CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-10-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
Scott Dusty Rhodes

Profile:
Baby boomers, please respond! Is anyone on here as old as me?

I'm 55 and want to get into CF. I've tried it twice and both times injured myself. Once on my own and once at a CF facility. Am I too old for this? It seems most of the posters are much younger. I come from the standard 8-12 rep/set program. Should I just throw in a few of the metcons a couple of times per week? I also love to run; 5 miles once or twice a week and one longer run around 7 or 8 miles(longest so far is 9 miles). Is it unrealistic to think I can add some muscle and still run two or three times a week? I'm looking for a good balance but I'm not sure how to set up a good program. I used CF before when I was training for a race, and while my stamina was great, I couldn't get my legs to move fast enough to push my respiration to the limit.

Baby boomer, please respond!
Old 08-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
Peter Nathan

Profile:
Re: Baby boomers, please respond! Is anyone on here as old as me?

Scott,

I'm 57 yrs old and have been crossfitting for 5 years. I own GunxCrossFit in New Paltz, NY. www.gunxcrossfit.com(wfs) I just posted a thread under "testimonials" titled "regularly learn and play new sports". You are not too old. You can get stronger add muscle and learn new skills. Make sure you go gradually. Check you ego and look at the Brand X scaled WODs. Instruction from a certified trainer will help. I would cut back on the runs to 5k. Work on mobility. It is essential for proper performance of the oly lifts, and it is the key to countering the consequences of aging (and long distance running.) Good luck, and stick with it.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

I'm a youngster at age 46...but take it easy and work your way into it. If you get hurt it means your not warming up, not scaling, not using proper technique, etc. CF can definitely help your fitness, check out an affiliate if you can, if not educate yourself as much as you can, then EASE into it. Enjoy.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
mike goddard

Profile:

Scott -

I'm a man...I'm fifty. I hear you. I have always run races and competed in body building once (never again - not genetically predisposed or chemically enhanced).

My current 5k is 23:50, 315 squat, 220 bench, at 185 pounds and i can say I have never tried any Crossfit work outs. I just joined this MB with intentions of trying them. I still evaluate my condition every summer on the slalom course and my 5K. Man....I am not very strong but I sure am slow My past fitness level is gone and it is not from missing workouts.

My goal is to reduce my body weight from 185 to 170 to 175 with out giving up too much muscle mass.

I found this sight after posting the above 5K time (way down from my past 18's). I noticed too many people less "fit looking" running faster than me and I felt gassed.

The WOD's are intimidating to look at. I have trained hard for over 25 years and at 50+ I intend to "transition" into this after some education. I intend to have a plan before I get going. Any help with that would be appreciated. I have have little time to work on it and doing my old work outs still challenge me.

I can see how this would hurt you. I envision chuck buckets around. In an attempt to "transition" to crossfit fitness i have increased the reps. today was leg day....after my normal 100# (3x10) walking lunges I did 100 rep leg exercises...squats, presses and extensions......chuck bucket!!! I did this last week....this weeks DPS (delyaed pain syndrome) should be less debilitating. and the soreness is gone.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
Tom Girouard

Profile:

Hey all, just saw this. Sure there are lots of us. Check out our meeting place at http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=39289 (WFS) Old people getting it done.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
Patricia Seip

Profile:

Scott,
Being the babiest of the boomers (45), and relatively new to Crossfit, I do have something to add. I have seen people with relatively no fitness background do Crossfit (very scaled) and have success after success. Hang in there, man, you can do it, and this is much better than anything else out there anyway! I am training hard and learning so much it's amazing - these people are so dedicated to fitness and watching others succeed as well.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
Lee Hoy

Profile:

Just let www.crossfitbrandx.com (w/f/s) and the scaled workouts there be your friend.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
John Devine

Profile:

Scott, the short answer is an emphatic YES, YOU CAN! It sounds like you already have a good fitness base. You just need to adjust to the intensity of the CF routines. One of my biggest gripes about CF affiliates is that the vast majority of trainers do not now what it's like to have a 50 YO body. BTW, I'm 47 and my wife is 53. I just started her and she's doing great.

In addition to scaling the loads and the reps as has been suggested, you need to scale the intensity until you get used to the movements. Probably around 3 weeks or so. You also need to use near perfect form. If you do those things you will not get injured.

Best of luck. Once you get into it, you won't look back.

-jd
Old 08-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
James R. Climer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Devine View Post
One of my biggest gripes about CF affiliates is that the vast majority of trainers do not now what it's like to have a 50 YO body. BTW, I'm 47 and my wife is 53. I just started her and she's doing great.

In addition to scaling the loads and the reps as has been suggested, you need to scale the intensity until you get used to the movements. Probably around 3 weeks or so. You also need to use near perfect form. If you do those things you will not get injured.

Best of luck. Once you get into it, you won't look back.

-jd

49 year-old here, been at this since I was 44, and although I am not 55, I can say that I am definitely not 44 anymore. Day by day, Crossfit becomes less of a sport and more of an art. Balancing and/or matching current recovery capacity and fragility with physical ability on a sliding scale of aging
is going to involve guess work as well as luck.

I would like to add that the diet and sleep angle gets more important as time goes by. I seem to do OK by regularly scaling back and stopping short of max RPM just to get some day-to-day consistancy. Then I can go for it occasionally when a challenge presents itself that piques my interest.

I find that a down period is usually the price to pay following a PR, but then the forced down time of just increased rest days and warmup-only days (sometimes as long as 2 weeks) I come back stronger at something I was working on prior to the rest.

I was very active in my youth, and so I have this model in my mind of being able to practice football every day and play a game on the weekend, (who remembers two weeks of 2-a-day practices?), then
hockey AND basketball in the winter, track AND baseball in the spring, just baseball in the summer round every season there was something to work on and there never was a question if you could be ready to go tomoorow. I am only beginning to realize that this is what is in my mind as normal activity, and I always thought I would be able to carry it out. Hell what did I know about work and family life and just plain aging?

If you were to give yourself 6 months of gentle, gradual, consistent (sometimes defined as 2 steps forward, 1 step back) injury-free buildup to going at it as Rx, 3 on, 1 off main page WODs, I'm sure somewhere in that time you'd learn to read your physical and mental limits better than anyone could extrinsically tell you. It would also be a good time to learn the best recovery techniques.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:28 AM   #10
Scott Dusty Rhodes

Profile:

Wow! All this response! I guess there really are people out there from m,m,my g,g,generation. This must be the place for me to be because I keep coming back to it again and again.

I'll try incorporating these workouts in slowly and see if that makes a difference. It's hard to just trash what I've been doing for so long, though. I'm really looking for a good balance of stength training, running, and functional movement. I hope this is it.

But first...

I have to heal my shoulder. Doing PT now. I should be back in action in a couple of months. Looking forward to joining you guys and gals full time.

Thanks for the encouragement.------[now where did I put that Kool Aid?]