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #3
Jerry Maestas

Profile:

If an affiliate just opened up then the best thing is to go there and have them scale the workouts for you so that you can progress into the full program. I was living in Cheyenne, WY. and there was no affiliate there, so I worked my way up for 5 months before jumping in to crossfit. The affiliate should be able to help you out a lot and you will grow by leaps and bounds! Welcome!

P.S. I was 35 lbs heavier when I started and had a 38" waist. I am down to a 29" waist now. The hard work does pay off!
Old 06-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
Jennie Yundt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin McDonald View Post
I'm not discouraged but sometimes I feel out of my league!
Your title made me giggle! I was a bit squishy myself about 5 short months ago. I have lost 20lbs, and have gone from a size 12 to a size 6!

This is a GREAT community of people with the same goal. The CrossFit community is better than any weekly meeting you could attend! You'll quickly learn that people will help in any way they can to help you reach your goals.

Start slow; remember Rome wasn't built in a day. This program works! It really really works, but it all starts with diet. If you want results quickly(or quicker I should say), you're going to have to make changes to your diet. It's as simple as that. GOOD LUCK!
Old 06-17-2008, 02:52 PM   #5
David Miller

Profile:

Scaled workouts. Zone/Paleo Diet. Lots of rest. Extreme Intensity.

Good Luck and
Old 06-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
Shane Rapp

Profile:

Don't feel out of your league. Just scale the workouts to start, build gradually, and do the best you can.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Read the FAQ, "What is CrossFit", and "Getting Started" (not to mention 90% of the threads posted here), and you'll see very quickly that you're not out of your league.

Check out the "Where's the Girl Power" thread for some motivation. No reason for you to be discouraged. Intimidated, on the other hand... Anyone who doesn't find the WODs intimidating has a screw loose.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #8
Caitlin McDonald

Profile:

Wow, talk about an outpouring! Thanks for your suggestions and support. What is the difference between brandx and regular crossfit?
Old 06-17-2008, 05:45 PM   #9
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

They post scaled daily WODs in their forums. Just saves you some brainpower having to figure out a good scaling for yourself.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:45 PM   #10
Geoff Sallee

Profile:

Brand-X Martial Arts is a Crossfit affiliate, and they post scaled versions of the WOD each day on their forums. So it's the same WOD, just scaled down for those who can't do the WOD as prescribed yet (and I would recommend following scaled WODs for at least 2 months to build up your body without injury).