CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-09-2007, 11:47 AM   #11
Andres Diaz

Profile:
He just doesn't understand he CAN be a WOW heroe, not in the virtual world but in the real one.

In fact, i was some kind of that. My delusion was i was "fit", i really believed that, i thought "i'm lean, i can run fairly well, bla bla bla", i just didn't know what fitness really is apart from those stupid magazines and mass media, now i have a crossfit definition and i agree with it. The curious thing is most of those people are very learned, they just haven't received the right information, parents, school and this rotten society are also to blame.

Now i'm learning traditional archery, combat skills and want to learn javeline throwing and shield and sword combat just like a "300" Spartan. I don't need the game anymore, at least not RPGs, cuz i am becoming my ideal in the real world.

You could start by asking him what he thinks fitness is, he will answer some "Cult of the East" bs like "is the point were the body is balanced" or "let's everybody live toegether in happiness", then explain him he is wrong, and show him a clip of some elite CFer.

Knowing you suck is the first step to change.

(Message edited by epsa on June 09, 2007)
Old 06-09-2007, 12:23 PM   #12
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Re: Howard
His workout for today was:
3 rounds: 10 push-ups, 20 sit-ups, 30 squats
I made sure he knew what the proper form was. However, after one round he said he was already sweating and feeling whipped, and would have to do the other two later today. It's a start, right?

He isn't fat, just out of shape.
(11:29:37 AM) Chuck: So Like
(11:29:41 AM) Chuck: Why Am I Not Fat Yet
(11:29:48 AM) Pat: I have no idea.
(11:29:51 AM) Chuck: I Drink SO Much **** Soda And Eat So Much Tacobell
(11:29:55 AM) Chuck: And Like A Month Ago I Got A Bloodtest
(11:30:03 AM) Chuck: They Said I Was One Of THe Healthiest People That Ever Came In
(11:30:07 AM) Pat: XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
(11:30:09 AM) Chuck: I Know
(11:30:14 AM) Chuck: They Said I Literally Have "Super Blood"
(11:30:22 AM) Chuck: And I'm The "Embodiment Of Phyiscal Fitness"
(11:30:24 AM) Pat: XDDDD What the ******* ****?
(11:30:27 AM) Chuck: Which I LoL'd At SO Hard
(11:30:31 AM) Pat: XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
(11:30:36 AM) Chuck: They Said Once I Turn 18 People Could Benefit From My Blood Donations
(11:30:46 AM) Pat: You're bull******** me.
(11:30:48 AM) Chuck: No Lies
(11:30:54 AM) Chuck: My Daddy Even Laughed
(11:30:56 AM) Chuck: He's Like
(11:31:01 AM) Chuck: You're So Lucky You've Got Your Mothers Genes

Re: Andy
He is also an avid skateboarder, and I let him know that CrossFit would strengthen his push and increase his balance.

I used to be a PSO addict (different video game)... Over a period of 2.5 years, I built up about 4000 hours on that game. Yes, that's alot. A whole lot. Don't bother calculating the hours per day. Just know it's alot. Then I took an interest in my health. I still play some video games, just barely any though.

Re: Andres
Actually, one of the things I showed him was a video of the "300" actors training. He said that looked like it'd be so fun. I said that's essentially CrossFit (however, I assume they worked out for much longer and had really specialized diets to get THAT ripped).
Old 06-09-2007, 06:17 PM   #13
James Falkner

Profile:
A few of us have established #crossfit IRC chat channel on irc.freenode.net if anyone's interested... PM me for instructions if interested!
Old 06-09-2007, 10:08 PM   #14
Paul Findley

Profile:
I have to say, I just scanned the thread, but I am now crossfitting with two former WOW addicts. I on the other had never had a problem with WOW...really, no really, ok I have a THOTBOTT link on my browser as I type. But I have let my account expire for the 2nd time now, kind of like dumping the gin in the sink.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:14 AM   #15
Chris Honnon

Profile:
2 x Ultima Online accounts gone stagnant here; haven't played in the 6 weeks I've been CF'ng. Hundreds of hours over four years that I'll never get back <sigh>.

Personally I don't believe in trying to talk people into making healthy choices, experience has shown me that I will never be successful. Inevitably though, whenever I talk about fitness with someone, my enthusiasm for Crossfit comes out and can be overwhelming :-P However, I believe in being a power of example. When other people see what I'm doing and notice the results I let them know what I'm doing and offer what I can for resources.

What I know can barely fill a thimble compared to some others here but, as the saying goes, someone with 1 day of experience has much to offer someone with no experience!

Chris