CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #11
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:
Re: squishy lady starting xfit

Caitlin, welcome!

And, even though you're across the country from CT, please stop by our blog -- http://www.crossfitwatertown.com (wfs) -- I think you'll find it very welcoming. We understand where you're coming from.

Good luck -- and come join the party in the Girl Power thread! We're all about motivation and community. Glad to have you on board.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:39 PM   #12
Parth Shah

Profile:

Caitlin, welcome.

And those scaled workouts are awesome! Thanks.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:25 PM   #13
Hope Strueby

Profile:

You can do it!

Lots of good advice given.

I started two months ago.
40 and squishy.
have gone from a 14 to an 8 and still loosing...though don['t be surprised if you can tell more from the way your clothes fit than by the scale...I've only dropped about 5 pounds...(muscle weighs more etc. etc.)

Diet is incredibly important! I started with the Abs diet, but have moved on to the Zone. Pick what is best for you and know that its okay to go slow and take your time figuring things out for yourself.

No matter what you do it is going to be hard and it's going to hurt.

You can do it!

Just think about one WOD at a time-- someitmes it'll be just thinking about the next rep...heehee.

Crossfit will meet you where you are and you won't meet a finer group of people working just as hard.

hope
Old 06-17-2008, 10:48 PM   #14
Rebecca Ralls

Profile:

Welcome to the forums Caitlin! And welcome to crossfit, too.

When my husband first started telling me about WOD's that handstand pushups (hspu) and 100's of pullups and pushups I thought he HAD to be joking. I also thought that anything that considered HSPU a 'standard' skill must be WAY too hard for me to even attempt.

The fantastic thing about CF, though, is that you can scale it to the level you're at and just work at that level till you're ready to move it up. There are modifications for everything, and reducing the number of reps is also an option. Brand X is a great place to start, even just to get an idae of what sorts of things can be substituted for exercises x, y, or z.

I've only been doing this about two months - and HSPU's are still a LONG way off but I'm moving up my weights and modifying less often.

The rapid results for a beginner are extremely gratifying. Just make sure you don't push yourself so hard that you're too tired and sore to come back and do it some more, and remember that rest days are important too

Diet really does make a huge difference though - and your body will tell you so. The difference in performance between a good eating day and a cheat eating day will be noticeably different. In a big way that's what makes it easy to stick to the diet: positive reinforcement from obvious performance gains from eating right, and negative reinforcement from obvious performance loss from eating poorly.

... sorry that turned into sort of a novel .. That's probably more than you were looking for

So um - welcome and have fun!
Old 06-17-2008, 11:21 PM   #15
Stephen Smith

Profile:

Welcome, squishy lady! Nothing to add to what these fine people have already said, except to tell you to just jump in that pit and start kicking ***! Scale to whatever you have to, starting out, just don't let up and you'll be amazed at what you can do.