CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #11
David Barnes Langston Jr

Profile:
Re: Intensity Question

When I started I informed my trainer that I had had surgeries (back surgery being one of them) and that I was concerned about getting hurt. My coach didn't let me do a lot of stuff until she thought I was ready. I'd question her about something and she'd simply tell me that she was worried I'd get hurt until she thought I was ready. I pretty much do what she says because she has been training people for years and should know. Now I'm doing tons of stuff and with more weight and my back is better than it was when I went in. I don't Rx anything, but I figure I've got plenty of time to get there. I'm taking it slow. I'm 46 and I've lost almost 30 lbs of fat since I started 8 months ago. I started out with PVC and now I'm doing METCONs with 95 lb barbells. My cardio has improved more than my strength. My advice is to not rush things and enjoy the slow ride. The ride will stop if you get hurt. I'm still trying to figure myself out so far as diet and exercise. My coach doesn't like for me to compare myself to others, even though I get bummed about being last or getting beaten by folks that haven't been doing CF as long as I have. We all come in at different levels and we all have different potentials based on genetics, age, body style, etc. Hope this helps.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

3 months is not a long time. Get consistent with coming in.

I know in some, many martial art gyms that the senior students, sempai won't really care to give you much attention until you've put in a good 6 months. It shows a commitment to train and that they aren't wasting their time on a newbie that's gonna leave.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #13
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Agree with a lot of what has been said above.

3 months is not that long...I could not even go 5 days a week until around 3 months due to being so sore. I made it a goal to get to Rx on weights as quickly as possible where it made sense. I ALWAYS asked my coaches what they thought. If they said, "scale it to such and such weight" I would do so. Many times, they would say, "this WOD should be done in around xxx time...so we'll scale it so you hit that time". 99% of the time, they were right. Examples - I did not try Grace at 135 my first go even though I could hit that weight on a C&J no problem. The issues was doing it 30 reps for time...they did not want to see my sitting there for 10 minutes. Hit it at 115 at that weight was perfect. Did it again 4-5 months later at 135. A WOD like DT was the same - scaled that one twice then hit it Rx 4-5 months later.

You need to be patient and ignore what others are doing. Yes, I have friendly competitions with guys at my gym but if they decide to try a big weight on a WOD and I don't feel I can do it, I don't. We some times talk each other into doing something difficult together (like Rx-ing the Seven WOD) but again, we know each other and our limits very well. We push one another...lose your ego, listen to the coaches and if you are confused or disagree, have a polite discussion about it.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:01 AM   #14
Bryan Hood

Profile:

Interesting vid from Glassman about intensity. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmfBpqg5T0A (wfs)
Old 05-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #15
Ben H Young

Profile:

Honestly, it might have more to do with ego. I used to workout like a bodybuilder where weight was king. Now it's not. Endurance has always been a week point for me, so it would only make sense do drop the weight....especially on an AMRAP. And to tell you the truth since going lighter this it hasn't made a huge difference in intensity. I hope to push it to 4 days a week here soon and then after a while 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
No reason to take offense unless your ego is taking a hit?

We teach: technique > load > intensity

First get get the movement right.

Second add some weight without hurting technique

then and only then

go fast

It sounds to me like your coach just isn't confident in your abilities and decision making yet. If I was going to grant unsupervised access to a gym I owned I would want to make damn sure the person knows what they are doing and will be safe as possible even with no one around.