CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #11
Emily Maisannes

Profile:
Re: how to progress with pull ups from 2 to many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan Nicholson View Post
ok sorry for sounding dumb, Step 1:1,1,1,1,1 means i just do 1 pull up, then break and do whatever other exercise i am doing on that WOD, then 1 again, then other excercise, 1 again ect..?Or you mean just each day for instance with Step 1: i try do 1 pull up 5 times through out a day?
Start at whatever step you can do. So since you have 2 pull ups, start with step 2.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:19 PM   #12
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan Nicholson View Post
ok sorry for sounding dumb, Step 1:1,1,1,1,1 means i just do 1 pull up, then break and do whatever other exercise i am doing on that WOD, then 1 again, then other excercise, 1 again ect..?Or you mean just each day for instance with Step 1: i try do 1 pull up 5 times through out a day?
I think you need to clarify this part. I want to make sure that you fully understand how a typical CrossFit WOD (read: MetCon) is conducted. Whatever WOD is posted on CrossFit.com (and thus whatever scaled version you're doing from BrandX) is to be completed, in its entirety, as fast as possible. There are some exceptions to this (i.e.: the 1-1-1... Squat Clean WOD from a few days ago), but if it says, "For Time" or "As many rounds as possible in XX minutes" then you only take enough of a break between reps to shake out your arms and take a few quick breaths. You shouldn't have the energy or desire (or time!) to go over and do some other exercise (in your case: the pullups).

If you are really intent on doing the Recon Ron program (which I REALLY REALLY feel is a waste of energy in your case, because there are so many other skills that you can work on that WON'T get better simply by doing the WODs), then it should be done either either between your warm-up and WOD (this is where Skill work falls during normal CrossFit programming) or at a completely different time of day.

- Alex

Last edited by Alex Europa : 02-20-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #13
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Ewan- I believe the way it's written means do 1 pullup, rest a bit (maybe a minute?) do another pullup, rest a bit, do another pullup, etc. It doesn't mean go off and do something else and come back. Rest just long enough to recover so you can do the next one.
Does that make sense?
Btw, I don't want to argue with Alex at all... he's a CF Affiliate, so he knows a heck of a lot more than I do!
Old 02-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #14
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Lore View Post
Ewan- I believe the way it's written means do 1 pullup, rest a bit (maybe a minute?) do another pullup, rest a bit, do another pullup, etc. It doesn't mean go off and do something else and come back. Rest just long enough to recover so you can do the next one.
Does that make sense?
This is precisely what I was trying to say...thank you for your eloquence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Lore View Post
Btw, I don't want to argue with Alex at all... he's a CF Affiliate, so he knows a heck of a lot more than I do!
Definitely no argument coming from my end! And for the record, being an affiliate does NOT make someone infallible! Especially in my case!

- Alex
Old 02-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #15
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

Ewan,

No, it means do 1 pull up, take a break for 30s-a few minutes. Do another one. Repeat. It should only take 8-10 minutes to complete all of the pull ups.