CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 06-02-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
Departed

Profile:  
Conversation w/ a soldier at the gym yesterday

I'm a civilian and work on an Army base overseas. I just started doing Crossfit with a co-worker to a small gym at her husband's unit. Only her husband and 1 other guy do Xfit regularly there. A couple of other soldiers use the gym for their own workouts. Some might do a Xfit workout on occasion.

So, I'm waiting for the guys to get there for the day's workout and asked one of the other soldiers I've seen around whether they're doing the Xfit workout with us. His reply was, "Nah, I don't do that Crossfit stuff. All the guys who do it fail their PT tests because they're not working the right things."

I just thought it was a weird comment.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: Conversation w/ a soldier at the gym yesterday

So...you met someone who has a different opinion than you?
Old 06-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
Departed

Profile:  

I meet people with different opinions than mine all of the time. I don't generally have a problem with that. I'm not quite sure why my finding someone's comment odd would mean that I am judgmental and can't handle people having opinions that differ with mine.

What I found weird about this is that Crossfit seems to be much more popular within the armed services than with the general public who works out. It doesn't seem like so many soldiers, marines, & airmen would be doing it and sticking with it if it didn't work.

I just couldn't figure out why this guy would think doing Xfit would make him start failing PT tests, or that those who have started doing Crossfit and fail PT tests are failing BECAUSE of Crossfit.

Last edited by Amy Cobb : 06-02-2010 at 09:14 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
Eric S. Jensen

Profile:

My PFT scores have gotten worse since stopping xfit and doing PT with my Platoon. Thankfully I've got time to start xfitting again.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

If you train for combat readiness you probably won't get a perfect PFT score. If you train for a perfect PFT score you probably won't be very combat ready.

That's part of the reason the Marine Corps got smart and introduced the Combat Fitness Test which now weighs just as much as the PFT in terms of promotions and what goes on your fitness reports. The CFT resembles a CF workout and gives a much better representation on how combat ready and useful someone is.

All that being said, my best PFT score in the last 5 years came when I'd been doing nothing but CF.com for about 4 or 5 months. So I don't know what "right things" that soldier was talking about CF not working.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
Shane Skowron

Profile:

From what I understand the PT tests are pretty easy by Crossfit standards. Just because you do Crossfit doesn't mean you'll pass but I would expect that anyone with a decent CF fitness level should be able to pass it.

That said, I don't think CrossFit alone is enough to maintain competitive scores on some of these tests. Personally I'm training for a test that involves 500yd swim, 2 min pushups, 2 min situps, max strict pullups, and 1.5 mile run. I could probably pass it by doing Crossfit alone, but I don't think there's any way someone could achieve the scores that I want without training for it specifically (which is what I do). And passing just isn't good enough.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:36 AM   #7
David Meverden

Profile:

I would have asked the guy to go into more detail. I find it hard to believe that the CFers were actually FAILING. Sounds like an unfounded rumor that might have been revealed as such if you'd gone digging.

Any CFer with reasonable scores should pass a PT test fairly easily. But as Shane says, who just wants to pass? If I were in the military I would absolutely do work specifically aimed for the test in order to blow that thing out of the water.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:34 AM   #8
Casey Raiford

Profile:

+1 to everything David said.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:18 AM   #9
Departed

Profile:  

I'll be seeing this guy around, so maybe I'll get a chance to ask him more details at some point. I didn't at the time because I don't really know him and so many people interpret someone asking questions as someone "questioning" them. I also wasn't all that comfortable asking given that I'm pretty out of shape myself these days and have been doing Xfit all of 1.5 weeks now. I didn't want to sound like I was defending something I know so little about at this stage.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:01 AM   #10
Jeff Stanek

Profile:

Keep in mind that "soldier" is a VERY broad term. The difference between infantry and finance is pretty big, especially when it comes to a fitness perspective as well.

I've gotten my best PFT score by consistent CrossFit. It trained my body to run at a higher average speed (because of the shorter distance runs involved in CF) but still be able to maintain that speed over a longer period of time (endurance).

If you're moderately concerned with your diet and CrossFit regularly, a PFT isn't anything to worry about. And its not the most important thing in the world, either.