CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 09-03-2008, 09:45 PM   #1
Bob Garon II

Profile:
Thumbs up New Article On "Straight To The Bar.com"- The History and Fu

I recently wrote an exclusive article for Straight To The Bar.com and it is now available.
Here is an excerpt from my article titled: "The History and Future of Standard".

http://www.bobgarontraining.com/080904_saxon.jpg
Arthur Saxon

"When I think of strength and someone who is fit I do not think of someone who goes out and runs long distances. Now that may be a matter of opinion, but surely I am not alone in this thinking. Where people got the idea that running for long distances is actually good for the body I have no idea....

...People of today are not pillars of strength by any means and I don’t care if you can toss kegs over a wall or drag a train a few feet on its tracks. That says nothing about Warrior Strength to me. Of course those folks are strong, but they do not possess the kind of true strength of men such as Milo, Arthur Saxon (pictured above), Sig Klien, and Eugen Sandow.
"

Look back for inspiration and forward for results. You will love this read.

Follow the link to read the rest of the article: The History and Future of Standard

When you are done please comment to tell me what you thought.
Thanks

-Bob Garon II
Old 09-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: New Article On "Straight To The Bar.com"- The History and Fu

You spent alot of time talking about running for a strength article. ALso, I would have gone into strength feats that stand to this day set by Saxon and sandow and so on and why they are more impressize than pulling a train or other strong man contests.

I certianly agree that strength is not nearly respected enough as a physical attribute by todays thinking. OR maybe it's that it's highly respected and feared and people do not think they can attain it.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
Bob Garon II

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
You spent alot of time talking about running for a strength article. ALso, I would have gone into strength feats that stand to this day set by Saxon and sandow and so on and why they are more impressize than pulling a train or other strong man contests.

I certianly agree that strength is not nearly respected enough as a physical attribute by todays thinking. OR maybe it's that it's highly respected and feared and people do not think they can attain it.
Yeah I took a different approach to this as some may expect; however my goal was to simply point out the thought process as well as propaganda currently exercised by the fitness community and in turn inspire as many as I could to follow what actually works because it has been time tested.

I will not deny the fact that running indeed does do something for individual's health, but ultimately and overall it is inferior due to its inefficiency to other methods.

Thanks for your kind comments.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Bob, please remember to follow the requirement to affirmatively designate any link you post as "work and family safe" (or not).
Old 09-04-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
Bob Garon II

Profile:

Absolutely! My bad... I forgot.

Thanks for the reminder.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

In that regards it makes more sense.

If you're going to base fitness on running 26.2 miles, at least be able to do something once you get there.