CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 10-27-2008, 06:32 PM   #1
Bart Hodlik

Profile:
How much does that baby cost?

So my wife and I are contemplating having kids next year. Since most people that post on here, have similar lifestyles/health interests, I was wondering what its been costing new or somewhat new parents to feed and take care of their new babies. What are some expected costs, and some of the unexpected costs? And how did you handle nutrition?
Old 10-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
Michael Ricketts

Profile:
Re: How much does that baby cost?

I couldn't tell you a dollar figure but my son was very expensive. The best way to curb that cost though was through goodwill and other thrift stores. Baby toys and clothes don't get much use due to the kid growing so fast, so the ones at the thrift stores are in great condition and can be picked up very cheap. As for nutrition, now that he is eating regular food we just feed him whatever we are eating. Before that we made our own babyfood with a food proccessor.

Hope I helped a little!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
Sara Schroeder

Profile:

I don't remember how much a baby costs, as mine is 12 years old now! But I've heard it said that a child costs approximately $160,000 total to raise....this info makes for great comebacks when I hear "But mom, why can't I (fill in the blanks)?"
Old 10-27-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
David Sharp

Profile:

Most expensive pet you'll ever have.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:39 PM   #5
Dave Gibbs

Profile:

3 kids = skint for life. Enjoy!
Old 10-27-2008, 11:44 PM   #6
Manuel DeLeon

Profile:

once they are born and you look into the eyes of a brand new human being who is 50 percent you. Priceless....you will pay whatever it takes to keep that baby happy. Now, when that baby grows into a teenager...

but if you want a number... estimated $250,000 I believe most of it is medical costs and college

try this link it was interesting.

http://www.babycenter.com/cost-of-ra...ild-calculator

w/f/s

Last edited by Manuel DeLeon; 10-27-2008 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: added the link
Old 10-28-2008, 02:27 AM   #7
Bart Hodlik

Profile:

that calculator was an eye opener. I like how it broke down the individual costs. I'm curious to know how they calculate some of that stuff.
I know having a kid is going to be expensive over time. Not concerned about that. But I am curious to know how the first few years go. As I think that period of time, is when they need the more specialized stuff, like the baby food, diapers, and what not. I think everyone is able to guess the major things a child would need in its first few years, but I know there have to be some hidden costs that parents didn't expect. I've looked at the labels on baby food, and quite frankly it scares the S__T out of me. Having learned what I have about nutrition from here, I don't think I've read much discussion on infant nutrition. Anyone have any good sources?
Old 10-28-2008, 03:54 AM   #8
Jill Zimmerman

Profile:

Just having mine cost the same amount of money each time with less complicatons. 27 year old week in the hospital 7 grand, 25 year old 5 days 7 grand, 19 year old 2 days 7 grand, 13 year old 20 hrs 7 grand. Insurance pad for most of it each time.
Cost of first couple years if you have well baby insurance is next to nothing IF you breast feed - free hot milk anytime it wants it and if you use cloth diapers will save you gobs of money and wash them yourself a serivce is just a waste of money in my book. Plastic diapers are an abomination as far as the environment goes.
I bought into the Va prepaid education system for my boys. 250 bucks a month for many many years means free education in Va state school for both kids. 18 grand in 19 year old's account and he gets four free years. Much pricier than that if I had to pay for it at today's rates. Same for 13 year old he will have 18 grand or so which will entitled him to a 50 thousand+ dollar education.
Want to go to a fancy school? go there for grad school. I wanted to go to Princeton, my Dad said you have a choice you can go in-state or in-state. I was ****ed but he was right. UVa has served me well for both undergrad and grad school. Both girls went here too and son will be when he straightens his gpa up at the community college. But with that said Harvard has some deal where if you are poor your kid can go for free. But room and board is a lot too. Your kids live where you are that saves many thousands too.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:31 AM   #9
Tim Luby

Profile:

As foolish as this sounds, my advice is to not even think about the cost. Trust me, you will find a way to make it work. As far as nutrition, hah! There's a lot you can control at the early stages, but once they get to be 1.5-2 years old, babies can get REALLY picky. We generally encourage eating veggies and all the good stuff, but there are times where chicken fingers and fries are all our little girl will eat. There's this whole balance between healthy eating and trying to get at least something into their stomach.

I'm not too concerned with our daughter having a 100% healthy diet FOR NOW, but when she gets a little older, I'm going to get much stricter.

Last edited by Tim Luby; 10-28-2008 at 06:38 AM..
Old 10-28-2008, 07:45 AM   #10
Tom Woodside

Profile:

Breast feeding has several advantages. Cost being a major one. Go look at how much a can of formula costs. It's rediculous!

My wife breast fed for the first 6 months and then we switched to formula. I wish we had gone longer. When she was breast feeding, I didn't have to get up in the middle of the night for feedings because there wasn't anything that I could add! That was nice.