CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-01-2010, 01:19 AM   #1
Amanda Rodriguez

Profile:
I Want To Be A Kipper!

So here is the deal-E-O. I can do around 9-10 strict pullups but cant seem to get the kipping rhythm. I have tried 3-4 times already but cant seem to get it past 2. I've seen enough videos and had someone show me, but no luck. I am hoping sometime soon i will catch on. Trying not to get frustrated

Is there any other thing I should try and do? I can do a kipping pullup or 2 but then i reset straight down and loose the pace...BOO!

I am hoping to upload a video manana and see if anyone can comment or share advice

fitxfiles.blogspot.com

NITE PEEPS! many thanks!
Old 09-01-2010, 06:27 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: I Want To Be A Kipper!

It takes a while to go from 2 kipping pullups to 10+...for some people the rhythm just doesn't come naturally and it falls apart after the first few. Just keep it up, it'll come with practice. Have you checked out all the kipping tutorial videos on mainsite and the CFJ?
Old 09-01-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
Andrew Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Rodriguez View Post
but then i reset straight down and loose the pace...BOO!
I am not sure if you are trying to push away at the top of the pull-up or not, but when I read the above it made me thing of what helped me to improve.

When I learned to better push away from the bar at the top, it helped my rhythm tremendously.

If I drop straight down from the top, it kills my momentum, if I really focus on pushing away at the top, it helps me set right in to the next kipping pull-up.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

Well, you'll need to die and be reincarnated as a herring first.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Your mileage may vary, but kipping finally clicked for me after all of this:
  • Strength/weight ratio got where it needed to be. For a while, I was just too weak and too heavy.
  • I stopped taking kips so seriously and instead just played around with them. It became a regular thing for me to go to the bar after a WOD and just swing for a while. Freeing my body up instead of getting all mechanical about it helped a lot.
  • I sat around and watched others. I think that just watching other people helped my brain to absorb the technique and pattern more than when I tried to do it myself.
  • Doing lots of WOD kipping pullups using a band.
- Mark
Old 09-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
Amanda Rodriguez

Profile:

Thanks! hopefully i will get the rhythm down shortly. It just suck cuz it feels so weird to kip so I'll kip 1 or 2 times then go straight to strict pullups

I was watching some videos last night and i've been reading but i just have to get out there and really practice.

Would it be beneficially to get a high box (or use a band) to stand on to practice pushing my self away from the bar?

Thanks again for the advice! I am going to video record myself tomorrow and post it to my blog [url]www.fitxfiles.blogspot.com[/u
You must indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe (WFS).so feel free to help a sista out
Old 09-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
*** just suck cuz it feels so weird to kip so I'll kip 1 or 2 times then go straight to strict pullups.
Not unusual. In my still relatively limited experience, it's common for new kippers to struggle with stringing them together.

Quote:
Would it be beneficially to get a high box (or use a band) to stand on to practice pushing my self away from the bar?
Maybe. Probably not, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Quote:
...so feel free to help a sista out.
Will if I think about it. I'm hardly a kip-master, but I'll pitch in if I can.

- Mark
Old 09-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #8
Meghan Reid

Profile:

To be completely honest, my body just started to kip naturally as I would fatigue during high rep pullup workouts. It didn't start pretty and it's far from perfect now, but it gets the job done. Using momentum. Just like your body naturally wants to push press when you can't strict press a weight overhead.

I know that's not helpful, so...something that has helped me string them together is consciously pushing back and away from the bar at the start, which sets you up for a nice swing through with your chest rather than dropping right down.

Whoops, this is me reading previous posts! What Andrew said.

Last edited by Meghan Reid : 09-02-2010 at 10:17 AM. Reason: I don't read well.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #9
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:

You can get a box that lets you stand on the balls of your feet (barely tippy toed) to stretch up to the bar and work the swing with your feet on the box. Pull forward with your chest, then push back and spring up. Then, at the top push back off the bar and try to place your feet in the same spot.

I may be explaining this poorly, if so, PM me.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
Walker Fenz

Profile:

Amanda,

Plus 1 for Mark's idea to just relax and have fun with it, play around a bit. Some people get so caught up mechanically, they cant just swing like a kid and feel the natural rythm.

As for dropping straight down from the top....One drill we do with our on rampers is to have them hold a PVC right under their chin (like at the top of a pull up). From there, straighten your arms out in front of you, pushing the PVC out away from you, then your arms overhead and then behind your ears. From that top postion (front part of kip swing) bring PVC around in front of you/close the shoulder angle to bring the PVC under your chin. From the side, the PVC looks like its tracing the letter C. This movement mimics what is happening when pull ups are connected.

Anywho, we have them do this motion several times, then hop back on the bar. For some it works like magic.

One last thing, only because it really chaps my hide when I see it in training videos: keep your legs straight. No kicking/frog leg type motion. Use the lower half of your body as a giant lever.