CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-15-2008, 02:54 AM   #11
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
Re: Brand-spank'n-new

This is an oft discussed topic,
my idea is that if I'm strong enough to do the WOD as rxed, than that is the best way to improve my WOD performance. There are a lot of other ways to do it, or you can combine several different approaches (sometimes scaling,sometimes not.) If you're strong enough to move the weight and the "cardio" throws you add intervals to your warm up, or just be slow until you're faster. If I'm only competing against me, and it's MY workout, I can change it however I need to to make it work for me.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:13 AM   #12
Bil Christopher

Profile:

Thanks for the suggestions and comments (most of you). As Robert described, I am strong enough to do all of the exercises at the prescribed weight and am familiar enough with my body to know what pace I need to hit in order to keep moving without taking a break every other rep. My times just bite. I am making sure that I hit that zone that Kaala perfectly described as "I love air". So overall I believe I should just press on as rx'd and wait for my cardio to catch up.

Prior to posting here I checked the forum here and over at the BrandX board and all I found were people that were strong enough to move the weight but couldn't keep moving (i.e. had to take a lot of breaks) or couldn't move the weight safely. That's not me. Robert, Kaala, and Michael seemed to understand that and know what I was talking about. I will keep working out and deal with bad times knowing that they will improve as my cardio improves. And I will also look into scaling when I see a workout that is clearly outside of my strength/endurance abilities.

Thanks -
Old 05-15-2008, 01:59 PM   #13
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

I'm always the last in my affiliate class to finish a metabolic conditioning WOD. It's usually because I didn't scale or didn't scale much. I'm interested in increasing my strength as well as the other aspects of fitness. There are plenty of bodyweight WODs that you can just do as Rx'd and let your time keep improving. Cindy, for example is bodyweight and few reps, except you are doing as many rounds as you can in 20 minutes. That's an easy one to tell how your time is improving. You do more rounds, and you are less nauseous/wiped/other.
There are some very high rep bodyweight WODs, i.e. Angie, that are a ton of reps even for a very strong person. The soreness level is usually much higher on the metabolic conditioning workouts(metcon). You might want to read some of the threads on Rhabdo, a serious kidney condition from very high reps, and muscle breakdown, before your have a certain type of conditioning under your belt. I just started doing the high rep wods after 6 months of cf. I pace myself. On the other hand, if you can do Fran as Rx'd, go for it, and let your time keep improving.
Welcome to crossfit and the forum. It's a super community, and we all have similar questions. Enjoy sharing our experiences through past threads.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #14
Randy Strauss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bil Christopher View Post
<snip>Completely out-of-shape POS" cuz that is exactly how I felt after seeing my times were consistently 8+ minutes worse than the times establishing the catagory of beginner.<snip>

Bil
I've only been doing the crossfit thing for less than a month and this is my first post to these fora.

In my not so humble opinion, competition is good, but when training you should only be competing with your last best effort. Forget what other people are doing and focus on what's best for you. Good coaches will tweak your performance but won't be measuring you against the other people in the gym, so why should you?
Old 05-15-2008, 02:57 PM   #15
Justin Shipley

Profile:

Just stick at it, times will improve.
As for other gym goers, just lock into the zone... with repeated application you'll find very quickly that you are only dimly aware that there ARE other gym goers around you...