CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
Krystal Palas

Profile:
Need to make it to regionals

I am a 24 year old woman training for the open/regionals. I started crossfit a month ago, and have picked up a lot in a short amount of time. My coaches must see something in me because they asked me to train to represent them at the next regionals. I am curious to know what other people think...
Can I get ready in 11 months? I have a lot of sports experience (gymnastics/soccer/track) and can do all of the WODs prescribed unless theres oly weightlifting (I only drop the weight 10-20 lbs depending on the lift to work on form).
More than anything, I have mental strength. I am determined to make this happen but need some suggestions!! What should I do from now until then?
What are some average times for benchmark WODS that I should be aiming for?
Thanks for any and all help.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Need to make it to regionals

Well, the first question is what will your coaches allow you to do?
Old 06-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Avg. 2010 games athletes (WFS)

some reason the 2011 site isn't working right now, but there are also statistics there for the qualifying athletes if you want to compare benchmarks, OLY lift numbers, etc.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
David Meverden

Profile:

As Chris said, what will your gym let you do? The programming that has propelled more athletes than any other to the games this year is Outlaw's stuff: http://outlawcoach.wordpress.com/ (sometimes not WFS. Foul language at the least) If you are already strong and have someone to help you with O-lifting form it would probably be the best programming for CF competition you would find outside of an experienced coach writing custom programming for you. If you aren't strong enough yet something with less conditioning and less O-lifting might be a good idea for the next few months to get stronger faster.

As for where you need to be for Regionals, have you given the Open WoDs from this year a try? Competition will be stiffer next year but doing those WoDs will let you see exactly where you stack up against this years competition and highlight your weak areas. If you can put up scores that would land you in the top 20 this year I bet you'd be a shoe in for next year.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
Ben Norris

Profile:

What are your strenght and O" Lifting numbers?
Old 06-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

if you really want to know, start doing some of the workouts... the WOD's from last year and this year's open and regionals, and then see where you would stack up, more specifically where you would stack up in your region. if your numbers are good enough that you think with a year of work your could be competitive, then the next step is to figure our your weak points and start working on those. you should probably also find a good coach and do what they say. if you box expects you to just show up and do the same WOD's everyday that everyone else in the box is doing then you probably won't make it. find some competitors, coaches, gyms in the region that are successful and spend some time with them. also go to local competitions and throwdowns to start getting some experience competing.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

What do your coaches suggest? If your coaches want you to represent them, I would hope they're not going to ask you to figure it all out on your own.

Now, the advice they give may or may not be any good. But it should still be your starting point: they know you better than we do, and they know what they can accommodate within their facility.

Katherine
Old 06-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

Can you throw a softball?
Old 06-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

First of all do you want to do it? Are your other athletic pursuits finished?

Second you represent yourself, your coaches should help you get there.

If you are interested in this pursuit you do have a good back ground to get very good very fast. Doesn't get much better then college level track and gymnastics as a back ground.

http://tribal-fitness.com/

Look under the 5/30 entry and you will see the average stats for the bottom 10 men and women who made the South West Regionals. As the author points out they then got crushed.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
Michael E Tancini

Profile:

Im a believer that anything is possible. If you want it bad enough you'll find a way. Just work your a** off, good things happen with hard work.