CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-09-2010, 07:41 AM   #1
Joseph Nichols

Profile:
Building my Own Pull-Up bar.

Hey,
I've been working through some ideas about how I should build my pull-up bar in my back yard, and I just have a couple questions about the specs: what size bar do I use for the grip? 3/4, 1 inch, 1 1/2? Also, what is the standard height at which I place the grip? I'm 6 ft. tall, so should it be around 8 feet or so - that way I need to do a moderate hop to get up to the bar?

For me, I really just want this bar to be in my backyard for convenience. Also, I want to get better at bar muscle-ups, they look fun, and a lot more functional than ring muscle-ups.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Carlos Cristan

Profile:
Re: Building my Own Pull-Up bar.

It depends on the pipe and how its measured(o.d. or inner diameter). I went with 3/4 galvanized plumbing pipe for my garage gym. Its measured (id) so the circumference ends up being about 1". Really just see what feels good for you. I know at least in my case that if the bar is too small the skin on my hands bind and fold more leading to more tears. Too large a bar will challenge your grip strength. I personally wouldn't go smaller than 1" O.D or the 3/4 galvanized.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...ht=pullup+bars (w/f s)
Old 06-09-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
Thomas Covington

Profile:

Most got with 1" (inner) to arrive at 1.25" (outter).
Old 06-09-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
Seth Spritz

Profile:

Joseph, I agree with Thomas. My outdoor pull-up bar is "one inch" pipe which has an actual outside diameter of apx 1.315". The height is around 7-1/2 feet from the ground with another 12" headroom. At 5'10" I can just about reach the bar without jumping and the grip is comfortable with my smaller hands. I checked out the grip on the nominally labeled .75", 1.0" & 1.25" pipes at the hardware before building my pull-up station. The pergola design here http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=57437 WFS with four posts gives you a rock solid pull-up station. The beautiful stainless steel bar in the photo was custom made by Brian Yates (PM me if you would like his contact info).

You'll enjoy having an outdoor workout area for a change of pace on nice days. Good luck with your project

Last edited by Seth Spritz : 06-09-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
Michael Houghton

Profile:

You may want to make it a little bit higher if you are going to want to hang rings as well. Just put a 4x4 or 2x4 next to the side and bolt it on so you have a step to get up to the bar.