CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-06-2007, 10:16 PM   #1
Scott A. Fout

Profile:
Hey to all and let me start by saying thanks for a great program! I am a prior service Marine and a police officer who has just dropped 30lbs. in two and a half months a great portion of it is do to crossfit. Starting weight 215 Jan. 1st and current weight is 185 as of March 20th. My question is one of strength training and where to fit it in. I'm a novice with power and olympic lifts so I need so assistance. Any help would be great. Semper Fi and God bless you all.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Scott,

Glad to hear your with the program! Some people here do strength training in addition to or in lieu of the WOD, whereas others just do the WOD with the pure strength work-outs as they come. Check out Anthony Bainbridge's work-out log on the message boards for some ideas about substituting pure strength work-outs for the rx'd WOD. Some suggest substituting a strength work-out for the second of the three day WOD sequence as effective. There is a ton of info on these boards.

I had very little background in lifting and pretty much learned everything from this site (videos, message boards, etc.). Hire a coach if one is available, focusing on the deadlift, squat, press, and the oly lifts. If this isn't in the cards, definitely seek out and buy Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" for the basic lifts. The oly lifts are more difficult to learn on your own, but certainly possible to basic level of proficiency.

Good Luck!
Old 04-08-2007, 06:27 AM   #3
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
If you follow the WOD, you'll get just as much Max Effort work as most powerlifting routines. I get this question quite a bit on other forums and my response is always the same: list the last 14 days of workouts and demonstrate how much strength work is involved. So here we go ...

14: max effort deadlifts
13: repetition effort squats / handstands
12: metcon
11: rest
10: metcon
09: max effort clean & jerk
08: metcon
07: rest
06: max effort power clean
05: metcon
04: metcon
03: rest
02: max effort front squat
01: metcon

So in the past 2 weeks, there are 4 max effort days and 1 repetition effort day. If you look at a typical conjugated powerlifting routine (very common with westside barbell powerlifters), you'll notice they use 2 max effort lifts per week and 2 dynamic lifts per week.

Bottom line ... the WOD has PLENTY of strength work. ;)